Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #42,286 of 42,299
Does Woo make a cage for the WA22? Burned the living crap out of my forearm on a tube.

Mar 19, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #42,288 of 42,299
Anybody here have thoughts on upgrading output caps on WA2? I love my Mundorf coupling caps (though they made more difference in other amps, less noticeable in WA2), and I was thinking of trying their Tubecaps for the output… any input would be welcome!

Does Woo make a cage for the WA22? Burned the living crap out of my forearm on a tube.

And I have no idea about a cage for the amp, but sorry to hear about the burn! I guess in a way it shows that you’re hard core and willing to suffer for amazing sound! But still, bummer that it happened…

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:13 AM Post #42,289 of 42,299
Anybody here have thoughts on upgrading output caps on WA2? I love my Mundorf coupling caps (though they made more difference in other amps, less noticeable in WA2), and I was thinking of trying their Tubecaps for the output… any input would be welcome!

Not sure about the WA2. Here is a picture of work that 2359glenn | studio did for me years ago. I really liked the results.

GlenMods.jpg

Attachments

• GlenMods.jpg
    GlenMods.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:46 AM Post #42,290 of 42,299
Not sure about the WA2. Here is a picture of work that 2359glenn | studio did for me years ago. I really liked the results.

GlenMods.jpg
Nice! Over on the orgy of capacitors thread someone also recommended those VCaps. I have Mundorfs in that position on my WA2 and WA22, but there is not really an analogous capacitor to the one I’m thinking of replacing - the WA22’s output is transformer coupled, but the WA2 is capacitor coupled, and it’s that capacitor that couples the output that I’m wondering if I would benefit from replacing. Still, very spiffy WA22 there, I’m sure you’re very happy with it!!

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #42,291 of 42,299
Nice! Over on the orgy of capacitors thread someone also recommended those VCaps. I have Mundorfs in that position on my WA2 and WA22, but there is not really an analogous capacitor to the one I’m thinking of replacing - the WA22’s output is transformer coupled, but the WA2 is capacitor coupled, and it’s that capacitor that couples the output that I’m wondering if I would benefit from replacing. Still, very spiffy WA22 there, I’m sure you’re very happy with it!!
Do you do your own work, or is there a shop you use?

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #42,292 of 42,299
Do you do your own work, or is there a shop you use?
I have done my own work so far… I haven’t attempted anything too bold, just some soldering in areas that are fairly easy to get to. I think if it were more of a full overhaul or smaller pieces in tighter spots I would be inclined to take it to a shop. I got cards from a couple around Denver at a vintage electronics show here last year, but haven’t had occasion to use them yet…

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #42,293 of 42,299
You could always get your upgraded capacitors and alligator clip them into the circuit. That would only require you to remove one leg from the stock capacitors. You could then do an A/B test to see if you can hear any difference. Just a random thought, as I’ve done this in guitar amplifiers

Mar 20, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #42,294 of 42,299
You could always get your upgraded capacitors and alligator clip them into the circuit. That would only require you to remove one leg from the stock capacitors. You could then do an A/B test to see if you can hear any difference. Just a random thought, as I’ve done this in guitar amplifiers
That’s a really good idea! I have never heard of that method before, but it totally makes sense, especially if we can get something like a gold plated copper clip

Mar 29, 2024 at 3:09 AM Post #42,299 of 42,299

Users who are viewing this thread

Back