Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 16, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #38,776 of 42,298
I received my WA5 today.  Listening right now.  First impressions are SUBLIME!!!!  Separation of the instruments is ridiculous, the best I've heard from a headphone amp.  I'm listening to John Coltrane's "Blue Train" album.  I can pinpoint each instrument out of the ensemble.  They are placed perfectly.  The brass sounds like brass and I can pick out each pluck of the bass strings.  Very clear and concise and CLEAN. FAST!  BLACK background! It drives my HE-6s with aplomb. VERY impressed so far.  Sorry to break it to you, It buries my WA22 and I'm using stock tubes with the WA5.
atsmile.gif
I can't imagine what it's going to be like with some top tier tubes.  

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:26 PM Post #38,777 of 42,298
  I received my WA5 today.  Listening right now.  First impressions are SUBLIME!!!!  Separation of the instruments is ridiculous, the best I've heard from of a headphone amp.  I'm listening to John Coltrane's "Blue Train" album.  I can pinpoint each instrument out of the ensemble.  They are placed perfectly.  The brass sounds like brass and I can pick out each pluck of the bass strings.  Very clear and concise and CLEAN. FAST!  BLACK background! It drives my HE-6s with aplomb. VERY impressed so far.  Sorry to break it to you, It buries my WA22 and I'm using stock tubes with the WA5.
atsmile.gif

Those were my initial findings as well lol.

Sep 16, 2016 at 4:37 PM Post #38,778 of 42,298
I received my WA5 today.  Listening right now.  First impressions are SUBLIME!!!!  Separation of the instruments is ridiculous, the best I've heard from of a headphone amp.  I'm listening to John Coltrane's "Blue Train" album.  I can pinpoint each instrument out of the ensemble.  They are placed perfectly.  The brass sounds like brass and I can pick out each pluck of the bass strings.  Very clear and concise and CLEAN. FAST!  BLACK background! It drives my HE-6s with aplomb. VERY impressed so far.  Sorry to break it to you, It buries my WA22 and I'm using stock tubes with the WA5. :atsmile: I can't imagine what it's going to be like with some top tier tubes.  

Congrats :gs1000smile:

Sep 16, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #38,779 of 42,298
Two words come to mind after listening to the WA5-LE for an extended period.  BLOWN AWAY!!!!!!  It brings the emotion back to my music.  I think this is what reviewers have tried to explain in a few reviews I've read about perfect PRAT.  I've never understood what they were talking about, but now I do.  This is the best purchase I've made in headphone audio thus far.   

Andrea Bocelli and Sarah Brightman sounds GLORIOUS!!!!

Sep 17, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #38,781 of 42,298
  I received my WA5 today.  Listening right now.  First impressions are SUBLIME!!!!  Separation of the instruments is ridiculous, the best I've heard from a headphone amp.  I'm listening to John Coltrane's "Blue Train" album.  I can pinpoint each instrument out of the ensemble.  They are placed perfectly.  The brass sounds like brass and I can pick out each pluck of the bass strings.  Very clear and concise and CLEAN. FAST!  BLACK background! It drives my HE-6s with aplomb. VERY impressed so far.  Sorry to break it to you, It buries my WA22 and I'm using stock tubes with the WA5.
atsmile.gif

I agree with everything you just said. Glad you have one now and can enjoy it as much as the rest of us can 
beerchug.gif

Sep 18, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #38,784 of 42,298

Thanks @phonyx the WA5 is in another league from any other headamp I've used.

Same with me, I was getting a little down as I couldn't find anything I was really happy with. Then I tried the WA5 as a last resort and it totally floored me. As in, mouth hanging open listening to music I've heard many times before. Mine's got upgraded tubes but nothing too fancy. You don't need to spend the amp's price again on tubes to get brilliant sound. 

Sep 19, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #38,785 of 42,298
Hi All, I haven't been able to follow all of this thread-- so apologies if this has already been discussed: Just wondering if any Woo amp owners are pairing them with the new Focal Elear and Utopia 'phones. Any reports on optimal amp/tubes synergy in the Woo line?

Also, I've been a happy owner of the 3, 6, and 2 for a while now, used with various headphones and for different applications. I'm hoping to upgrade in the not too distant future though, funds permitting. I'm considering the 22 (heard it and liked it a lot)-- or should I save a little more and go for the 5LE? I'm wanting an amp that would be excellent with both the likes of the HD800 (for classical) and the ATW3000ANV or the AQ Nighthawks, etc. (for everything else). Or possibly getting one or both of the Focals. Any thoughts on how best to upgrade next would be appreciated. Thanks. (BTW, I'm good with my source for now-- an Arcam CD37 CD/SACD player).

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #38,786 of 42,298
Hi All, I haven't been able to follow all of this thread-- so apologies if this has already been discussed: Just wondering if any Woo amp owners are pairing them with the new Focal Elear and Utopia 'phones. Any reports on optimal amp/tubes synergy in the Woo line?

Also, I've been a happy owner of the 3, 6, and 2 for a while now, used with various headphones and for different applications. I'm hoping to upgrade in the not too distant future though, funds permitting. I'm considering the 22 (heard it and liked it a lot)-- or should I save a little more and go for the 5LE? I'm wanting an amp that would be excellent with both the likes of the HD800 (for classical) and the ATW3000ANV or the AQ Nighthawks, etc. (for everything else). Or possibly getting one or both of the Focals. Any thoughts on how best to upgrade next would be appreciated. Thanks. (BTW, I'm good with my source for now-- an Arcam CD37 CD/SACD player).

I recommend going straight to the WA5-LE. It's worth the extra money. It's in a whole different league from the WA22. PURE BUTTERY BLISS! You won't be disappointed.

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #38,787 of 42,298

I have the WA5-LE v1 and own the HD800, W3000ANV and just retrun the Elear to upgrade to the Utopia after I had a loaner at home. In all three cases the WA5-LE is a great match.
I have no experience in the AQ. I listened to them twice at shows and are not my cup of tea.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Sep 19, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #38,788 of 42,298
I have the Utopia + the WA5 ... I'm past around 200 hrs of burn in on the utopia. I think it sounds amazing with the WA5... Then again I left it plugged into my Denon receiver for the burn in and I also thought that sounded really good (like wait why did I go buy the ridiculously expensive amp and dac again?) I go through moods where I think it's better through the V281 or the WA5. Anyways when I want it the best I'm usually on the WA5...

Sep 20, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #38,789 of 42,298
I have the Utopia + the WA5 ... I'm past around 200 hrs of burn in on the utopia. I think it sounds amazing with the WA5... Then again I left it plugged into my Denon receiver for the burn in and I also thought that sounded really good (like wait why did I go buy the ridiculously expensive amp and dac again?) I go through moods where I think it's better through the V281 or the WA5. Anyways when I want it the best I'm usually on the WA5...

I think the Utopia would sound great on a lot of setups. Because they are so neutral and yet have kind of a euphoric quality to them. Therefore they don't need the source/amp to "fix" the flaws of the headphone cough*HD800*cough.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:48 AM Post #38,790 of 42,298
As the owner of Jerick's former WA22, I am looking forward to when he tires of the WA5 and emails me that it is for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back