Concise Multi-IEM Comparison (FINAL UPDATE March. 1st, 2013)
Jan 24, 2012 at 5:20 AM Post #436 of 1,242
I don't know the answer. I never listen to the newer VB so I am not sure if you are getting a better or worst deal by selling the VB3. All I can say is E30 is great for its price.

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM Post #437 of 1,242
HiSound Audio Popo and (Golden) Crystal added.

Crystal.jpg

Analytical 5.    HiSound (Golden) Crystal (link)
The sound signature, in short, can be described as the dynamic version of the Brainwavz B2. It is bright and analytical with a slightly aggressive presentation. Bass, though no abundance by any mean, has really good body and impact that are not often found in analytical IEM.  Mid is placed slightly away from the listener but not enough to really call recessed. Thought it lacks a sense of thickness, the overall detail of vocal is still very clean and decent. Treble is crisp, sparkly, well extended and full of micro detail. It can be slightly harsh on bright passage, but never quite as the more aggressive B2.  As a dynamic transducer based IEM, Crystal offers something different from B2. That is, it is more specious, textured and with a better bass reproduction while B2 offers better speed, resolution and fine sparkle. Those who find B2 to lack a bit of the lower end or just a bit too much on the higher end will likely find Crystal to be the perfect substitute as technically, the two are very much comparable with just a small touch of different in presentation.
Pro: Good cable.
Con: Odd naming between batches. Lack of chin slider.

Popo.jpg

Warm + Sweet 8.    HiSound Audio Popo (link)
It is hard to define how ‘woody’ sounds like by words, but there is always a sense of lushness caused by reverberation of the wooden IEM housing that are pleasing to the ears, though it might not be the most accurate sounding. Like many woody IEM, Battleflag (Popo) carries the lushness of the wood into its warm and sweet sound signature. While it is quantitatively above average, bass can often be boomy but shallow in depth. However, it is not boomy enough to be offensive and in fact, quite enjoyable for casual listening. Though it is classified as being sweet sounding, the mid isn’t particularly forward. It has enough warm and thickness to keep pace with bass and give it some sweetness, but back away enough to reserve a sense of space between the signer and the listener. Treble has good extension but missing some of the top end sparkle – not something very noticeable unless you are looking for it. It is decently crisp but overall smooth and tends to trail behind the mid and bass. Soundstage is pretty good, airy, specious but more immersive than it is transparent. Technically, Battleflag is not strong in any particular area. But as a whole, the sum is larger than its parts. It is rich, it is lush, and most importantly, it is fun and relaxing to listen to.
Pro: Price. It sounds much better than its name.
Con: Name. Lack of chin slider. Very mild driver flex.

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #438 of 1,242
nice addition!
never thought the Battleflag was the PoPo (the names are confusing indeed). i had those and i agree with your description. but i didnt experienced that driver flex
though mine were an early batch, and had lot of build issues...

Feb 2, 2012 at 4:46 AM Post #439 of 1,242
Wow, surprising  how high you scored the Popos with the few other reviews I've seen so underwhelming. How would you compare these to the Brainwavz M2 or the Fischer Eternas?

I'm looking for a first timer IEM (had some Etymotics years ago but did not enjoy them at all and sold them)  to enjoy mostly indie rock, vocal heavy music. Thanks for all the great work!

Feb 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #440 of 1,242
clieos 

do you also experience a lot of pressure with the Crystal? (silicone tips)

and
the Miu-Audio MR2 Pro, are they exactly the same housing as the pl50? or is the nozzle less angled? 
and will female jap vocals sound reccesed?
tanks

Feb 3, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #442 of 1,242
How would you compare these to the Brainwavz M2 or the Fischer Eternas?

I prefer it over M2. As for Eterna, it is a different story. There are some music that Eterna just sound so great with, but it has its technical flaw as well (i.e. strong coloration, etc). As a universal choice, I'll say Popo makes a safer bet.

clieos 

do you also experience a lot of pressure with the Crystal? (silicone tips)

and
the Miu-Audio MR2 Pro, are they exactly the same housing as the pl50? or is the nozzle less angled? 
and will female jap vocals sound reccesed?
tanks

No, I didn't feel a lot of pressure with Crystal. It is about average.

No.MR2 Pro doesn't have the same housing as PL50. It has very similar housing to FA's Omega. The nozzle is more angled than PL50.

ClieOS, which of two do have technical capacity higher: Silver Bullet or SE215?

I'll say SE215, but they are very close in performance with different presentation. This is why I've given them the same score in SQ.

Feb 8, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #444 of 1,242
just checked your blog, and saw the UE700 in the list. any early impressions? 

Well, it is darker than most dual driver I have (at least when compared to most TWFK based dual driver like the B2). Kind of Shure like actually. But for the price I paid (around $135), I can't say I have any complaint. It is however quite underwhelming as the 2nd in line after TF10. I thought it should have been better sounding.

Feb 9, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #446 of 1,242
oh well.... i hope you get a chance to try the new sony XBA-2. doesnt seem too overpriced for a Dual BA

I might have a chance to review some of the XBA models, but I'll have to confirm it with the local Sony PR first. They are actually launching all the XBA locally tomorrow on a press event but I won't be able to make it there.

Feb 10, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #447 of 1,242
EXS X20 added.

X20.jpg

Analytical 8.    EXS X20 (link)
The overall sound signature, in short, is the tamed down version of B2 / DBA-02 - lean, clean, neutral and bright sounding – but different from B2 (and DBA-02), X20 is less aggressive on treble presentation, has less body on the bass end and a smaller soundstage. Bass has decent speed, but rather light in quantity, especially on body and depth. Mid is slightly forwarded on the whole presentation, but only just. It is a tad sweeter compared to the more neutral B2. Treble extends to the top, well detailed and with a very good amount of sparkle. It is bright for sure, but not quite nearly as aggressive as B2. Soundstage is only average, nothing to write home about. Respond really well with bass EQ or bass boost amp like digiZoid ZO.
Pro: Smoother sounding then B2 with the same sound signature. Build quality.
Con: Availability

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:56 AM Post #448 of 1,242
Hey ClieOS I've been looking all over the net for the j-phonic site for the j-phonic K2 SP. A few months ago it was an easy find but now it doesn't seem to appear in any of my searches did the company go out of business or something?

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #449 of 1,242

Quote:
Hey ClieOS I've been looking all over the net for the j-phonic site for the j-phonic K2 SP. A few months ago it was an easy find but now it doesn't seem to appear in any of my searches did the company go out of business or something?

No, both Sensaphonic Japan (the j-phonic main distributor) and j-phonic are still in business. But due to the poor international sale (partially because of the high Japanese Yen exchange rate and weak international economy) they have decided to stop selling internationally and instead focus only on Japan's mainland market from 2012 onward. That's why you can't find them anymore as they have shutdown the international site.

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:47 AM Post #450 of 1,242

Quote:
No, both Sensaphonic Japan (the j-phonic main distributor) and j-phonic are still in business. But due to the poor international sale (partially because of the high Japanese Yen exchange rate and weak international economy) they have decided to stop selling internationally and instead focus only on Japan's mainland market from 2012 onward. That's why you can't find them anymore as they have shutdown the international site.

Crap that's bad news for me considering I live in Canada. Is there any kind of eBay sellers or other proxy small businesses who can get them for international customers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back