Earbuds Round-Up
Feb 24, 2017 at 6:33 PM Post #18,183 of 75,538
I've killed 3 pairs so far. This time the diaphragm separated, stayed in the cover and the copper wire snapped

Even if the voice coil separated, if you can put it back without crunching it, it should be salvagable. 

The biggest thing i've learned about working on that style earbuds.... have tons of backups around. I've come to learn any amount of a "click" or "crunch" sound on reassembly means it's time to start over with that driver/

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #18,184 of 75,538
So thought I'd listen to the Qian 39 for a bit before bed, they arrived today so haven't had chance to burn them in. Was not expecting this, the lows aren't just there, they're literally pounding my ears. Despite seeing all the comments I wasn't expecting them to be so warm but it's nice to hear something totally different for a change. Will be interesting to compare the E808 as they arrived today too.

Feb 24, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #18,186 of 75,538
I need a earbud with good bass and soundstage. I'm a basshead. My budget is under $300. And it can pair with my sony wm1a orwalnut v2 without an amp. I prefer it can swap a cable with mmcx, because i have a extra silver cable from my vegas. If not its fine. Any recommendations ? I just bought a zen 2 but i don't like the sq.

I think sony 808s are considered the current basshead earbud champs?

I haven't experienced the outer limits of earbud bass in the few 'buds I've used & not tried EQing them but - Shozy Stardust with full foams maybe? Easy to drive. Elvated bass on similar volume of zen2, but bass starts deeper and it's more flat into the mids, with gentle treble roll but well balanced (though there is a peak for midrange/vocal details that others seem to like but to me is bit grainy and makes the back of my brain itch).

Build quality doesn't really live up to price, but they sound quite good.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #18,187 of 75,538
I've killed 3 pairs so far. This time the diaphragm separated, stayed in the cover and the copper wire snapped

You can buy spare front covers from taobao. If the earbud is too tightly glued on, use a cutter plier & cut around the sides of the front covers where the glue is. Then it will be easier to pry open. After that, I try to "push it out" by feeding the cable from the rear of the earbud. And also, using a toothpick against the driver solder-board, to gently pull it out.

Btw, glad to see you back, Mr. Blu-tac!
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #18,188 of 75,538
  Even if the voice coil separated, if you can put it back without crunching it, it should be salvagable. 

The biggest thing i've learned about working on that style earbuds.... have tons of backups around. I've come to learn any amount of a "click" or "crunch" sound on reassembly means it's time to start over with that driver/

Read it several times, and I still can't figure out what do you mean by "crunching" the driver?
VC separation? Yes. Crunching? No idea what's that?

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #18,189 of 75,538
I think sony 808s are considered the current basshead earbud champs?

Nope, they don't even belong in a basshead earbud lineup honestly, at least in stock form. All the most basshead champs are in my house, modded by me and the best of all has been heard by nobody else to date. I don't know anyone else who would want to hear it, the sound pressure level of the bass alone could make non bassheads nauseous, I'm serious. It's highly modified, uses a unique driver and has IEM levels of impact and extension. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

#2 best basshead earbud is a recabled and lightly modded Qian39.
#3 is the Asura 2.0.
#4 is probably where a modded Sony 808+ falls in.

Those answers all assume you use a basshead's eq and of course amp on high gain.

With all respect and more to @Danneq - the CampFred does not like to be listened to at loud volumes, so I would definitely not amp it and EQ it like this. So, i can't call it a basshead bud, if you can't even listen at high volumes un-amped.

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #18,190 of 75,538

Read it several times, and I still can't figure out what do you mean by "crunching" the driver?
VC separation? Yes. Crunching? No idea what's that?

VC stays connected, but extra pressure from both the front and back shells pushes on the VC, causing it to break although it is still attached. Then the driver shorts out and dies if you run power thru it...

The only ways i have done this are badly reassembling an earbud during DIY, stepping on them or something like that...

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #18,191 of 75,538
  The only ways i have done this are badly reassembling an earbud during DIY, stepping on them or something like that...

Too much bass energy into your head turns you into a klutz!
biggrin.gif

QED

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #18,192 of 75,538

Starting to feel that I was very lucky to choose ES10 for my first DIY attempt 
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #18,193 of 75,538
With all respect and more to @Danneq
 - the CampFred does not like to be listened to at loud volumes, so I would definitely not amp it and EQ it like this. So, i can't call it a basshead bud, if you can't even listen at high volumes un-amped.

CampFred is fine at loud volumes. But not ear splitting volumes. Of course some people do like to listen at such volumes. I have yet to hear a low impedance earbud with as deep and solid sub bass as CampFred. It doesn't even need EQ to give you deep sub bass (although I usually EQ sub bass up by 2-3 dB).

So if you want bass and nothing else, perhaps go with something else then CampFred. For a pair of earbuds with great dynamics and sub bass and pretty good soundstage and instrument layering, I consider CampFred to be among the best when it comes to low impedance earbuds.

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #18,194 of 75,538
CampFred is fine at loud volumes. But not ear splitting volumes. Of course some people do like to listen at such volumes. I have yet to hear a low impedance earbud with as deep and solid sub bass as CampFred. It doesn't even need EQ to give you deep sub bass (although I usually EQ sub bass up by 2-3 dB).

So if you want bass and nothing else, perhaps go with something else then CampFred. For a pair of earbuds with great dynamics and sub bass and pretty good soundstage and instrument layering, I consider CampFred to be among the best when it comes to low impedance earbuds.

One day I oughta send around my two best bass cannon buds and let you hear em. The midrange and treble is still intact. One's 32 ohms, the other 12 ohms 
wink.gif

Feb 24, 2017 at 8:32 PM Post #18,195 of 75,538
You can buy spare front covers from taobao. If the earbud is too tightly glued on, use a cutter plier & cut around the sides of the front covers where the glue is. Then it will be easier to pry open. After that, I try to "push it out" by feeding the cable from the rear of the earbud. And also, using a toothpick against the driver solder-board, to gently pull it out.

Btw, glad to see you back, Mr. Blu-tac!
wink.gif

Funny you mention blu-tac, that's the reason I popped them open. I was going to add some, but unfortunately I destroyed the driver.

Oh well they won't break the bank. Glad it happend on the 3800 and not a more expensive bud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back