Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 15, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #20,791 of 75,470
@golov17 thanks a bunch for posting those photos. Very interesting, especially the zen 1 photos. The drivers in the zen 1 do look very similar, if not identical to the 320 ohm driver in the TY-Hi-Z HP320M and Seahf Smart 1, but the foam arrangement is completely different. I just bought a zen 1 in the buy and sell section. When they come in I will take some measurements and since I have extra tuning foam here I may mess around with the TY and Seahf a bit to see if I can turn one of them into a Zen 1.
As an owner of Hp320M this is renew development. Go for it bro. I'm eagerly waiting for the result.

Jun 15, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #20,795 of 75,470
Does that not change their "tuning" by putting foams behind the drivers? Might they be "boomier", or do they sound better with their rear waves being diffused? Interesting concept.

Various buds reacts in different ways to the same modding. I stuck VE thin foams in my FAAEAL 300 DIY, the same way as in golov17's picture. The result was favorable. The overwhelming bass got less excessive and more controlled. And then I plugged the middle vent holes with cotton, which opened up the mids. The FAAEAL 300 DIY then went from totally useless to somewhat pleasing

Jun 15, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #20,796 of 75,470
There's yes and no answer to this, sorry sounds evasive. I look at it this way, you can use it with multiple sources so it's a win for that but the best environment would be straight balanced source with balanced plug. IMO balanced does not make a monumental jump out of your seats difference. I enjoy a balanced output but would not say it's something I always strive to find or require.

Thank you. So if I used a balanced pair of earbuds with say my non balanced Schiit Lyr or Dragonfly Red, will it still be balanced or am I just wasting my money on the balanced version? Or must I connect it to a source thats balanced?

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #20,797 of 75,470
I really like how my VE Asura 2.0 (2.5TRRS) earbuds sound, but I'd like to swap out the slightly short black cable, and re-wire them with the longer VE Espresso (2.5TRRS) cable that I've got. (I'll order another VE Espresso (2.5TRRS) cable. :slight_smile: )

BUT --- I don't want to damage them.

So, for those in the know, do the fronts of the Asura 2.0 pop off easily, or are they glued securely?

Thanks for any info!

Well, when looking closely through the translucent shell, using my magnifier - it appears that the black cable, even though it seems a bit short, is actually a thicker gauge of wire than the Espresso cable.
So, I don't think I'll rewire my Asura 2.0 right now, after all.

Jun 15, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #20,798 of 75,470
Thank you. So if I used a balanced pair of earbuds with say my non balanced Schiit Lyr or Dragonfly Red, will it still be balanced or am I just wasting my money on the balanced version? Or must I connect it to a source thats balanced?
Must connect to a source that's balanced but if you have. An adapter that goes balanced to se you can use them that way. Balanced usually implies 2.5 trrs termination where se implies 3.5 yes.

Jun 15, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #20,799 of 75,470
I forgot what the model number for it is and it is no longer in my aliexpress history, but it looks identical to the AWK-F32S (zen 1 cable and aesthetic). I called it the V1 because I know at the time of purchasing it was the first Seahf 32 ohm bud with that look. So I'd say it is the AWK-F32S, unless they made more than one 32 ohm bud with the zen 1 cable and white housing. Here is a link.

@slappypete beside the freq. respond on graph between Vido, NICEHCK 200 ohm and Seahf 32 ohm, how about the different in SQ from your ears?

Thanks..

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #20,800 of 75,470
Thank you. What would you suggest for $120 for a warm, detailed sound with a bit of sub bass?

And if I order a balanced Stardust/BK do I need a balanced amp to use it? I see it can come with a balanced adapter? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of being balanced because its still ending in a 3.5mm???

The current K's 500ohm v2 might fit the bill. Of course being 500ohm, it will need a decent source as well.

If you ordered a balanced BK, you can either use it with a balanced source / amp or get an extra balanced-to-single-ended adapter to use it with regular source - the upside is now BK can be used either ways, and having more option is never a bad thing.

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #20,801 of 75,470

Sell the Lyr and get the Jotunheim. You will hear a subtle improvement between balanced and unbalanced (assuming your bud and DAC is resolving enough). Schiit has a better implementation of balanced over its SE. Having a balanced earbud being used only with an unbalanced adapter and source is a waste. XLR to 2.5mm is better since both connectors are balanced.

IMO, balanced is mainly for getting extra power to drive phones that need it (like a Zen 2.0). If you have plenty of headroom when turning up the volume, going balanced isn't necessary. It's not night and day in regards to sound quality, unless your DAC has a really crappy SE implementation over its balanced end.

Jun 16, 2017 at 3:10 AM Post #20,803 of 75,470
The current K's 500ohm v2 might fit the bill. Of course being 500ohm, it will need a decent source as well.

If you ordered a balanced BK, you can either use it with a balanced source / amp or get an extra balanced-to-single-ended adapter to use it with regular source - the upside is now BK can be used either ways, and having more option is never a bad thing.

Will going from the K 500ohm v2 to something ToTL like Diomnes v2 or campfred 2 make much difference for the price? Can't decide if I should just save for the ToTL earbuds instead?

Sell the Lyr and get the Jotunheim. You will hear a subtle improvement between balanced and unbalanced (assuming your bud and DAC is resolving enough). Schiit has a better implementation of balanced over its SE. Having a balanced earbud being used only with an unbalanced adapter and source is a waste. XLR to 2.5mm is better since both connectors are balanced.

IMO, balanced is mainly for getting extra power to drive phones that need it (like a Zen 2.0). If you have plenty of headroom when turning up the volume, going balanced isn't necessary. It's not night and day in regards to sound quality, unless your DAC has a really ****ty SE implementation over its balanced end.

There's nothing like tubes I reckon... Something about the way they look and being able to roll them if your sound preference changes.

Yeah, I think I'll just stick to purchasing single ended as I have no use for the balanced earbuds if I only have a single ended Lyr :frowning2:

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:27 AM Post #20,804 of 75,470
Will going from the K 500ohm v2 to something ToTL like Diomnes v2 or campfred 2 make much difference for the price? Can't decide if I should just save for the ToTL earbuds instead?

Have not listened to Diomnes v2 or campfred 2 before, but K's 500ohm v2 is what I consider to be among ToTL earbuds.

Jun 16, 2017 at 4:28 AM Post #20,805 of 75,470
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back