Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 8, 2009 at 2:57 AM Post #1,321 of 42,298
Great recommendation on the Sylvania 7236, I just found a Tungsol 7236. What is the difference? Any suggestions on any 6dj8's?

Nov 8, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #1,322 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by bialystok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here it is - my new WA2 with DagMagic

Nice! how did you make the tubes glow purple?

Nov 8, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #1,323 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just what I thought. I have been looking at the WA 6 and WA 6SE but the NOS output tubes is what turns me off. I would prefer having the option to buy new production tubes. I have used a few 6sn7 based pre-amps over the last 15 years. I can remember years ago good NOS 6sn7 were easy and cheap to find. Since then there has been an explosion of manufactures producing 6sn7 based pre-amps which really drained the easy to find 6sn7. Now all the NOS premium 6sn7 cost a fortune because they become more rare as time goes on. But at least I can get new productions that are actually really good sounding.

The 300B amp looks sweet but that's a bit more then I would like to spend on a head phone amp. I'll need to contact Woo to see if one of their current designs can be modified to take a current production.

Come on thats the fun part tweaking the amp! I agree. it would be nice if they still sold the tubes from the good old days. The good news is that the tubes do last a long time. The 6SN7 pre-amp. comment hit home. I just this summer spent $500.00 on 8 1950 6SN7-GT Sylvania tubes (@ $60.00 each plus shipping and insurance
ph34r.gif
and I see some matched pairs of Tung Sol etc. 6SN7 that have been driven up to over $500.00 by the guys with the OMG reviews ) for my Cary SLP 05 pre-amp!!

I may join this Woo club yet. Even with the NOS tubes.

Nov 8, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #1,327 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's my maxed WA2 which was built in July -- everything but the teflon sockets (which I did not want because of past bad experience):
<snipped pictures>

Yes, WilCox, you own a very nice piece of Woo circuitry. I ordered a WA22 with teflon sockets the first week of October. It should be in my clutches in a few weeks (I hope). What was your past bad experience with those sockets?

Nov 10, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #1,328 of 42,298
I am about to join the ranks of you all - I ordered a black WA6 w/PDPS and 22/300V VCAP upgrade. My ordered went in a week ago, so per Jack's estimate, I have a couple weeks to wait. I will need a DAC. Jack recommended for this budget to consider the DAC Magic or PS Audio DIII. DAC Magic seems to be reasonably priced but from reading the forums it seems the build may be rather weak (?). PS Audio looks nice but at more cost. I guess I could consider Constatine or an Audio GD 19MK3 as well. Any DAC recommendations to go with the WA6? I will be listening to rock, prog, reggae, with D5000 and K702 - flac 16/44 though it would be nice to be able to handle 24/96 - I guess the PS or the Cambridge win out there since it looks like the other 2 only do 16/44(?).

Nov 10, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,329 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by zionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to join the ranks of you all - I ordered a black WA6 w/PDPS and 22/300V VCAP upgrade. My ordered went in a week ago, so per Jack's estimate, I have a couple weeks to wait. I will need a DAC. Jack recommended for this budget to consider the DAC Magic or PS Audio DIII. DAC Magic seems to be reasonably priced but from reading the forums it seems the build may be rather weak (?). PS Audio looks nice but at more cost. I guess I could consider Constatine or an Audio GD 19MK3 as well. Any DAC recommendations to go with the WA6? I will be listening to rock, prog, reggae, with D5000 and K702 - flac 16/44 though it would be nice to be able to handle 24/96 - I guess the PS or the Cambridge win out there since it looks like the other 2 only do 16/44(?).

Congrats - I've got my new WA2 hooked up to a dacmagic (see picture on previous page) and I can firmly say that the build of the dacmagic is anything but weak. Its a very solid heavy unit and feels very sturdy. Its all metal construction. It sounds incredible as well - very rich and deep sound that seems to be a superb fit for my amp. I am LOVING it. I'd definitely give a vote to the dacmagic. I got mine for 349 brand new - for half the price of the PS Audio unit it was a no brainer to me.

Nov 10, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #1,330 of 42,298
Thanks for the info. I had heard about power supply issues on some UK units (I am in the US though), and that sometimes the panel wasn't screwed in correctly. That's good to hear you're happy with it - I am leaning toward this unit then. Any avice on where to find it for a good price like you got? I seem to see it around for $429. $349 sounds like a great price.

Nov 10, 2009 at 7:28 AM Post #1,331 of 42,298
Indeed, the DACMagic is a very sturdy unit. Mine has never had any build issues whatsoever (though I paid the full $430... first preorder batch)

Though it is a pretty weak DAC when paired with my WES, the DACMagic still provides an excellent sound for use connected to the computer. Since all of my critical listening is done via SACD 99% of the time, a super-DAC is unnecessary. Even when playing high-rez files via computer, I have yet to feel the need to upgrade

Nov 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #1,332 of 42,298
The MAP is 429 but according the sales rep I spoke to at an audiophile shop north of philadelphia they markup the audio equipment by as much as 60% especially the higher end stuff. He basically just offered it to me for 350 - but I'm positive if you call one of the places on google shopping they'd give you that price.

Nov 10, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #1,333 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by zionic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am about to join the ranks of you all - I ordered a black WA6 w/PDPS and 22/300V VCAP upgrade. My ordered went in a week ago, so per Jack's estimate, I have a couple weeks to wait.

Congratulations!

I placed an order for a wa22 on 11/5. Did you get a confirmation from Jack about the receipt of the order and an ETA? Or did you have to contact him for this?

As a matter of fact I've gotten nothing so far except for the paypal receipt. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

Nov 11, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #1,334 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by ygm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congratulations!

I placed an order for a wa22 on 11/5. Did you get a confirmation from Jack about the receipt of the order and an ETA? Or did you have to contact him for this?

As a matter of fact I've gotten nothing so far except for the paypal receipt. Is this normal?

Thanks in advance.

When I ordered my wa6 over a year ago, I got no order conformation. I emailed Jack a few days later asking him how long I would have to wait for my order. He promptly responded telling me it would take 6 weeks. He was right on the money with his estimate...

Edit: It was 5 weeks, not 6. My mind is going south
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #1,335 of 42,298
I emailed Jack to ask if any additional upgrades were available for the WA6 (before I ordered) then after I made my decision I asked him to send me a Paypal invoice. THat's when he told me the build time is three weeks. After making my Paypal pmt I did not get an email confirmation, but then I emailed him about what DACs he recommends and I got a pretty quick reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back