Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 5, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #1,307 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
congratulation and welcome to the club ...

Are you by chance talking about this club
biggrin.gif

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #1,310 of 42,298
Finally got my WA6-SE today!
smily_headphones1.gif

So far I am really liking it. I had a question about tubes though. I received two sets of 6EW7 and a set of the 6DE7, but I cant find any information if they are re-branded (I assume this, dont really see them mentioned here) and what their origins might be.

My first set of 6EW7 are made by Zenith (think it says made in the USA, washed off...) and are of the cleartop fat bottle variety. My second set are labeled United Electron and are also fat bottle but have a silver top. The Zenith ones have have a round plate at the bottom and a more rectangular one on top while the United electron have rectangular top and bottom.

My 6DE7 is also Zenith (made in the USA) with a silver top.

Anyone know what i got
redface.gif
?

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #1,313 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Woo make any amps that use tubes that are still in production or just NOS tubes?

i dont believe that ANY Woo amp requires NOS tubes. im 99% certain that there are in-production tubes that can be used in all of their products

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #1,314 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by hybwolf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does Woo make any amps that use tubes that are still in production or just NOS tubes?

Most of what they make can use new tubes but most of the NOS are just better. Having said that there are some nice 300B's being made now and then the power tubes have come a long ways. The Woo 6 used the 6DE7 or 6EW7 and a few other in the driver/power section and I don't believe those are made any longer. The last of the NOS of those was from the 1980's but the better ones are from the 1950's and early 60's.

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:02 AM Post #1,315 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by El_Doug /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i dont believe that ANY Woo amp requires NOS tubes. im 99% certain that there are in-production tubes that can be used in all of their products

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
<snip>
The Woo 6 used the 6DE7 or 6EW7 and a few other in the driver/power section and I don't believe those are made any longer. The last of the NOS of those was from the 1980's but the better ones are from the 1950's and early
60's.

Indeed, AFAIK there's no in-production tube that directly substitutes the WA6 driver/power tubes.

Speaking of which, can any of you guys point me to a trustworthy source for 6FD7 tubes? I feel my AKG K701 sound a bit anemic with the stock 6DE7 tubes and I want to try to beef up the output power.

cheers!

Nov 6, 2009 at 3:23 AM Post #1,316 of 42,298
Just what I thought. I have been looking at the WA 6 and WA 6SE but the NOS output tubes is what turns me off. I would prefer having the option to buy new production tubes. I have used a few 6sn7 based pre-amps over the last 15 years. I can remember years ago good NOS 6sn7 were easy and cheap to find. Since then there has been an explosion of manufactures producing 6sn7 based pre-amps which really drained the easy to find 6sn7. Now all the NOS premium 6sn7 cost a fortune because they become more rare as time goes on. But atleast I can get new productions that are actually really good sounding.

The 300B amp looks sweet but that's a bit more then I would like to spend on a head phone amp. I'll need to contact Woo to see if one of their current designs can be modified to take a current production.

Nov 7, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #1,318 of 42,298
I just sent payment for a Woo 3+ severely modified. OK from the top I ordered the Teflon tube sockets upgrade, Blackgates upgrade, FI-03 Rhodium FURUTECH , and the WBT panel mount RCA's, Have many audio grade fuses and a few power cables.

Now what tubes to order? Any Suggestions?

Nov 8, 2009 at 1:56 AM Post #1,320 of 42,298
Big Poppa. You may consider Sylvania 7236 and Sylvania 6SN7W Metal Base ... the sound is fantastic. This is my second rolling from Sylvania 7236 and Sylvania 6SN7GT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back