Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 13, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #42,256 of 42,298
Don't mean to argue with you. But the for sale amp is a Woo WA5 V2 with a custom RCA only input option. Here is a pic of a V1 (left) with a V2 (Right) next to each other. The V2 has the gain options and XLR headphone output plus the WA5 has all cap upgrades already. The V1 is only 6.3 mm out with no gain options. The reason I'm say it would be that much is the custom setup. Caps may figure into this too.

****PS It looks like I did say cap upgrade. My bad. I meant custom input option. The standard WA5 V2 already comes with all cap upgrades.

1707853034749.png
I don’t think it matters much, but just for the record: I was looking at the correct classified and it is indeed a base gen 1 WA5. The picture you sent is a gen 2, but that’s not the picture from the classified, which is why I got confused. Here is a close up. The knobs you see there are to select inputs/outputs, not the level, gain and impedance that the gen 2 WA5 and WA5-LE have. Seller confirmed btw. The port on the left was for the AKG K 1000 headphone in particular. Still a great deal!

1707866334311.png

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #42,257 of 42,298
Thanks for confirming I am not completely senile. I was going to chime in but it has been a lot of years since I sold my Gen 1 WA5(not LE) and was unsure. Shortly after I bought it used I asked Woo about the XLR output and was told never use that output except for an AKG 1000 or an HE6.

Feb 13, 2024 at 7:56 PM Post #42,258 of 42,298
Thanks for confirming I am not completely senile. I was going to chime in but it has been a lot of years since I sold my Gen 1 WA5(not LE) and was unsure. Shortly after I bought it used I asked Woo about the XLR output and was told never use that output except for an AKG 1000 or an HE6.
Correct. The LE gen 1 did not have that output. It was very hot and was only available on the WA5, not the LE. I have a gen1 LE currently but I had talked with Jack extensively during the launch of the WA5 and was considering it, but never bought it. I preferred the LE for different reasons that are irrelevant here.

The gen 2 has the XLR output but you can use any headphones with it. Now we have the switches to adjust for level, gain and impedance. The gen 2 also has an additional two small holes in the front for the flip switches.

I just looked at the pic the other member here sent too quickly on my phone and wanted to correct that I said the classified was for a gen 2. It is not; it’s a gen 1 WA5.

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #42,259 of 42,298
Since the gen 1/2 of the WA5 were brought up, I'm curious: Other than the level/gain/impedance adjustments and the XLR in/outs, does anyone know of any other differences between gen 1 and 2 of the WA5 or LE? I personally have a gen 1 WA5-LE and have considered selling it for a gen 2, but never really felt the need to, because I like it so much. I have never listened to a gen 2, though. Has anyone had both by any chance?

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #42,260 of 42,298
Looks like what he has left in my price range are 7308 Mullard-made and 6922 Amperex USA made. That's about it for the 6922 form factor unless you go much pricier.
My vote based on your description of what you like sonically: The 7308s. Not only are Mullards more likely to hew toward a warmer midrange, but 7308s are military spec with more durability, typically with lower noise and possibly also longer life.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:38 PM Post #42,261 of 42,298
My vote based on your description of what you like sonically: The 7308s. Not only are Mullards more likely to hew toward a warmer midrange, but 7308s are military spec with more durability, typically with lower noise and possibly also longer life.
Awesome! I placed an order for a pair of the Mullards today, and if I love them, maybe I’ll grab a backup pair, or maybe a different pair to roll in. It looks like CCa is one of the best of the best tubes for these as well. I am curious about whether I should consider a pair of these as well - could always sell them on later if I don’t use them much / end up grabbing WA5-LE down the line. Any opinions on this listing? Seller has good feedback… All of the hyperbole in the description and title are making me a bit skeptical, but unfortunately also working to make me excited for the tubes 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2958112123...yxKZkCHb99Bh27bcrXLaQslw==|tkp:Bk9SR87vsd60Yw

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:59 PM Post #42,262 of 42,298
Awesome! I placed an order for a pair of the Mullards today, and if I love them, maybe I’ll grab a backup pair, or maybe a different pair to roll in. It looks like CCa is one of the best of the best tubes for these as well. I am curious about whether I should consider a pair of these as well - could always sell them on later if I don’t use them much / end up grabbing WA5-LE down the line. Any opinions on this listing? Seller has good feedback… All of the hyperbole in the description and title are making me a bit skeptical, but unfortunately also working to make me excited for the tubes 🤣

https://www.ebay.com/itm/295811212311?itmmeta=01HPJYCEYX1Z26NFE1D34ECCKM&hash=item44dfb8e417:g:2K4AAOSwfbRkrXHQ&itmprp=enc:AQAIAAAAwD/GoWRZ7qCKhaFQCBkF7TpkcD64Jjo9qtqosDKD8zKrSXxZ3+O5IZThES254vRofOLOUpBFGL+zht5TayCD5dRTxAxVWvwME1s9xCZNa69flnRbom/UE5oH3TekxGRZ5nF8CpK4DfXxJ8dOHvkXlAGQ77hh8BigWgo+JuT9vz2Jbg9pVZoecV8WhAE+vsbZhWjyhnJTcO7whqPUf3fRmFgfhB4KiR+Vzo0u2k1nEPyxKZkCHb99Bh27bcrXLaQslw==|tkp:Bk9SR87vsd60Yw
Unfortunately I don’t know much about Siemens tubes, sadly. But I’d recommend some searching here regarding that type. 😊

Feb 14, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #42,264 of 42,298
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #42,265 of 42,298
One quick question for the WA5 users. It looks from the pics like the 6SN7 sockets are pretty close together on these. I have been rocking the Grant Fidelity SE 6SN7s from LinLai, which are pretty chonky. Am I correct in assuming they wouldn’t fit in the WA5? Would something a little slimmer, but still a little flared out like the Shuguang or Psvane CV-181 fit?
Yes, they are close together and can be a tight fit with more "stout" tubes. There are solutions to this, however....
That's a very good question. I was going to buy the Sophia Blue 6SN7, which seem similar, but I measured and there is no way that they fit next to my EML 300B Mesh. Sophia claims that they fit next to their blue 300B, but "touching a bit". Not sure that's a good thing, so I never bought them. I would love to try a tube like that for a driver, so I asked if I could return them in case they don't fit. The answer was that Woo gets them for this amp and that they fit. Since I didn't get a firm answer on returning them in case they don't fit, I never bought them.

I don't know if that helps any, but I am also very curious to see if a tube in that format actually fits next to somewhat bulky 300Bs. They'll probably fit next to Elrogs...
The Sophia Blue 6SN7's will fit, but they touch. Also, IMO, they're very "meh" tubes - there are other much better options out there.
20220509_172004_Original.jpeg

The psvane CV181T are an extremely tight fit, I know as I used to use them. Anything bigger will most probably not fit at all in the original sockets. You can get socket adapters made which could move the driver tubes forward a bit which would give them more space.

@Deyan could probably give you some good advice. He made the adapters for me so that I can run my 5Ц3С rectifiers as a quad.
@Deyan does make what I called "offset" adapters for the Woo WA5-LE. I had him make a pair for me specifically for testing some fat-boy tubes that would otherwise not fit:
20221117_180942_Original.jpeg

IMG_0800.jpeg

I can highly recommend his work when it comes to adapters. They're not as pretty as Woo's, but they serve a different purpose.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #42,266 of 42,298
Yes, they are close together and can be a tight fit with more "stout" tubes. There are solutions to this, however....

The Sophia Blue 6SN7's will fit, but they touch. Also, IMO, they're very "meh" tubes - there are other much better options out there.
20220509_172004_Original.jpeg

@Deyan does make what I called "offset" adapters for the Woo WA5-LE. I had him make a pair for me specifically for testing some fat-boy tubes that would otherwise not fit:
20221117_180942_Original.jpeg
IMG_0800.jpeg
I can highly recommend his work when it comes to adapters. They're not as pretty as Woo's, but they serve a different purpose.

Thank you very much for these valuable responses!! You just saved me about $1800 :) I was going to buy the entire set of Sophia blues :)

Feb 15, 2024 at 9:11 PM Post #42,267 of 42,298
Thank you very much for these valuable responses!! You just saved me about $1800 :) I was going to buy the entire set of Sophia blues :)
That's a enough for a pair of Elrog ER300B's and maybe a set of Melz 1578's!

Feb 16, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #42,268 of 42,298

Good to see 2 recommendations for Deyan, I will definitely reach out when the time (pretty much inevitably) comes for that upgrade. And very nice, are those Shuguang WE6SN7+? I never got ahold of those, but I have a few of the WE6SN7 regular that came with my Don Sachs line stage, and I grabbed a couple more off of EBay, but couldn’t wrangle the pluses at the time… I do have a quad of the WEKT88+ though, and they are fire - I save them for special occasions. Seems like a good cause for getting adapters for sure!! Curious how you like those Shuguangs...

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #42,269 of 42,298
PSA for all of you running 6AS7 / 6080 / 5998. These 7236 just went up on EBay. They have high power output like 5998 and 421a. People have said they sound “solid state” but I really think they still bring some tube magic, just a little cleaner, very powerful and articulate. I bought a couple of pairs of these same red lettering 7236 from this seller on EBay a few weeks ago, and they have totally sidelined my 421a and 5998 pairs. I think they’re awesome, and I can actually vouch for the seller. I think the price is good as well, especially compared to 5998 or 421a, though please feel free to let me know if I‘m wrong about this! Anyway, check them out:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3867621120...-itHXKJQEK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Feb 16, 2024 at 3:47 PM Post #42,270 of 42,298
I don’t think it matters much, but just for the record: I was looking at the correct classified and it is indeed a base gen 1 WA5. The picture you sent is a gen 2, but that’s not the picture from the classified, which is why I got confused. Here is a close up. The knobs you see there are to select inputs/outputs, not the level, gain and impedance that the gen 2 WA5 and WA5-LE have. Seller confirmed btw. The port on the left was for the AKG K 1000 headphone in particular. Still a great deal!

1707866334311.png
Hey bro. Yes, the two switches for Hi/Lo Z and Hi/Lo Power are missing. Got a lesson in WA5s today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back