Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 6, 2015 at 8:24 PM Post #34,141 of 42,298
My Woo got a buddy yesterday. I added a TT to the system. Fun.

Oh, very nice!

I have been re-arranging / re-org'ing gear to make room for my 1984 Thorens TT (reconditioning with a new cart and drive belt).

But looking at these new TTs, I wonder if I should skip that and get something new.

Congrats and can't wait to hear what you think of the sound... I'm Je-l-l-l-y-y-y 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 6, 2015 at 8:25 PM Post #34,142 of 42,298
cool I had one of those  like 45 years ago just a little different looking Lol..

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:35 PM Post #34,143 of 42,298
cool I had one of those  like 45 years ago just a little different looking Lol..

Yeah. Added it in for fun. A friend was going to throw away a lot of records. There is some real gold stuff in the collection. So I took them off him and figured I will play around with vinyl.

He was going to throw away a mint condition Bob Dylan album from 1966. :mad: :rolleyes:

Jul 6, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #34,144 of 42,298
wow grab that, I really loved my turn tables awesome sound just about as fine as it gets..

Jul 7, 2015 at 9:42 AM Post #34,145 of 42,298

I had this one a THORENS TD160 gave it to my son along with my 600+ records from 60's 70's and 80's cant say i miss vinyl though like they say been there done that .                                                             

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #34,148 of 42,298

Time to burn some tubes. Rolled in the GE 6AS7g's. So far it is ticking a lot of boxes. Early days tho.

My favorite New Zealand artist Gin Wigmore released a new album today. You go girl. Your first two albums were a knock out. Way better than the other Kiwi girl. Lorde. Let's see if she can make it 3 from 3.

We got a single, Written in the Water, on May 29th.  Is it on that album?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:22 PM Post #34,149 of 42,298

I had this one a THORENS TD160 gave it to my son along with my 600+ records from 60's 70's and 80's cant say i miss vinyl though like they say been there done that .                                                             

Yeah. I never thought I would do vinyl. I have actually never had a player. Ever. I am part of the cassette generation. Using tubes has made me feel vintage. So I want to experiment. Also scoring a lot of free records helped me.

So far it is great. I've been using speakers so far. The sonics are way better than digital. Will experiment with HP's soon. However I think crackling sound might be too much for HP's.
  Seamonster suggested ecc804 in wa22.  They are really good tubes actually reminds me of tung sol 6f8g round plates but a little leaner.

Any particular brand? Do you need a adapter or do they fit straight in the 6SN7 circuit?

Jul 7, 2015 at 6:52 PM Post #34,151 of 42,298

Yeah. I never thought I would do vinyl. I have actually never had a player. Ever. I am part of the cassette generation. Using tubes has made me feel vintage. So I want to experiment. Also scoring a lot of free records helped me.

So far it is great. I've been using speakers so far. The sonics are way better than digital. Will experiment with HP's soon. However I think crackling sound might be too much for HP's.

Any particular brand? Do you need a adapter or do they fit straight in the 6SN7 circuit?

Yeah you need a 6cg7 to 6sn7 adapter.  Mazda ecc804 but I think they are made by brimar or mullard.

Jul 8, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #34,152 of 42,298

I find them quite different, the SERP's have probably the most bottom end out of the 300B's I have heard. They are as Stereolab says a bit dark, my concern is the failure rate, I don't know anyone who has not had problems with them. 

Well, now I can go into the category of users who've had problems with SERPs, since one of the brand-new pair I'm using for my WA5-LE has died.* While I'm getting it replaced I popped in the EML Mesh 300Bs and confirmed my earlier opinion that they on the same level of SQ as the SERPs, but have a smoother, more organic quality. Certainly a bit more tube-like. A touch darker for sure. I still prefer the SERPs but am perfectly happy with the EMLs.

* I noticed the filament occasionally getting very bright, much more than the other tube. While doing this, I would here some static. I then tested the tube and noticed it could only manage 2000 Gm, far less than the 5000-6000 Gm that's standard for 300Bs (and that its healthy sibling manages). Once again the decision to buy a quality tube-tester has been validated. Without it I would likely have soldiered on, since the WA5-LE's auto-bias circuitry was able to compensate for the lesser Gm. But surely that's not good for the amp and at some point something would have failed.

Jul 9, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #34,153 of 42,298
I have the pleasure of introducing a WA5 into my home setup and I'm suitably impressed with the tone. I'm running Abyss with it and feeding it redbooks and HD flacs via a Bricasti M1.

I'm finding it very laid back though. Almost too laid back and not fast enough. Maybe I just need to adjust my perception as I've also running a LAu which seems more forward and certainly faster. I'm gonna try some AQ Sky RCA interconnects between the Bricasti and the WA5 this weekend to see if its the custom gold interconnects that's muddying up the SQ.

Any idea what tube combos I can roll with to add a bit more clarity? 

Jul 9, 2015 at 8:08 PM Post #34,154 of 42,298
Congratulations:

Depends on your budget, the best tubes for the WA5 will cost you more than the amps. Can you expand a bit more on this please.

Jul 9, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #34,155 of 42,298
  I have the pleasure of introducing a WA5 into my home setup and I'm suitably impressed with the tone. I'm running Abyss with it and feeding it redbooks and HD flacs via a Bricasti M1.

I'm finding it very laid back though. Almost too laid back and not fast enough. Maybe I just need to adjust my perception as I've also running a LAu which seems more forward and certainly faster. I'm gonna try some AQ Sky RCA interconnects between the Bricasti and the WA5 this weekend to see if its the custom gold interconnects that's muddying up the SQ.

Any idea what tube combos I can roll with to add a bit more clarity? 

Treasures = power
1942 tung sol round plate = driver
EML = rectifier 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back