Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #7,891 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi All.  When my WA22 shows up (suppose to be shipping this week), I'll spend time letting it burn-in on my Anthem D1.  In February, I plan on purchasing the Oppo 95 Blu-ray player and connecting it directly into the WA22 via XLR. I'm assuming this will work because the WA22 has a volume control (pre-amp). I should also be able to steam musice from my NAS using the Oppo 95. I'm not concerned about steaming music from the internet, as I'll use my laptop and other headphones.  My question is, will a DAC (i.e. W4S DAC-2) add any value if I put it between the WA22 and Oppo 95? Does this should right, or am I on the wrong track. Thanks.

Probably not. Both are using the same DAC solution, and understanding that the Saber 9018 is a very tricky DAC to implement, my guess is because Oppo has had more experience with the Saber DAC you may be just going sideways in AQ.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #7,892 of 42,298
I think the comparison goes way beyond the DAC chip itself.  It is equally about how the chip is integrated into the circuitry.  The fact that the DAC is part of the internal configuration of the Oppo would give it an advantage over an external DAC which requires an extra set of interconnects. Your ears need to be the judge but I agree with SS that you are not likely to gain much.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:25 AM Post #7,893 of 42,298
The whole point of the Oppo BDP-95 is its analog performance. Especially if you plan on using it to play SACDs, Then using an external DAC is probably going to be a step down in performance, even if the DAC is using the same DAC chip, due to the fact that basically no DACs intended for the audiophile market support HDCP.

Jan 18, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #7,895 of 42,298
RIGHT.  The analog output stage makes a huge difference, not just the DAC chip.

Jan 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM Post #7,896 of 42,298
Thanks for the replies Guy's.  Rumour has it starting at around $975.00.  I also agree, your (own) ears should always be the judge.  I just don't want to spend $1500-2000 on a DAC (+ cables) if it isn't going to improve anything.

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7,897 of 42,298
Augh - EML casualty!  I switched out my TSRP's with a pair of Princesses this morning and when I turned on my WA22 my EML tube died.

No spectacular pop or blown fuse.  The filiment just went by-by and that was it.  Had to put in the stock rectifier.

I emailed Jack.  Does anyone know if there is any kind of a warranty on the EML's?

Jan 18, 2011 at 1:29 PM Post #7,898 of 42,298
How old was your EML (hours used)?  You should be asking Jack if the voltage going to the EML is not too great.  Dan Wright adjusted this on my Modwright Transporter since others were seeing their EMLs die an early death.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #7,899 of 42,298

Quote:
How old was your EML (hours used)?  You should be asking Jack if the voltage going to the EML is not too great.  Dan Wright adjusted this on my Modwright Transporter since others were seeing their EMLs die an early death.

The EML is around three months old, so it's not very old.  I am sure Jack is busy, so hopefully he'll get to me soon.

Thing is, I have not seen any posts here about EML's dieing in WA22's.  What have you heard?  Does the Transporter use the EML 5U4G?

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 2:57 PM Post #7,900 of 42,298

Quote:
The EML is around three months old, so it's not very old.  I am sure Jack is busy, so hopefully he'll get to me soon.  
Thing is, I have not seen any posts here about EML's dieing in WA22's.  What have you heard?  Does the Transporter use the EML 5U4G?

Thanks.

Yes, I am using the EML Mesh 5UAG in my transporter.  Dan installed resistors in the B+ leads to the anode of the rectifier which lowered the voltage to it.  I can't say how this compares to the WA22.  Since the EML is sold as an upgrade to the WA22 I would assume it shouldn't require a modification.  But you should ask Jack.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:08 PM Post #7,901 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Yes, I am using the EML Mesh 5UAG in my transporter.  Dan installed resistors in the B+ leads to the anode of the rectifier which lowered the voltage to it.  I can't say how this compares to the WA22.  Since the EML is sold as an upgrade to the WA22 I would assume it shouldn't require a modification.  But you should ask Jack.

The EML does indeed have less tolerance for voltage swings north than the standard 5U4G tube.  I did check with Jack on compatibility and specifically mentioned Dan's adjustment he had to make.  Jack assured me that he built his amp (mine was a WA6SEm) to be EML friendly.  Mine was NOT a WA22 though, but if he's selling the EML as an upgrade for the 22 I'm sure that he's taken that into account since he's aware of the issue. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:41 PM Post #7,902 of 42,298

Quote:
Augh - EML casualty!  I switched out my TSRP's with a pair of Princesses this morning and when I turned on my WA22 my EML tube died.

No spectacular pop or blown fuse.  The filiment just went by-by and that was it.  Had to put in the stock rectifier.

I emailed Jack.  Does anyone know if there is any kind of a warranty on the EML's?

At TubesUSA it is one year or 2000 hours.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #7,903 of 42,298
Mike -

I had 2 EMLs die.  I even sent my amp back to Jack because I thought something was wrong.  Both that died were of the old body-style.  The first lasted about as long as yours 2-3 months.  The second lasted about a month.  I got one of the new body-style EMLs and it has been going strong for 2-3 months.  There must be some reason they changed the EML 5U4G and I'm guessing it was due to premature failures.  I am very happy with the EML I have now.  What body-style do you have?

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #7,904 of 42,298
OK - inbound Woo alert! Got the shipping notice today that my WA2 is on its way. In a fit of complete financial irresponsibility (that my wife doesn't know about yet) i ended up ordering a new DAC (Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2) as well as ordering a PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator! This all better sound fantastic or I'm really going to be depressed
normal_smile%20.gif

The DAC decision was really hard - thanks (I think) to WindyCityCy for kicking me over the edge with his endorsement of the W4S.

Jan 18, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #7,905 of 42,298
khollister - good luck sneaking the dac into your setup without the wife noticing.
it's a pretty attractive unit.  downside of that is, pretty attention-grabbing as well...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back