Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 11, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #1,336 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I ordered my wa6 over a year ago, I got no order conformation. I emailed Jack a few days later asking him how long I would have to wait for my order. He promptly responded telling me it would take 6 weeks. He was right on the money with his estimate...

Whenever I email Jack about a question he usually responds within 24 hours. Yesterday I emailed him a question about using a 4-pin adapter on the WA6 / WA22 and he responded the same day. By the way, this was the email:

Q: With an adapter may I use these 4-pin rectifiers in place of the 5AR4 the WA6 and WA22?

274A
5Z3.

A: Yes, they will work. We used to have the adapters but I will have to find them. --Jack

He's always been very responsive and very helpful.
smile.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:08 PM Post #1,337 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG POPPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just sent payment for a Woo 3+ severely modified. OK from the top I ordered the Teflon tube sockets upgrade, Blackgates upgrade, FI-03 Rhodium FURUTECH , and the WBT panel mount RCA's, Have many audio grade fuses and a few power cables.

Now what tubes to order? Any Suggestions?

Oh yes:
5998 Tungsol 1963 plus two Philips ECC88 Holland "A" frame getter 1975 is my suggestion.

Maybe you would like to read my thread entitled "Woo Audio 3+ experience" (which I will update soon after a long time being absent) ? In this thread I have discussed several tube combinations for the WA3+. The one mentioned above is most likely to be the winner of all.

Nov 11, 2009 at 6:33 PM Post #1,338 of 42,298
In preparation of the arrival of my WA6 which should be coming in a couple weeks I purchased a Volex power cable. I got a little bit of a longer one (9 foot) in order to reach directly to the wall outlet. The wall outlet only has 2 receptacles; one is used for a cheap power strip the table lamp, alarm clock, etc, so I have the other receptacle for the WA6. However I am planning to get a Squeezebox and a DacMagic to use with the WA6. So my question is this – should I plug the Squeezebox and the DAC into the cheap power strip and the WA6 directly into the wall, or should I get some kind of power conditioner? (If so what model is recommended?) If I get a power conditioner what components will benefit most from it – the WA6 and the DacMagic?

Nov 12, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #1,339 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by bialystok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The MAP is 429 but according the sales rep I spoke to at an audiophile shop north of philadelphia they markup the audio equipment by as much as 60% especially the higher end stuff. He basically just offered it to me for 350 - but I'm positive if you call one of the places on google shopping they'd give you that price.

Thanks for the tip, I did a google shopping search and got 4 results. I randomly tried the 2nd one and they said no way $429 is the price. Then I tried the 4th one and they said $399 so I asked them for $350 - they countered with $375 shipped - so I went for it!! I am looking forward to recieving it probably next week.

Nov 12, 2009 at 8:35 PM Post #1,340 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by MooBin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes:
5998 Tungsol 1963 plus two Philips ECC88 Holland "A" frame getter 1975 is my suggestion.

Maybe you would like to read my thread entitled "Woo Audio 3+ experience" (which I will update soon after a long time being absent) ? In this thread I have discussed several tube combinations for the WA3+. The one mentioned above is most likely to be the winner of all.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did find some Amperex Bugle Boy 6dj8's 70 bucks matched and shipped. Will order those next week. How much are those 5998 Tungsol's? And where can you find them?

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:48 PM Post #1,341 of 42,298
I'm getting a pair of Sennheiser HD650 next week and some weeks after that I want to buy a fitting amp for them.... Do you think Woo Audio 6 will be a good choice for my Sennheisers ?? I don't know much about the Woo Audio, but the amp should not be too bright and should be good for the music like: Paramore, Kings Of Leon, Green Day, Linkin Park, Bloc Party etc....

It's maybe hard to answer that question, but atleast tell me if it's good with the Senn's and if it is bright or more warmer sounding.... (I didn't like the brightness my Grado RS2 gave me...)

If someone of you own both the WA6 and the Sennheiser HD650.... Please listen to the bands I mentioned before and tell me if you think it's a good combo.....

Nov 14, 2009 at 11:39 AM Post #1,342 of 42,298
The HD600 is perfect with my WA6 (sophia princess rectifier, pseudo dual power supply). I have never really liked the HD650 which I think is too dark and bassy. Food for thought.

Nov 14, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #1,343 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm getting a pair of Sennheiser HD650 next week and some weeks after that I want to buy a fitting amp for them.... Do you think Woo Audio 6 will be a good choice for my Sennheisers ?? ... ...

Excellent combination, been using hd650/WA6 combo well over a year and I love it as much or more than the day I bought it. Woo Audio makes very clean well built amps, excellent build quality, great sound quality, .... Yes it's warm, with excellent mids and doesn't really neglect the highs.

Not a great review but honest, check the link below my sig, my thoughts a year ago, I haven't gone back to update or change the writing but I'm still extreemly happy with my combo
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2009 at 2:29 PM Post #1,344 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by Clayton SF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, WilCox, you own a very nice piece of Woo circuitry. I ordered a WA22 with teflon sockets the first week of October. It should be in my clutches in a few weeks (I hope). What was your past bad experience with those sockets?

It was a long time ago. We made X-ray fluorescence spectroscopy systems with 50kV to the X-ray tube. Had repeated failures with the teflon HV connector due to teflon "cold-flow".

I'm sure Jack's sockets are just fine -- technology marches forward.
normal_smile .gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 3:26 PM Post #1,345 of 42,298
Quote:

After 3 weeks with the WA6 I've begun to notice a slight low-level hum coming from inside that box behind the 5AR4 socket. It's noticeable when I take my headphones off and am snooping around those beautiful glowing tubes. I can hear it from about a foot away from the unit. Definitely not a distraction but none of my other tube equipment emits that kind of hum. Just curious. That humming box feels normal to the touch (warm) and the hum only goes away when I turn it off hours later (never over 8 hours, of course).
wink_face.gif

Two weeks ago I received the Brimar 5Z4G rectifier I had ordered from England. I popped that sucker into my WA6 and guess what! NO HUM! To double-check this I switched back to the SED 5U3C stock rectifier and there was that HUM again. The rectifier that produced the loudest hum from both the transformer and headphones was the 5AR4 from China. Obviously I'm sticking with the Brimar 5Z4G for now. I bought it used, by the way, and I am extremely pleased.
smile.gif

Nov 15, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #1,346 of 42,298
I has the same issue with a NOS 5U4G. Humming like crazy. Tried another and the hum disappeared.

Simon

Nov 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #1,347 of 42,298
New member here. My silver Woo 2 arrived today and so far all is most excellent.

Nov 16, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #1,348 of 42,298
Quote:

Whenever I email Jack about a question he usually responds within 24 hours. Yesterday I emailed him a question about using a 4-pin adapter on the WA6 / WA22 and he responded the same day. By the way, this was the email:

Q: With an adapter may I use these 4-pin rectifiers in place of the 5AR4 the WA6 and WA22?

274A
5Z3.

A: Yes, they will work. We used to have the adapters but I will have to find them. --Jack

He's always been very responsive and very helpful.
smile.gif

I know a guy name Glenn make those adapters, and sell them on ebay. Good quality. I have 7 of different adapters form him with 0 problem.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In preparation of the arrival of my WA6 which should be coming in a couple weeks I purchased a Volex power cable. I got a little bit of a longer one (9 foot) in order to reach directly to the wall outlet. The wall outlet only has 2 receptacles; one is used for a cheap power strip the table lamp, alarm clock, etc, so I have the other receptacle for the WA6. However I am planning to get a Squeezebox and a DacMagic to use with the WA6. So my question is this – should I plug the Squeezebox and the DAC into the cheap power strip and the WA6 directly into the wall, or should I get some kind of power conditioner? (If so what model is recommended?) If I get a power conditioner what components will benefit most from it – the WA6 and the DacMagic?

My WA22 sound better without power conditioner. I plug them in to wall that sound better (about 5% or more better IMHO), more clear, clean sounding.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sclamb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I has the same issue with a NOS 5U4G. Humming like crazy. Tried another and the hum disappeared.

Simon

I bought NOS 5U4G (made in England), no hum, very clean from hour 1.

Nov 17, 2009 at 1:46 PM Post #1,349 of 42,298
Hello!Everyone
Can I ask a question?
I am using WA2 Maxed
Right now! Where can I find excellent G.E.C 6AS7G?
Even though I can find some Tungsol 5998 in Ebay, I want to try G.E.C first.....
I tried RCA 6AS7 black and grey plate
They are too soft.......
ph34r.gif

Nov 17, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #1,350 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by herroyuihk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello!Everyone
Can I ask a question?
I am using WA2 Maxed
Right now! Where can I find excellent G.E.C 6AS7G?
Even though I can find some Tungsol 5998 in Ebay, I want to try G.E.C first.....
I tried RCA 6AS7 black and grey plate
They are too soft.......
ph34r.gif

Good luck on GEC. They show up on ebay once every half year or so. I just got my 2 pair for $327.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back