Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 13, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #38,761 of 42,298
  If the WU4 sounds good stay with it don't go with a lower voltage drop that can harm your amp.

I know were speaking of 2 different amps, but now I'm really confused on which one to get for the WA6? 
confused_face.gif

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #38,764 of 42,298

Geez. That gets confusing.
I'm just going to stay with WU4GB in my WA22. It sounds great (best rectifier so far) and it runs cool. Those other SS rectifiers almost turned my amp into a volcano. They ran the amp very hot. WZ34 could possibly do the same as it has less voltage drop.

I did another 2.5 hour session last night. Used my LCD-3C's which require more volume. Volume at 2/3rds with no issues. Loving the extra detail from SS rectification. No noise, buzz or hum from any of the other tubes. Amp ran at normal temp.

Badas,  I'm planning on getting the WU4GB for my WA5-LE as well.  When you refer to the amp running hot, what part of the amp are you referring to and how are you measuring it?  I know there are infra red thermometers used to read the water when fly fishing.  I would want to use my EML rectifiers first, gauge the temperature and then switch to the Webers eventually but would like to know where on the amp I should be mindful of using as a baseline.

Sep 13, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #38,765 of 42,298

Badas,  I'm planning on getting the WU4GB for my WA5-LE as well.  When you refer to the amp running hot, what part of the amp are you referring to and how are you measuring it?  I know there are infra red thermometers used to read the water when fly fishing.  I would want to use my EML rectifiers first, gauge the temperature and then switch to the Webers eventually but would like to know where on the amp I should be mindful of using as a baseline.

See the Weber Copper Cap in the middle. The Transformer behind it.
With a normal SS rectifier (I grabbed a couple) after about an hour that transformer got hot. I just touched it. That was my tool. I touched the back of it so I didn't burn my hand on the tubes. It got so hot that the whole amp started to get hot. Even the front panel. Evidently that lack of voltage drop on normal SS rectifiers heats the transformers. That is why it is better to use the WU4GB. It has the best voltage drop and copies the 5U4GB rectifier.

With the WU4GB that transformer goes from room temp to warm after about 2 hours. It doesn't get any warmer than my TAK274B.

So on the WA5 you want to touch the two transformers located behind the rectifier spot. Warms okay. Volcano hot is not.

Edit: Oh! guys. That copper part of the Copper Cap gets very hot. Don't touch it. I suggest using a tube save like I have pictured above to keep the heat away from the amp body. If you have some use them. If not then you should be okay. I kinda like those copper saves as it compliments the copper caps (now I'm being girly).

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:29 PM Post #38,766 of 42,298

See the Weber Copper Cap in the middle. The Transformer behind it.
With a normal SS rectifier (I grabbed a couple) after about an hour that transformer got hot. I just touched it. That was my tool. I touched the back of it so I didn't burn my hand on the tubes. It got so hot that the whole amp started to get hot. Even the front panel. Evidently that lack of voltage drop on normal SS rectifiers heats the transformers. That is why it is better to use the WU4GB. It has the best voltage drop and copies the 5U4GB rectifier.

With the WU4GB that transformer goes from room temp to warm after about 2 hours. It doesn't get any warmer than my TAK274B.

So on the WA5 you want to touch the two transformers located behind the rectifier spot. Warms okay. Volcano hot is not.

Edit: Oh! guys. That copper part of the Copper Cap gets very hot. Don't touch it. I suggest using a tube save like I have pictured above to keep the heat away from the amp body. If you have some use them. If not then you should be okay. I kinda like those copper saves as it compliments the copper caps (now I'm being girly).

Thanks a lot Badas. I predict there will be a run on the WU4GBs in the near future. My order is already shipped as your experience significantly peaked my interest.

Sep 13, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #38,767 of 42,298
Thanks a lot Badas. I predict there will be a run on the WU4GBs in the near future. My order is already shipped as your experience significantly peaked my interest.

I'm very interested in other opinions. As I thought it brought my WA22 to life. Vastly improved.

One thing that does occur to me is the WA5 uses two rectifiers and has two transformers. There is a possibility that performs a lot better than the one and one in the WA22. The improvement might not be as great.

Sep 14, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #38,768 of 42,298
I'm very interested in other opinions. As I thought it brought my WA22 to life. Vastly improved.

One thing that does occur to me is the WA5 uses two rectifiers and has two transformers. There is a possibility that performs a lot better than the one and one in the WA22. The improvement might not be as great.

Yep it has 2 rectifier tubes and 2 transformers, I am not sure of the circuit here but wonder if each tube drives one transformer, thereby power the amp section in a dual-mono kind of arrangement therefore not halving the voltage drop by running parallel. In any case, with mine running 34GBZ tubes those transformers don't get over what feels like room temp. I'm not running my amp hard though as 8 o'clock on the volume with my headphones is loud enough.

Sep 14, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #38,769 of 42,298

Yep it has 2 rectifier tubes and 2 transformers, I am not sure of the circuit here but wonder if each tube drives one transformer, thereby power the amp section in a dual-mono kind of arrangement therefore not halving the voltage drop by running parallel. In any case, with mine running 34GBZ tubes those transformers don't get over what feels like room temp. I'm not running my amp hard though as 8 o'clock on the volume with my headphones is loud enough.

Only one of those transformers are the power transformer that feeds both rectifier tubes.

Sep 16, 2016 at 6:24 AM Post #38,773 of 42,298
I ordered two WU4GB and they shipped today.  I'll have it in a few days.  I'll report back on how it sounds with the WA5-LE.

I ordered one today as well :)

Back in the day I was going to buy one for my fender deluxe reverb... years later never expected to debate buying one for a hi-fi amp lol.

Nervously awaiting second, third and fourth opinions. Hopefully members will like them.

I for one will not go back to a tube rectifier. Those days are done.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #38,774 of 42,298
Going to sell your rectifiers or keep them as collectors items? I've got a bunch of NOS/NIB rarities (power, driver and rectifier tubes) that I seem to have accumulated that I'll be keeping.

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #38,775 of 42,298
Going to sell your rectifiers or keep them as collectors items? I've got a bunch of NOS/NIB rarities (power, driver and rectifier tubes) that I seem to have accumulated that I'll be keeping.

Not sure yet. I might flick off one TAK274B. I don't need two now.
I probably have over 50 sets of various tubes I have tried that I will never use. When I'm not lazy I will sort them out and sell them. It's better for someone else to use them than sit in my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back