Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 25, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #40,307 of 42,298
This morning I pulled the trigger on a WA33 (standard) which should be here within the first week of June. I Did read some impressions about the WA33 (standard) from some of the CanJams, and all were very positive. I've owned my WA6 for +/-6yrs now, and I still enjoy it very much, so I'm thinking I can't go wrong.

Look forward to hearing impressions. What source/headphones will you be using?

May 25, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #40,309 of 42,298
This morning I pulled the trigger on a WA33 (standard) which should be here within the first week of June. I Did read some impressions about the WA33 (standard) from some of the CanJams, and all were very positive. I've owned my WA6 for +/-6yrs now, and I still enjoy it very much, so I'm thinking I can't go wrong.

Wow lucky you dude congrats, be sure to post some pics, everything I've read about that amp is "it's simply amazing sounding"..enjoy

May 25, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #40,310 of 42,298

Congrats. I just received my WA33 about a month ago after hearing it at socal canjam. I just had to have one after hearing it and I was coming from the WA22. I mainly use my Utopias and LCD3 with it and sometimes my LCD4. Ive never heard the WA6 but I'm pretty sure you did not go wrong in your decision. Enjoy!

May 25, 2018 at 9:59 PM Post #40,311 of 42,298
Congrats. I just received my WA33 about a month ago after hearing it at socal canjam. I just had to have one after hearing it and I was coming from the WA22. I mainly use my Utopias and LCD3 with it and sometimes my LCD4. Ive never heard the WA6 but I'm pretty sure you did not go wrong in your decision. Enjoy!

How would you compare the sound between the two? And what headphones are you using it with? Thanks.

May 25, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #40,312 of 42,298
Wow lucky you dude congrats, be sure to post some pics, everything I've read about that amp is "it's simply amazing sounding"..enjoy

Thank you both very much!
I'll definitely be posting photos as well as my impressions.
Thanks for your positive post on my blind purchase. I've read pretty much the same reaction from everyone who has demoed the WA33 at the CanJam events.

May 26, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #40,313 of 42,298
May 30, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #40,315 of 42,298
Beautiful photo. I love what the Sophia Princess did to my amp's sound stage and low end. I know that the rectifier tube "rectifies" AC to provide the DC rail voltages, but I was very surprised that a tube not actually in the audio amplification chain could make such a difference (from the stock Chinese tube supplied).

I had the same reaction! I did have a handful of tubes when I bought the amp, among them were a ShuGang 274B, a couple of General Electric (I think) 274Bs, and a Brimar 5Z4G or something like that. I settled on the Brimar being my favourite, and then the Sophia blew me away. I have the Sennheiser HD800, which I applied the SDR mod to, which lowers the soundstage a little bit. The Sophia opened it back up, and made me remove the mod. Apparently there's an EML 274B which is supposed to be even better, but way more expensive. I'll stick with the Sophia for now :)

May 30, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #40,316 of 42,298
As a side note, does anyone have any experience with the Sylvania 6DN7 on a WA6SE? I just got mine and some tube adapters (Admittedly some cheaper ones from Ebay instead of the Woo ones) and there's a prominent hum to them for some reason. This didn't happen with any of my other power/driver tubes and the 6SE was a completely silent amp.

Here is the link to the adapters I bought, for reference. The hum is in both channels so I doubt it's a faulty tube. Any ideas?

Jun 2, 2018 at 5:02 PM Post #40,318 of 42,298
As a side note, does anyone have any experience with the Sylvania 6DN7 on a WA6SE? I just got mine and some tube adapters (Admittedly some cheaper ones from Ebay instead of the Woo ones) and there's a prominent hum to them for some reason. This didn't happen with any of my other power/driver tubes and the 6SE was a completely silent amp.

Here is the link to the adapters I bought, for reference. The hum is in both channels so I doubt it's a faulty tube. Any ideas?

^
Yeah! I agree with the comment above. An adapter either works or it doesn't. Price is irrelevant.
Some tubes just don't play nice. No reason for it as well. You can get tubes of the same variant and some will play nice while others won't.

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:07 PM Post #40,319 of 42,298
Probably the tubes, unfortunately.

^
Yeah! I agree with the comment above. An adapter either works or it doesn't. Price is irrelevant.
Some tubes just don't play nice. No reason for it as well. You can get tubes of the same variant and some will play nice while others won't.

Yeah, I thought the same about the adapters. It's pretty much a pin to pin conversion, so shouldn't interfere too much. Ahh that's annoying. I guess I'll keep looking :frowning2:

Jun 2, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #40,320 of 42,298
I am running a pair of Sylvania 6DN7's in my WA6SE right now. Very quite. Can't say dead silent, but close. Of course with higher impedence phones they are silent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back