Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 1, 2015 at 6:26 PM Post #34,111 of 42,298
^

Hubba, hubba, hubba.
gs1000.gif

That is some serious engineering on that amp. Look at that plate on top. How thick is that grill? Amazing.

Jul 2, 2015 at 2:12 AM Post #34,112 of 42,298
Currently looking at Woo amps again for my beloved TH900. I used to have the WA7 before and it was fantastic with the TH900 (ended up selling it though because at the time I just was not using it much and needed to free up some funds. However, now I am in a much better place financially and am craving for a good amp to pair with my TH900.

So far on my list of possible choices is a WA7TP (previously I had just the WA7 without the tube power supply upgrade), the WA6 and the WA6SE. Anyone want to comment on how the WA7TP and WA6/WA6SE compare? 

Jul 2, 2015 at 10:31 AM Post #34,113 of 42,298
  Currently looking at Woo amps again for my beloved TH900. I used to have the WA7 before and it was fantastic with the TH900 (ended up selling it though because at the time I just was not using it much and needed to free up some funds. However, now I am in a much better place financially and am craving for a good amp to pair with my TH900.

So far on my list of possible choices is a WA7TP (previously I had just the WA7 without the tube power supply upgrade), the WA6 and the WA6SE. Anyone want to comment on how the WA7TP and WA6/WA6SE compare? 

WA7+WA7tp or WA22 would be my personal recommendations.

Jul 2, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #34,114 of 42,298
You know you want a WA5, which I conveniently have for sale. :)

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:25 PM Post #34,116 of 42,298

I don't know much about the TH900. So I looked it up. According to the specs it needs to be driven well.

It was interesting I didn't think the WA7 would power them well, however not only will it power it well it should do better than the WA6.
I think you could find the WA6 a little underpowered.
The WA7 doesn't have as many tube rolling options however there is a nice thread on the topic.

WA2 will be underpowered.
WA22 is what I own but it could be a bit pricey. Not much difference between the Duo WA7 combo tho. Lots of tube rolling options.

WA6SE would be my choice. Plenty of power and more tube rolling fun.

Jul 2, 2015 at 4:28 PM Post #34,117 of 42,298
WA6 sounds great, but it is not a powerhouse. Mine can just power my HD600s adequately.

If the TH900 needs the juice a higher powered amp would be a better choice.

Jul 2, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #34,118 of 42,298

I don't know much about the TH900. So I looked it up. According to the specs it needs to be driven well.

WA2 will be underpowered.

WA22 is what I own but it could be a bit pricey. Not much difference between the Duo WA7 combo tho. Lots of tube rolling options.

WA6SE would be my choice. Plenty of power and more tube rolling fun.

They are low impedance cans (25-ohm, similar to my 32-ohm Grados) and the OTL models (WA2/WA3) will clip at volume.

Jul 2, 2015 at 7:03 PM Post #34,119 of 42,298
does anyone know if the Woo audio transport can play hi res cds.?? like HD tracks cds?

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #34,120 of 42,298
  does anyone know if the Woo audio transport can play hi res cds.?? like HD tracks cds?

Many reviews and the Woo's owners manual states only CDDA (Compact Disc Digital Audio (16-Bit/44.1kHz); aka Redbook) for the WTP1 transport:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CEQQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wooaudio.com%2Fmanuals%2FWTP1_WDS1_Owners_Manual.pdf&ei=_taVVcKdM8SiyASh9p2ABA&usg=AFQjCNGXpIbpq3Clpmp7IDmN_zeuF99Ruw&bvm=bv.96952980,d.aWw&cad=rja

If you're referring to  HDCD, I don't believe so since HDCD is a proprietary Microsoft format.  Which is a bummer!  I have support for Redbook, HDCD, and 24-Bit/ 96kHZ up-sampling in my modified Shangling T-100C CD player.  These formats work very well when implemented correctly.

Jul 2, 2015 at 11:42 PM Post #34,122 of 42,298

Mmmmmmm. WA5. If only nice 300B tubes weren't so crazy expensive...

Relevant to what; are we comparing apples for oranges? A properly made 300B amp manufactured by high end company for loudspeaker equivalent and to the quality of the Woo WA5 would cost 3 to 4 times the cost. The Woo WA5 is actually a steal for this custom built point to point wired master piece!
beerchug.gif

Jul 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM Post #34,125 of 42,298
I need to understand better exactly what the high and low impedance jacks do on a Woo amp. Is it correct to say that the only technical difference is that each jack is tapped from a different spot in the secondary windings of the output transformers? Which means that the high jack will deliver a higher voltage but with a lower maximum current? This explains why the high jack produces the same volume at a lower setting on the volume knob than the low jack. Now assuming I have headphones I can drive to my preferred volume perfectly well on either jack, is there any technical reason why there would be a SQ difference?

Let me partially answer that... I assume output impedance (http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/headphone-amp-impedance.html) as presented to the headphones is also changed by where you take the tap? While output impedance supposedly has big effect on freq response for dynamic drivers, it doesn't affect planar drivers, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back