Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 3, 2015 at 4:21 PM Post #34,126 of 42,298
  does anyone know if the Woo audio transport can play hi res cds.?? like HD tracks cds?

Best person to answer that is Fririce0003 he has one.

Jul 3, 2015 at 6:32 PM Post #34,128 of 42,298
  I need to understand better exactly what the high and low impedance jacks do on a Woo amp. Is it correct to say that the only technical difference is that each jack is tapped from a different spot in the secondary windings of the output transformers? Which means that the high jack will deliver a higher voltage but with a lower maximum current? This explains why the high jack produces the same volume at a lower setting on the volume knob than the low jack. Now assuming I have headphones I can drive to my preferred volume perfectly well on either jack, is there any technical reason why there would be a SQ difference?

Let me partially answer that... I assume output impedance (http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html) as presented to the headphones is also changed by where you take the tap? While output impedance supposedly has big effect on freq response for dynamic drivers, it doesn't affect planar drivers, right?

All that you have mentioned is correct. 

1) Selected impedance is looking at the secondary winding of the output transformer with the the matched signal path load resistor in the circuit design.

2) Dynamic driver has a coil in the diaphram and the coil driver become part of inductive LC network which act as a tank circuit that is constantly pulsing as a frequency generator which requires the right load impedance to produce and not over current the circuit. That is why it is important to match the right load constant or gain.

Planar mechanically resonant the frequency across the entire grid like tuning fork very fast and does not pulse. This is why you hear people say in theory the Planar is quick thru the music passage. Same principal with a Electrostat ribbon.  

Jul 5, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #34,129 of 42,298
After several weeks on listen I have to say the brimar 5z4 is one of the best rectifiers out there to my ears. Love it. U52 brimar is next.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #34,130 of 42,298
After several weeks on listen I have to say the brimar 5z4 is one of the best rectifiers out there to my ears. Love it. U52 brimar is next.
How available and what am i looking at regarding cost? Roughly.

Jul 5, 2015 at 3:34 PM Post #34,132 of 42,298
Thanks.
I'm currently running a pair of Mullard EZ80 in my WA2 . I'm new to tube rolling my Woo so I don't want to sound too dumb here but, how much of an improvement would I get going to that brimar (if any)? In your experience.

Jul 5, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #34,134 of 42,298

How available and what am i looking at regarding cost? Roughly.

http://www.langrex.co.uk/common-valves.html
Langrex has those also for around $29.00 U.S.                             

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:24 PM Post #34,136 of 42,298

Very nice.
Think I do like the black base regular 5z4g (no y) a little better tho

Jul 5, 2015 at 10:36 PM Post #34,137 of 42,298
There are differences ? guess I'd better check one of those out..

Jul 6, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #34,138 of 42,298

Very nice.
Think I do like the black base regular 5z4g (no y) a little better tho

They had black base also just ask. but yours are different maybe older                                                                                                                                           

Jul 6, 2015 at 1:31 PM Post #34,139 of 42,298
Thanks.
I'm currently running a pair of Mullard EZ80 in my WA2 . I'm new to tube rolling my Woo so I don't want to sound too dumb here but, how much of an improvement would I get going to that brimar (if any)? In your experience.

EZ80 tube sonic comparison (mid way down the page) from lukaskite:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/402215/the-woo-audio-2/510

Jul 6, 2015 at 5:47 PM Post #34,140 of 42,298
Brimar 5Z4GY

I have tried brown and black base. Grey and black plates. They all sounded the same to my ears.

I ended up just stocking up on the brown base. I like its looks a little better.

My Woo got a buddy yesterday. I added a TT to the system. Fun.

I can't wait for the old school TT and tubes session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back