Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 20, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #38,791 of 42,298
Got my copper cap today. I guess I should have waited for glenn to say which I should get, but well, I didn't. I'll probably use it some, and when I can, get the version glenn said to get.

First impressions are that it is pretty good. I will need to do some more listening. The general sound is definitely cleaner, but I will need to go back and forth some to really see what I think about it. So far, everything seems to be more precise. At first, I didn't like it. But as I keep listening, I think overall the sound is improved. Faster is not always better, but the WA6 is handling complex passages much better. Bass is simply far better. Extends further, is cleaner, faster, more precise, all of it. Timpani in particular is so much better. Quiet rumblings of timpani are actually placed, instead of me just hearing something, down there, that sounds like timpani.

Btw, coming from a U52 rectifier, using NU 6C8G atm, in the WA6, with Grado PS500. I haven't listened to the U52 in months now, but I think I know what it sounds like in general. If the 30 dollar cap can beat the U52, which I cannot afford to replace, then I guess I'm happy.

edit: Ya, it's not just a huge improvement, but in every register, there is a slight improvement. I'm sure that I'm somewhat limited by the amp itself.

Sep 20, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #38,792 of 42,298
  Got my copper cap today. I guess I should have waited for glenn to say which I should get, but well, I didn't. I'll probably use it some, and when I can, get the version glenn said to get.

First impressions are that it is pretty good. I will need to do some more listening. The general sound is definitely cleaner, but I will need to go back and forth some to really see what I think about it. So far, everything seems to be more precise. At first, I didn't like it. But as I keep listening, I think overall the sound is improved. Faster is not always better, but the WA6 is handling complex passages much better. Bass is simply far better. Extends further, is cleaner, faster, more precise, all of it. Timpani in particular is so much better. Quiet rumblings of timpani are actually placed, instead of me just hearing something, down there, that sounds like timpani.

Btw, coming from a U52 rectifier, using NU 6C8G atm, in the WA6, with Grado PS500. I haven't listened to the U52 in months now, but I think I know what it sounds like in general. If the 30 dollar cap can beat the U52, which I cannot afford to replace, then I guess I'm happy.

Good to hear the positive impressions so far.
Which did you get, the WU4GB? If so, how is the WA6 reacting in terms of temperature? 

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #38,793 of 42,298

Good to hear the positive impressions so far.
Which did you get, the WU4GB? If so, how is the WA6 reacting in terms of temperature? 

I got the WZ34. The amp itself says it's designed for 5AR4, so I figured getting a dropin designed to replace that would be best. If I had to do it again, I would get what Glenn said to get.

Since he said this might not be enough voltage drop, I'm a little scared, so I ran the amp for maybe 30 minutes. The temperature was fine, I didn't notice anything getting hot, just touching the outside of the amp. Also, the copper cap remained cool to the touch. Maybe it heats up after more than 20 or 30 minutes, I don't know. I'll run it some more later.

Sep 20, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #38,794 of 42,298
  I got the WZ34. The amp itself says it's designed for 5AR4, so I figured getting a dropin designed to replace that would be best. If I had to do it again, I would get what Glenn said to get.

Since he said this might not be enough voltage drop, I'm a little scared, so I ran the amp for maybe 30 minutes. The temperature was fine, I didn't notice anything getting hot, just touching the outside of the amp. Also, the copper cap remained cool to the touch. Maybe it heats up after more than 20 or 30 minutes, I don't know. I'll run it some more later.

Thanks for the info. 
Looking forward to more.

Sep 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #38,795 of 42,298
  As the owner of Jerick's former WA22, I am looking forward to when he tires of the WA5 and emails me that it is for sale.

You shouldn't have too much longer to wait. WA22 SE will be out soon.

WA22 can be a little temperamental (though a lot of us have had good success with various combos of tubes - for me it's 4 * 6BL7's + 2 * ECC32's or 2 * B65's + "a number of different rectifiers"). There is some debate on whether 6SN7's are the ideal tubes to drive 300B's (search this forum) for the WA5 (though all forum members seem to love theirs). Perhaps the WA22 SE will "get it right"?

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #38,796 of 42,298
I've had my copper caps for a few days.  I've only been able to listen to them for a short period of time though.  Initial impressions are very positive.  The clarity and detail really shine.  It's like the entire sound is cleaned up from top to bottom.  That last little bit of grain is gone and replaced with smooth pure goodness.  It makes the WA5 even more of a precision microscope and increases the resolution further.  The funny thing is I didn't notice the graininess until I put these in.  Good find @Badas.  

Sep 20, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #38,797 of 42,298
I've had my copper caps for a few days.  I've only been able to listen to them for a short period of time though.  Initial impressions are very positive.  The clarity and detail really shine.  It's like the entire sound is cleaned up from top to bottom.  That last little bit of grain is gone and replaced with smooth pure goodness.  The funny thing is I didn't notice the graininess until I put these in.  Good find @Badas

I wouldn't think there would be a problem running these either as they are drop in replacements.

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #38,800 of 42,298

Same with me, I was getting a little down as I couldn't find anything I was really happy with. Then I tried the WA5 as a last resort and it totally floored me. As in, mouth hanging open listening to music I've heard many times before. Mine's got upgraded tubes but nothing too fancy. You don't need to spend the amp's price again on tubes to get brilliant sound. 

I second that feeling of "floored me".  It is an incredible amp.  I recommend the Weber WU4GB copper caps.  They really enhance the audio quite a bit.  I was running Brimar 5Z4Gs.  

Sep 20, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #38,801 of 42,298
  As the owner of Jerick's former WA22, I am looking forward to when he tires of the WA5 and emails me that it is for sale.

@davehg I hope you are enjoying your new WA22.  

LOL....  I doubt my WA5 will be up for sale any time soon, but never say never.  There is RMAF in a few weeks and I may find something there that peaks my interest......  But I promised myself that I was done with this buying circus....  
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 20, 2016 at 10:56 PM Post #38,802 of 42,298
@davehg
 I hope you are enjoying your new WA22.  

LOL....  I doubt my WA5 will be up for sale any time soon, but never say never.  There is RMAF in a few weeks and I may find something there that peaks my interest......  But I promised myself that I was done with this buying circus....  :confused_face_2:  
I love my WA5LE I'm using the TAK 300B TAK 274B and VT231 Tungsol round plates

Congrats on your purchase of the WA5LE

Sep 20, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #38,803 of 42,298

I second that feeling of "floored me".  It is an incredible amp.  I recommend the Weber WU4GB copper caps.  They really enhance the audio quite a bit.  I was running Brimar 5Z4Gs.  

After you guys have some more time on them I'd love to hear some more feedback on your thoughts in the WA5, any changing in temperature/etc...

Now after Mike and Jack explicitly said none of us should run these... Do you all feel like naughty rebellious children running out and buying these? As all these positive comments roll in I want to go join the party.

@davehg I hope you are enjoying your new WA22.  

LOL....  I doubt my WA5 will be up for sale any time soon, but never say never.  There is RMAF in a few weeks and I may find something there that peaks my interest......  But I promised myself that I was done with this buying circus....  
confused_face_2.gif

Yea that was my justification too. Long term done and done. Got the high end amp so I can forget about shopping and temptation.

Sep 21, 2016 at 12:27 AM Post #38,804 of 42,298

After you guys have some more time on them I'd love to hear some more feedback on your thoughts in the WA5, any changing in temperature/etc...

Now after Mike and Jack explicitly said none of us should run these... Do you all feel like naughty rebellious children running out and buying these? As all these positive comments roll in I want to go join the party.

I have talked to Woo audio and I they told me they simply do not know if this will work or not and since this is not a standard tube you should not be using it.

Sep 21, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #38,805 of 42,298
I have talked to Woo audio and I they told me they simply do not know if this will work or not and since this is not a standard tube you should not be using it.

There's the key. They don't know. For the price of them they should buy one and find out. Heck they could even sell their version for guys who want to have a SS Rectifer hybrid amp.

It's just like the 6BL7 power tube. Woo says no and now there are stacks of guys using them. I used it for 6 months wth no issues.

For the record my amp has used it for 25 individual sessions now. Number 26 is working right now. It has never sounded so great.

Good to see some more impressions. Looks kinda positive impressions. Nice to know it wasn't just me and others a loving the sound also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back