Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 20, 2017 at 5:21 PM Post #19,756 of 75,861
  So I am about to sell a group of budget earbuds if anyone is interested (Monk +, T-Music V1, 2x SHE3800 (one unopened), TY Hi-Z 32ohm plus a couple cases). It would be great for someone in the USA wanting to try out a bunch of budget earbuds.

Can someone talk tell me about how the Auglamour RX1, Boarseman MX98, MusicMaker Tomahawk, Yinman 150ohm, K's 300ohm compare? I am looking for something with strong mids, pretty good highs and decent bass. The T-Music V2 is really good for me as I find it some what mid foward which means very good vocals and the bass is decent. I found the bass in the TY Hi-Z 32ohm a bit lose and the bass in the Monk + and V1 a bit tinny. Also how is the fit and comfort on those earbuds? Or is there anything else in the $20-$40 range I should consider?

As others said if you think the Monk+ and T-Music V1 lack bass the RX1 will totally disappoint.  I hear the V1 as good bass, ok mids and dull highs.  The RX1 is the total opposite.  I hear semi-bright highs, great mids, and no bass.  It is good for acoustical and being a tv/movie bud.

As I said If it was me, I would get the used Red Demuns listed for $50 by ctaxxxx who post in this thread.  However, that is only if you think if you can deal with a stiff cable.  I really love them to me they are Cygnus like but with alittle less lower mids but brighter upper mids that really bring out the details and way better bass extension.   From what I understand the poster who to me best described what he was hearing and evaluating earbuds in this thread bought 3 pairs and barely post anymore.  Sorry I am bad with names and too lazy to search.  No disrespect to him because I used to be amazed at how he described what he was hearing.  He definetly has a golden ear.  You can do a search of what he and Vapman who brought them to the threads attention say about them.  You can click on my profile and see how I list my earbuds.  I list my stuff in the order I like them.  As, I said yesterday it is my 2nd favorite bud that I own and I have a decent amount of earbuds.

Another well balanced bud I love is the Qian 25.  I think it has such good balance and awesome mids.  To me it destroys the Qian 39.  I have another 39 coming and 2 more 25s just because my 39 doesnt sound like what other people are describing.  The 2 more 25s are just because I like them so much and love using them for tv/movie since to me they sound so realistic.  For the price you should definitely try each.  Although that me going against your goal of getting rid of inexpensive earbuds.

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #19,757 of 75,861

Can only talk about RX1. If you think Monk's bass is tinny, RX1 is far worse. I admit that the problem can be in my ears as I never adapted myself to RX1 shape, but bass is almost inexistent and unpleasantly metallic.

Give HE150 a try. For me it's the most balanced earbud I have. Great bass extension, strong mids and good treble definition.

That is this guy right?  http://penonaudio.com/HE-150ohm-HiFi-Earbud

As others said if you think the Monk+ and T-Music V1 lack bass the RX1 will totally disappoint.  I hear the V1 as good bass, ok mids and dull highs.  The RX1 is the total opposite.  I hear semi-bright highs, great mids, and no bass.  It is good for acoustical and being a tv/movie bud.

As I said If it was me, I would get the used Red Demuns listed for $50 by ctaxxxx who post in this thread.  However, that is only if you think if you can deal with a stiff cable.  I really love them to me they are Cygnus like but with alittle less lower mids but brighter upper mids that really bring out the details and way better bass extension.   From what I understand the poster who to me best described what he was hearing and evaluating earbuds in this thread bought 3 pairs and barely post anymore.  Sorry I am bad with names and too lazy to search.  No disrespect to him because I used to be amazed at how he described what he was hearing.  He definetly has a golden ear.  You can do a search of what he and Vapman who brought them to the threads attention say about them.  You can click on my profile and see how I list my earbuds.  I list my stuff in the order I like them.  As, I said yesterday it is my 2nd favorite bud that I own and I have a decent amount of earbuds.

Another well balanced bud I love is the Qian 25.  I think it has such good balance and awesome mids.  To me it destroys the Qian 39.  I have another 39 coming and 2 more 25s just because my 39 doesnt sound like what other people are describing.  The 2 more 25s are just because I like them so much and love using them for tv/movie since to me they sound so realistic.  For the price you should definitely try each.  Although that me going against your goal of getting rid of inexpensive earbuds.

I didn't find the V1s highs overly dull or the bass that great. I actually measured the Hi-Z 32, Monk + and V1s and posted that somewhere in this thread. The V1s and the Monk + where not that different. You do have me interested in trying the RX1 as a bit of a contrast to the V2s instead of an upgrade. Maybe for listening to acoustic music. To be honest I am probably a month or so from buying another set since I am just about to grab some HD600s.

My main thing is I kind of want something that is either an upgrade to the V2s (not 100% sure what that would be, probably a step-up in clarity) or something that would be a good compliment (whether it was a brighter earbuds or more bassy).

Apr 20, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #19,758 of 75,861
  That is this guy right?  http://penonaudio.com/HE-150ohm-HiFi-Earbud

I did find the V1s highs overly dull but yeah. You do have me interested in trying the RX1 as a bit of a contrast to the V2s instead of an upgrade. Maybe for listening to acoustic music. To be honest I am probably a month or so from buying another set since I am just about to grab some HD600s.

My main thing is I kind of what something that is either an upgrade to the V2s (not 100% sure what that would be, probably a step-up in clarity) or something that would be a good compliment (whether it was a brighter earbuds or more bassy). 

Yah, focus on the HD600s for now and then reevaluate.  I admit since I got my HD600s and HD580s my earbud listening has gone way down.   I love my earbuds but the bass just limits my choices in a listening session.  I love slow acoustical vocal based music but I also love old school rap and pop and alot of earbuds just cant handle the bass of those.  Sometimes I feel like I am hurting my earbuds if I try to listen to a rap song.  I like alittle variety in my listening sessions and the HDs can handle the vocal stuff and the rap/bassy stuff in the same sitting.  Plus the bass makes movies and action shows more exciting too. 

I picked up my HD580s on ebay after my HD600s because I read how similiar they sound and they are kind of a landmark headphone in history.  Basically, a special edition of the HD580 became the HD600.  The drivers used were the same they just changed the material of the frame and gave them more open and metal grilles.  I also consider it a cheap backup if my HD600s break.  I honestly cannot tell the difference when I go back and forth.  Maybe a tiny bit more sparkle in the HD600s.  Sometimes on ebay the HD580s go silly cheap like $100.  All the parts on the HD600 and HD580 are interchangable too.  At worst you are getting 2 backup drivers for the cost it would be from Sennhesier.

Apr 20, 2017 at 8:38 PM Post #19,759 of 75,861
  Yah, focus on the HD600s for now and then reevaluate.  I admit since I got my HD600s and HD580s my earbud listening has gone way down.   I love my earbuds but the bass just limits my choices in a listening session.  I love slow acoustical vocal based music but I also love old school rap and pop and alot of earbuds just cant handle the bass of those.  Sometimes I feel like I am hurting my earbuds if I try to listen to a rap song.  I like alittle variety in my listening sessions and the HDs can handle the vocal stuff and the rap/bassy stuff in the same sitting.  Plus the bass makes movies and action shows more exciting too. 

I don't really listen to open back full size headphones when I would be listening to earbuds. Basically open headphones are for at home listening. Earbuds are for at work listening and laying in bed when my wife is sleeping. IEMs are for exercise and airplanes (and other noisy environments when I want isolation).

I could probably switch closed back headphones for earbuds but they either isolate too much for work. I like being able to hear if a co-worker is trying to get my attention so they either isolation too much or leak to much for an office. Earbuds work perfectly for work so really the only time closed backs would make sense is for laying in bed but I haven't found any I like well enough/ I can't justify the expense for such a limited use. 

TLDR: I am still going to be looking for earbuds even after I buy HD600s.

Also earbuds seem to be one of the last real bargins left in the head-fi space.

Apr 20, 2017 at 9:33 PM Post #19,760 of 75,861
I usually prefer the comfort of earbuds but lately the talk on Beyer DT1350 makes me wonder if the tesla tech is really that good, does anyone have them to compare to your fav earbuds? Looks like the clamping force is very bad, please let me know about your opinion.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #19,761 of 75,861
Does anyone have a link to buy those silicone rings that go around an earbud as an alternative to or to go under the foams?

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #19,762 of 75,861
Does anyone have a link to buy those silicone rings that go around an earbud as an alternative to or to go under the foams?
search rubber rings on AE,
Rubber ring for earbuds 15mm 16mm MX980 MX985 OMX985 MX880
http://s.aliexpress.com/uEnEfu26
(from AliExpress Android)
Venture Electronics VE MONK Plus earbuds Monk earphone (Still 5USD )
http://s.aliexpress.com/eEVRfU7z

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #19,763 of 75,861
There is a possibility that major Audio Website can carry the inexpensive Vido: 原道耳机 earbud and ship it World Wide for under $7USD (and maybe at $4USD for certain options).

I started a poll over at Earbuds Anonymous to see if there is enough interest for that site to stock them.

You can vote multiple times for the various options.  Please answer as honestly as you can, it will help get the best idea if we can move forward.

**Also, it must be noted that if the site did end up selling them, that they would be making almost no profit at all, it is more to fill the need for Earbud Lovers.**

--

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #19,765 of 75,861
I'm a bit late in responding, but thanks to @chinmie, @flamesofarctica, @golov17, @Saoshyant, and @luedriver for your all-rounder earbud help! And special shoutouts to @CharlesRievone for testing with my music :)

At this point it's a toss-up between the DIY EMX500 and the TP16. I'm convinced that the TP16 can handle my ambient, electronic, & rock music well without an amp, but the EMX500 looks particularly enticing with bass extension and clear highs. 

Is there anything that the MusicMaker TP16 does better than the EMX500? Or should I go with the latter, or just get them both? (I mean... the EMX500 + TP16 combined are cheaper than $40 Tomahawk earbuds. So that's a possibility!) Any thoughts?

Apr 21, 2017 at 12:26 AM Post #19,770 of 75,861
search rubber rings on AE,
Rubber ring for earbuds 15mm 16mm MX980 MX985 OMX985 MX880
http://s.aliexpress.com/uEnEfu26
Venture Electronics VE MONK Plus earbuds Monk earphone (Still 5USD )
http://s.aliexpress.com/eEVRfU7z

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back