Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Dec 10, 2012 at 2:17 AM Post #961 of 1,242
Hey,

I was wondering if you could compare the Westone 3 and the TDK BA-200. I can get the Westone 3 for around $80 more than the BA-200, I was just wondering the differences between the two and if the Westone 3 would be worth the extra cash.

Dec 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #962 of 1,242
Quote:
Hey,
I was wondering if you could compare the Westone 3 and the TDK BA-200. I can get the Westone 3 for around $80 more than the BA-200, I was just wondering the differences between the two and if the Westone 3 would be worth the extra cash.

I don't own W3. I can tell you what I remember about it, but can't compare it to another IEM. IIRC, W3 is harsh on the upper vocal and boomy on bass, and offers less control the the UM2. In fact, I'll go as far as calling W3 the only disappointment I have heard from Westone's line-up, which include UM2, UM3X, W2 and W4.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #963 of 1,242
Quote:
SPL has nothing to do with what driver type the IEM has, it has to do with what volume you are listening to. My suggestion is to low your volume first. However, fatigue can be caused by a particular frequency range, mainly either brightness or heavy bass. SE215 isn't know to have excessive of either, but fatigue varies between individual so you have to determine the source for yourself.  
Physical soreness on the other hand has more to do with fit rather than sound, and switching to a softer eartips is the way to fix it.

Thanks!  I'm trying some different tips.  Already at lowest volume so it's probably the fit.  The SE215's do sound amazing!

JJ

Dec 14, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #965 of 1,242
Quote:
Are the TDK IE800s designed to be worn over-ear or straight down?

Straight down, but there is nothing to stop you from wearing it over the ear.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #966 of 1,242
ClieOS, I'm going to get some IEMs for Christmas under USD 200. I'm looking for something with balanced to warm sound and a good soundstage that doesn't need amping, can be worn straight down and is fairly rugged. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, mostly acoustic, including jazz (acoustic and electric) as well as classical and some electronic.

Right now I'm thinking the TDK IE800 is the best bet, but I'm wondering if you have any other suggestions.

Dec 15, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #967 of 1,242
Quote:
ClieOS, I'm going to get some IEMs for Christmas under USD 200. I'm looking for something with balanced to warm sound and a good soundstage that doesn't need amping, can be worn straight down and is fairly rugged. I listen to mostly acoustic music, mostly jazz (acoustic and electric) as well as classical and some electronic music.

Right now I'm thinking the TDK IE800 is the best bet, but I'm wondering if you have any other suggestions.

I have similar wishes for my next IEM. TDK "seems" to fit our wish if ClieOS's short review is accurate

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #970 of 1,242
Quote:
ClieOS, I'm going to get some IEMs for Christmas under USD 200. I'm looking for something with balanced to warm sound and a good soundstage that doesn't need amping, can be worn straight down and is fairly rugged. I listen to a lot of different kinds of music, mostly acoustic, including jazz (acoustic and electric) as well as classical and some electronic.

IE800 will be somewhat of a mid centric sound - not that its mid is very forwarded, but the strength of its presentation is in its mid. A bit like RE262 in this regard, but better control  and clarity over treble and bass. One alternative I can think of is the VSONIC GR01, which is also warm, but more even out and versatile as far as sound signature goes when compared to IE800. They are more or less the same top level IEM so picking one over the other is more about what kind of sound you wish to go for.

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #971 of 1,242
Quote:

IE800 will be somewhat of a mid centric sound - not that its mid is very forwarded, but the strength of its presentation is in its mid. A bit like RE262 in this regard, but better control  and clarity over treble and bass. One alternative I can think of is the VSONIC GR01, which is also warm, but more even out and versatile as far as sound signature goes when compared to IE800. They are more or less the same top level IEM so picking one over the other is more about what kind of sound you wish to go for.

Thanks for quick response. 

The GR01's sound promising except for that they've gotten some pretty bad reviews on Amazon for build quality. And they've only been out for less than a year.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #972 of 1,242
Quote:

Thanks for quick response. 

The GR01's sound promising except for that they've gotten some pretty bad reviews on Amazon for build quality. And they've only been out for less than a year.

I don't think you should take much stock in a lot of the Amazon reviews, as long as you treat them like like a $200 IEM and not a $20 one you should be fine.  People that wrap the IEM's around their DAP'sand jam them in their pocket or take them out of their ears by pulling on the cable then yes they might brake on you but if you treat them like you should I don't see them falling apart anytime soon.  I thought the build quality was pretty good when I used a friends pair.

Dec 15, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #973 of 1,242
The only thing I can say about the build quality of GR01 is - never take the nozzle caps out, as filter and metal mesh inside will fall out and you might lose them (I'll imagine many can't resist the temptation). Other wise their build quality is pretty solid, as with all of VONIC products. However, GR01 is also the most delicate of all VSONIC so a degree of care should be observed - if you have the tendency of not particularly careful, I really won't recommend it to you, or spending too much on top end IEM in that matter. Contrast to common belief by the public, a $500 IEM doesn't last 5 times better than a $100 IEM or 10 times better than a $50 IEM - it is often the opposite where $50 IEM is designed to take more punishment than a precision $500 instrument.

Dec 16, 2012 at 1:37 PM Post #974 of 1,242
Hey,

How would you compare the UE 700 to IEM's like the Sony MH1, the TDK BA-200, or possibly the Sony XBA-3? Would they be similar or better sounding than a pair of Yamaha EPH-100's? That's my only frame of reference.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back