Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 15, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7,876 of 42,298
Thanks! Since I ordered the tube-hybrid version, he said it would be about 30 days...so hopefully about 25 days from now :D

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM Post #7,877 of 42,298

Quote:
Jax,

For SS why not consider a Matrix Mini I?  $300.  Over at Headphonista they went nuts for it.

More upscale:  The new Grace 903 looks killer.  Separate power supplies for DAC and amp.  USB 24/192 (maybe 96) Wavelenght asynch USB.  All in one package.  $2K though but possibly a giant killer.

Thanks, all for the suggestions, but I have no idea where anyone got the idea that I might be looking for a DAC?!  I'm very happy with the AGD Ref. 8 DAC that I have. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 5:36 PM Post #7,878 of 42,298

Quote:
I emailed the guy to see if he was willing to mail them (as opposed to UPS) and he said he has more pairs. Has anyone with the appropriate knowledge/experience taken a look at them that knows if they are the genuine article or not? When I got my oval mica TSRPs I was under the impression that they were the real thing but they can't be actual TSRPs if they are oval right? Anyways it would be nice to resolve this chrome dome thing, to know if they are really Bad Boys or not before proceeding as I have spent quit a bit on tubes lately and really don't need these anyways but I am curious.
confused.gif

The plates are round but the mica can be oval or round so they could certainly be the real thing.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #7,880 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
I emailed the guy to see if he was willing to mail them (as opposed to UPS) and he said he has more pairs. Has anyone with the appropriate knowledge/experience taken a look at them that knows if they are the genuine article or not? When I got my oval mica TSRPs I was under the impression that they were the real thing but they can't be actual TSRPs if they are oval right? Anyways it would be nice to resolve this chrome dome thing, to know if they are really Bad Boys or not before proceeding as I have spent quit a bit on tubes lately and really don't need these anyways but I am curious.
confused.gif

The plates are round but the mica can be oval or round so they could certainly be the real thing.

Well they sound great, they're not TSOPs at least so that's good 
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:55 PM Post #7,881 of 42,298
Are there any WooAudio owners near York, PA? 
I'm listening to a Sherwood tube FM tuner through an Hhb 830 BurnIt Plus on a set of Beyerdyamics DT880s and the sound is really good.
I've never had a dedicated headphone amp but have wanted to get one for quite some time.
I would really like to compare the Hhb headphone output to a WooAudio amp to see if the difference is worth going for.
Also, for these DT880s and AKG 701s, I guess that the WooAudio 3 wouldn't be suitable and that I would need the 6?
Thank you in advance,
Steve Ford

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:07 AM Post #7,882 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:
Quote:
Who was looking for Bad Boys here?  These just came up on A'gon.  I have no connection whatsoever to the seller and could not recommend them specifically, but seem to recall someone recently mentioning they were having a hard time finding some.

There are a few of us looking for them, myself included. Thanks for the tip. I've looked at those particular tubes before and FWIW, they do not meet the strict definition of Bad Boy AFAIK. They look like chrome dome to me. I'm basing this opinion on some info that Skylab and others more knowledgeable than me have posted here in the past.
I also might be completely wrong about this
confused_face(1).gif

Well they are sold already, did someone here buy them?

I went to the page to take a  look, and they were sold on day 0!

confused.gif

Grokit,

You have raised a really interesting question.  I looked it up on Wikipedia, and from what I read, the plate is different than the mica.  It says that the plate is a piece of metal inside of the tube and has a positive charge which draws electrons from the filament or cathode which has a negative charge.  It says the plate is not heated.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vacuum_tube

The article does not talk about the mica, but at http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kcQc1DhCa1cJ:www.indiamart.com/company/1486270/products.html+vacuum+tubes+mica&cd=12&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us they explain what a mica is about halfway down the page and they are used to hold tube elements in position.

So, whether a Tung-sol NOS 6NS7GT has round or oval micas is, I think, different from the plates.

I have pairs of both round and oval mica's, and the round mica's, in my experience, have breakin times of at least 60 hours before the tube settles down, the oval mica's on the other hand, seemed to me to be very smooth initially with subtle changes occurring over breakin.  Also, I found that the round mica TSRP's are much richer, more dynamic and holographic than the oval mica's.

So, from my limited perspective (please someone jump in here if I am wrong), your oval mica TSRP's are the real deal.

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #7,883 of 42,298
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it! I guess that means those round micas I got from you are close to broken in then. They already sound very nice, especially in the lows and mids. I will report back if I hear any difference (or not) when I switch back to the ovals after that in a week or two. 

Of course the EML is still breaking in the whole tiime...
blink.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM Post #7,884 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks Mike, I appreciate it! I guess that means those round micas I got from you are close to broken in then. They already sound very nice, especially in the lows and mids. I will report back if I hear any difference (or not) when I switch back to the ovals after that in a week or two. 

Of course the EML is still breaking in the whole tiime...
blink.gif

Yes, those guys are at the end of break in.  Glad they sound so nice.  Definately please post impressions.

Jan 16, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #7,885 of 42,298
I have been missing such a lot for so long I can't tell you how made up I am. My listening pleasure thanks to the Coaxial over the Toslink has stepped up a considerable notch.

I have a Coaxial on order but as it was the Wifes birthday yesterday we went out (Ice Skating & Shopping) and I couldn't resit picking up a Coaxial cable from a Maplin store to try. Oh, man it's a huge difference, even having just a fews minutes in the afternoon to listen I could tell it was much, much better. I couldn't listen last night coz it was late when we got back so I have a couple of hours set aside this evening and can't wait to try my favourites, it's gonna be like discovering them all over again. Thanks guys (especially Jax) :)

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7,886 of 42,298

Quote:
I have been missing such a lot for so long I can't tell you how made up I am. My listening pleasure thanks to the Coaxial over the Toslink has stepped up a considerable notch.

I have a Coaxial on order but as it was the Wifes birthday yesterday we went out (Ice Skating & Shopping) and I couldn't resit picking up a Coaxial cable from a Maplin store to try. Oh, man it's a huge difference, even having just a fews minutes in the afternoon to listen I could tell it was much, much better. I couldn't listen last night coz it was late when we got back so I have a couple of hours set aside this evening and can't wait to try my favourites, it's gonna be like discovering them all over again. Thanks guys (especially Jax) :)

Great to hear that it made a significant difference, Spud. That's certainly been my experience with the Touch and with several other components I've tried that in as well.  I don't know if it is necessarily a rule, but I have yet to find the exception among components I've owned.  Coaxial has consistently sounded better than optical (toslink). Given that both are supposedly just delivering zeros and ones, it is difficult to conceive why one would be superior to the other.  I am no engineer, but my ears tell me that is the case without any doubt at all.

Jan 17, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #7,887 of 42,298
The only answer I could postulate would be a difference in jitter.  Digital audio transmission is not my strongest subject, but I think the question to ask is if both optical and coax are driven by the same master clock and whether or not electrical grounding/interference is a factor on the coax side (since it cannot conceivably affect the optical).

My DAC has one of each and I've traditionally used the optical for the computer and the coax for the dedicated CD player.  I previously found the coax to be slightly better, primarily due to less grain or harshness in the highs and when I replaced that older Denon cd changer with a Little Dot CD transport I felt this became even more true.  That would seem to reinforce the jitter theory, but I always figured if there is any truth about the things said on the subject of interference in digital signals a PC case would definitely be the environment to cause it so I just felt that getting the source signal outside of the PC was what was making the difference, not the the fact that the digital connection type was different.  Both my PC and my CD transport have both optical and coax so I could actually test this now that I think about it, but the instrument that is the human ear seems to vary far more than our gear does from day to day so I don't trust myself to come to trustworthy conclusions.

The Woo smoothed out the treble and upper mids in my system so much that I no longer think about the subject anymore.  It used to be a major issue since grainy highs were ruining my ability to listen to headphones so anything that offered a bit of relief was welcome.  I still haven't used my SS amp at all since I got the Woo, because I'm instantly reminded of how frustrated I was with the setup every time I try.

Jan 17, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #7,888 of 42,298
Just got my shipping notice today. Only 6.5 days business days after putting in my order for my new WA2.

Should be here by Thursday. So far I am very impressed with the service from Woo Audio.
smile.gif

Jan 17, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #7,889 of 42,298

Quote:
Just got my shipping notice today. Only 6.5 days business days after putting in my order for my new WA2.

Should be here by Thursday. So far I am very impressed with the service from Woo Audio.
smile.gif

Woo has great service. Since last Canjam when I met Jack I have crossed many email with him. First about the configuration for my WA5-LE and then about NOS tubes for each type (power, driver and rectifier) and he always respond fast and very attentinve.
It is a company with great quality from their products to their customer support.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 17, 2011 at 5:11 PM Post #7,890 of 42,298
Hi All.  When my WA22 shows up (suppose to be shipping this week), I'll spend time letting it burn-in on my Anthem D1.  In February, I plan on purchasing the Oppo 95 Blu-ray player and connecting it directly into the WA22 via XLR. I'm assuming this will work because the WA22 has a volume control (pre-amp). I should also be able to steam musice from my NAS using the Oppo 95. I'm not concerned about steaming music from the internet, as I'll use my laptop and other headphones.  My question is, will a DAC (i.e. W4S DAC-2) add any value if I put it between the WA22 and Oppo 95? Does this should right, or am I on the wrong track. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back