Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
post-5750339
Thread Starter
Post #1 of 40,950

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
18
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18
Hi buddy, I wonder to start this thread earlier when I received my amp and searched that there is no such tiltle so I start it. Please also state what headphone/s you're pairing with and how do you love the combo.

My WA6SE arrived by mid-March this year. I ordered a Sophia Princess 274B and two pairs 6EW7 along with the amp.



Then, finally the following tubes are arriving my home in the following week. Found that I did not swap the Sophia into any other rectifier when I put it in and after burn-in, DAMN, I waste another piece (or 2?) Sophia on all these rectifier although most of them are great tubes but not as good as the Sophia.



It is really an wonderful amp which sounds much over than expected and getting better and better. I have it pair with Senn HD650 (APS V3 SuperNylon/ RAL up-grade with Cardas Plugs and Furutech Plug), AKG K701 (re-cabled by Jena Labs Cable) and JVC HP-DX1000. The K701 combo is the best IMO that I'm not expected, I preferred the HD650 would be a perfect match with WA6SE ( learned that from a lot of reviews and impressions in head-fi) before I receive the WA6SE but I finally found I love the synergy with the K701 combo over the Senn. I can hear those deep, impactful and tight mid-bass from the K701 that I've never heard before and don't have to mention the airy, clearity highs as usual, it make the K701 sounds much more balance. For the DX1000, I don't think it is a good matching or just my weird listening taste, I thought that the highs from the DX1000 is veiled and the mid-bass is bloated with 6SE, not familiar to others who love this combo a lot.

Not to say much here since there are tons of good reviews and impression here in head-fi for Woo Audio's products. But I have to state that I love my WA6SE very much.
 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: atbglenn
post-5750367
Post #2 of 40,950

indydieselnut

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Messages
730
Reaction score
55
Joined
Jan 20, 2009
Posts
730
Likes
55
...in my signature! I guess I can't claim "maxxed" anymore since Jack has added the teflon tube sockets to the option list


I'm running the Sophia Princess 274B mesh-plate and a pair of cryo-treated NOS RCA 6EW7's. Headphones in rotation are:

GS1000i - incredible detail, soundstage is immense

HD650 w/Blue Dragon v.3 - smooth, smooth, smooth and more smooth

Beyer DT880 600-ohm - current most-listened-to 'phone...still getting to know it but I feel it has almost limitless potential.

My Woo has been totally reliable and is still a baby. I received it 3-30-09.

The new Woo's look interesting but I'm pretty happy with what I have...
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750562
Post #6 of 40,950

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
18
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18
WELCOME GUYS!


Quote:

Originally Posted by indydieselnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...in my signature! I guess I can't claim "maxxed" anymore since Jack has added the teflon tube sockets to the option list


I'm running the Sophia Princess 274B mesh-plate and a pair of cryo-treated NOS RCA 6EW7's. Headphones in rotation are:

GS1000i - incredible detail, soundstage is immense

HD650 w/Blue Dragon v.3 - smooth, smooth, smooth and more smooth

Beyer DT880 600-ohm - current most-listened-to 'phone...still getting to know it but I feel it has almost limitless potential.

My Woo has been totally reliable and is still a baby. I received it 3-30-09.

The new Woo's look interesting but I'm pretty happy with what I have...



Hi ndydieselnut, I finally modded it by myself.


I totally swapped all the caps into BlackGate, VK for powe filtering , NH super-e'ed for bypass and cathode in the output unit and a piece rarely found Heart of Muse in the PSU. Mills and RMG gold lead resistots. Just finished for about 2 weeks or so about 100+ hrs burn-in and I don't know how to tell the improvement which I'm not good in express my joy with it after mod. Just improve in every aspect over the already very good sounding stock 6SE after 500+ hrs burn-in before my modding.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750583
Post #7 of 40,950

Orcin

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Messages
1,396
Reaction score
17
Joined
Apr 21, 2007
Posts
1,396
Likes
17
I'm in with a WA6SE stock currently using the Sophia Princess rectifier and NOS Sylvania fat bottle 6EW7 power tubes.

Headphones:
high impedance jack = HD600's with Moon Audio Blue Dragon v3
low impedance jack = D2000's recabled by Drew with a Blue Dragon v3

I leave both plugged in all the time to show off the matching Furutech plugs.


I am using a Zu Birth power cable.

The source is a Paradisea+ DAC connected with Grover SC 1M RCA's.

Here's the pic, so people can't claim this thread is useless.



 
     Share This Post       
  • Like
Reactions: peaceful1
post-5750600
Post #8 of 40,950

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
18
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orcin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's the pic, so people can't claim this thread is useless.



Great pic Orcin.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750635
Post #10 of 40,950

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
18
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18
Either one, you won't regret.

Oh, should I change the title to Woo Audio 6 SE and Woo Audio 6 SE MAX Amp Owner Unite? Almost all of us here are owners of these two models.
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750734
Post #11 of 40,950

atbglenn

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,661
Reaction score
23
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Posts
1,661
Likes
23
Happy Woo WA6 owner here. I just ordered custom feet from Jack similar to the ones used on the latest WA2. Hopefully they will look nice.

Tubes I have are:

Driver/Output: (8) NOS RCA 6DE7 w/shield (4) NOS Westinghouse 6DE7 w/shield (2) NOS GE 6DE7, (2) NOS Sylvania 6DE7 (4) NOS Sylvania 6EW7 Fat Bottle Clear Tops (2) NOS GE 6EW7 Fat Bottle Clear Tops

Rectifiers: (2) NOS Mullard GZ30 (2) NOS RCA 5V4G, (2) NOS Svetlana 5U4G, (2) NOS RCA 5R4GY (1) NOS Ken-Rad 5R4GY (1) Electro Harmonix 5U4GB (2) NOS Sylvania 5U4GB (1955)


 
     Share This Post       
post-5750742
Post #12 of 40,950

jc9394

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Messages
5,921
Reaction score
57
Joined
Feb 6, 2006
Posts
5,921
Likes
57
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Either one, you won't regret.

Oh, should I change the title to Woo Audio 6 SE and Woo Audio 6 SE MAX Amp Owner Unite? Almost all of us here are owners of these two models.



That is bad
I have the regular WA6 Max
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750768
Post #14 of 40,950

dannie01

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
18
Joined
Feb 22, 2008
Posts
1,554
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by atbglenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Happy Woo WA6 owner here. I just ordered custom feet from Jack similar to the ones used on the latest WA2. Hopefully they will look nice.


Welcome atbglenn, please let us know more about the feet you ordered and how it work with your WA6 when received and installed, BTW, how much it cost? Set of 4?
 
     Share This Post       
post-5750777
Post #15 of 40,950

atbglenn

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,661
Reaction score
23
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Posts
1,661
Likes
23
Quote:

Originally Posted by dannie01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome atbglenn, please let us know more about the feet you ordered and how it work with your WA6 when received and installed, BTW, how much it cost? Set of 4?


Hey Dannie,

I paid $25 delivered for a set of 4. If I like the way they look installed, I will post pictures


Glenn
 
     Share This Post       

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Top