Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Nov 4, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #1,276 of 42,298
I recently accquired used GES amp hook up to my Dac & loop out to my WA2. The problem is that I am not getting any signals from loop out from the GES. Am I missing something? Does the GES amp must be turned on to use loop out? Either way, on or off, I am not getting any signals to WA2. Please advice if I am missing anything.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #1,277 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by jc9394 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is very easy openning the case, usually 4 screws at the bottom of the unit.

Okay I'll give it a shot - any ideas on how to identify the 24 step attenuator? The BlackGate caps are pretty easy since they say blackgate lol.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #1,278 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by bialystok /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay I'll give it a shot - any ideas on how to identify the 24 step attenuator? The BlackGate caps are pretty easy since they say blackgate lol.

Search for "DACT attenuator" using google. They have a webpage with pictures. It's usually an Alps Blue Velvet if it DOESN'T have the attenuator. The Blue Velvet is a little blue cube and it usually has an ALPS sticker on the back of it. You should be able to tell pretty quickly which one you have.

Congrats on the purchase!

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:01 PM Post #1,280 of 42,298
Quote:

Awesome - thanks dude!!

Sorry one last question - is there any way to tell the difference between the stock tube sockets and the teflon upgraded ones?

Don't quote me on this, the stock socket is matte finish while the teflon is glossy.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #1,281 of 42,298
Quote:

Don't quote me on this, the stock socket is matte finish while the teflon is glossy.

I used the quote function, sorry! I believe it's the other way around. The teflon socket has a matte, almost translucent look to it while the stock sockets are glossy.

It would be the first time I've been wrong if I have this backwards, so anyone else is free to chime in
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:47 PM Post #1,283 of 42,298
It should be easy to identify the socket type.
If it is not teflon then it'll be glazed ceramic.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:49 PM Post #1,284 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by pzm9pzm9 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I recently accquired used GES amp hook up to my Dac & loop out to my WA2. The problem is that I am not getting any signals from loop out from the GES. Am I missing something? Does the GES amp must be turned on to use loop out? Either way, on or off, I am not getting any signals to WA2. Please advice if I am missing anything.

Only the one RCA input next to the RCA loop out will feed the loop out, so if you hooked it to the other input you wont hear anything on the loop out.

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #1,285 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only the one RCA input next to the RCA loop out will feed the loop out, so if you hooked it to the other input you wont hear anything on the loop out.

Thank you
beerchug.gif

Nov 4, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #1,286 of 42,298
Quote:

Wow, that EML 5U4G glows like a christmas tree. Good space heater...

Yep, which is quite handy as it gets pretty cold in my barn where this rig is located. Bonus
biggrin.gif

Rather than duplicate posts, I've posted my initial impressions in the WA22 thread... http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/woo...ml#post6134466

Nov 5, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #1,287 of 42,298
Quote:

Question for you guys. I won a WA2 off of ebay that is maxxed and is arriving today - Its going to bother me unless I can actually verify it for myself - I know a lot of people show the insides of their units - but is there any tutorial on how to open it up?

Or better yet is there any way to tell if it has the premium parts upgrade and the stepped attenuator upgrade without actually having to open the unit? Maybe you could tell by the rca connectors or something? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my maxed WA2 which was built in July -- everything but the teflon sockets (which I did not want because of past bad experience):
wilcox-albums-woo-picture3883-wa2-1.jpg

wilcox-albums-woo-picture3884-wa2-2.jpg

wilcox-albums-woo-picture3885-wa2-3.jpg

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #1,288 of 42,298
What a handsome looking amo, Ive specced exactly the same amp and should recieve it by months end
smily_headphones1.gif

I noticed that your amp seems to have different tube sockets anyway? Are these the black ones that have been popping up in pics?

Nov 5, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #1,289 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It makes me crazy for the EML too.... Wish I can afford another rectifier tube. My replacement SP274B is missing in transit as for now.

Quote:

Let's hope SE have insurance on the shipment. Yeah, it really makes me to get that EML too, but I have no use my WA6 as much since I got my JH13 and iQube. I have to fire up my WA6 tonight and have a listen with JH13.

Latest from Sophia Electric, no replacement for the missing package unless I subsidize/share the cost for another tube and shipping. SE is asking 50%...

That is rather unfair for a customer as the defected tube was returned with Registered Post and Insurance to ensure safe arrival but the return shipping was just a normal Airmail. And now the parcel is no where to be located. According to SE, the package was shipped out on October 03 and it has been more than a month now, my package to them took approx 2 weeks arrive.

It looks like I am heading to EML for a better tube and customer service since the requested sum is not justifiable. Sad... as my spare SP274B is also begun to turn darker now.

Nov 5, 2009 at 2:04 AM Post #1,290 of 42,298
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Latest from Sophia Electric, no replacement for the missing package unless I subsidize/share the cost for another tube and shipping. SE is asking 50%...

That is rather unfair for a customer as the defected tube was returned with Registered Post and Insurance to ensure safe arrival but the return shipping was just a normal Airmail. And now the parcel is no where to be located. According to SE, the package was shipped out on October 03 and it has been more than a month now, my package to them took approx 2 weeks arrive.

It looks like I am heading to EML for a better tube and customer service since the requested sum is not justifiable. Sad... as my spare SP274B is also begun to turn darker now.

Don't you or SE have a tracking number?

Yes in my case the Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier seems to have a short life. I had my first SP replaced after about 20 days. Now after about 5 months of use (5 hours a day) my second SP looks like it may not have much life left in it. It has turned dark and is sparking once when my 6SEM is started.
The SP is a very nice rectifer and and seems to be very good for a range of rigs.

However what I have found was using a EML 274B Solid Plate and a Black Sand Violet V1 power cord on my source player, really makes my 6SEM shine and is a nice improvement over the SP.

ss

Users who are viewing this thread

Back