Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 14, 2011 at 2:56 PM Post #7,846 of 42,298

Quote:
Well the Squeezebox came and I have spent the past 2 days being a bit anal about music libraries etc and have had a good clean up of my pc so the Squeezebox has all the right info in all the right places. Not quite as straight forward to set up as I had hoped but I'm there now.

Jax - ''ipeng'' is going to be invaluable to me especially with the TrackStat plugin enabled. Many thanks for the nod on that as I really love the interface.

I'm also suitably impressed with the audio quality, it's nice when something exceeds your expectations.... My Woo6 has never sounded so good
beerchug.gif

Are you using the Touch's DAC or an external DAC?

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #7,848 of 42,298

Quote:
Optical into a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic..... The more I listen the more impressed I am. I'm giving the BGRP's an airing tonigh :)

In my experience to two different DACs the coaxial digital output does sound better.  You might want to try that option and see if it's the same for you.  Glad to hear iPeng is working out for you.  I'll have to check out that plugin.  I like having the interface on my phone, but am not really fond of their user-interface, though it's the best I know of otherwise. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #7,849 of 42,298

Quote:
In my experience to two different DACs the coaxial digital output does sound better.  You might want to try that option and see if it's the same for you.  Glad to hear iPeng is working out for you.  I'll have to check out that plugin.  I like having the interface on my phone, but am not really fond of their user-interface, though it's the best I know of otherwise. 

X2, it happens to my current DAC and few previous DACs including Dacmagic.

Jan 14, 2011 at 3:55 PM Post #7,850 of 42,298
BTW - a heads up to anyone interested: I may be stepping out of the Woo owners club soon and putting my WA6SEm on the market so keep an eye peeled on the FS listings if that interests you.  I moved to a smaller office space and the footprint and vertical space are just sadly needed for other things (my powered monitors aren't helping that).  I may have to go to the dark side and pair down to SS for a more compact form factor and no vulnerable tubes.  Since headphones are not really a priority for me (I know, heresy) this is no big deal, but I will certainly miss that intimate SET presentation.  I will post here when I put up an ad. Feel free to PM me if you have interest. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:34 PM Post #7,851 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Optical into a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic..... The more I listen the more impressed I am. I'm giving the BGRP's an airing tonight :)

I'm not at all familiar with Coaxial is there different qualities? I'm a believer in quality cables making a difference....

Jan 14, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #7,852 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Optical into a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic..... The more I listen the more impressed I am. I'm giving the BGRP's an airing tonight :)

I'm not at all familiar with Coaxial is there different qualities? I'm a believer in quality cables making a difference....

Coaxial is simply the RCA digital output on the SB Touch (directly next to where you've plugged in your toslink cable).  It would require using an RCA to RCA (assuming your DAC has RCA digital input which is very likely) digital cable (not the same as a standard interconnect).  I won't start a discussion on cables here, but IMHO you don't need to go nuts on buying coaxial digital cable.  The difference between using the Toslink you are using and a good basic coaxial cable will be greater than spending $80 on a coaxial cable vs spending $300 on a coaxial cable....at least in my experience.  A lot of folks would argue the insanity of the latter as well, but again, that's for another thread.  I've had good luck with Stereovox and Kimber digital cables, which I buy on the used market.  I'm using inexpensive Canare on one of my two Touch players and it definitively sounds better than a glass toslink.  That is of course not the only factor involved, but I think it's worth trying on your system to see what works best since the potential difference may be great.

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #7,853 of 42,298
Thanks again Jax, man I'm a drain on your experience..... Not until you move into new areas that you realise that you are still a noobie haha.

Ok, for now I've got a Belkin Pure AV on order and I'm quite exited if it could be better than Toslink coz this already sounds mighty fine too me.

I love my WA6 sooooo much!

Jan 14, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #7,855 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks again Jax, man I'm a drain on your experience..... Not until you move into new areas that you realise that you are still a noobie haha.

Ok, for now I've got a Belkin Pure AV on order and I'm quite exited if it could be better than Toslink coz this already sounds mighty fine too me.

I love my WA6 sooooo much!

No sweat - happy to help.  Let us know how the comparison goes. 

Jack does know what he's doing, doesn't he?!  I've been living with the WA6SEm for over a year now and have tried many cans with it, and have to say it is certainly among the best amps I've heard, as are several of his other designs.  Just great stuff - I can't imagine going wrong with any of them short of a gross mismatch in specific components. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:25 PM Post #7,856 of 42,298
X2, I am quite satisfied with their digital coax cables and they are great to deal with.

Quote:
Spud, check out www.bluejeanscable.com. I have very good experience with their cables. All my speaker cables and HT are from bluejeanscable.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:04 PM Post #7,858 of 42,298
x3 --- I've tried the Touch into both of my DACs (w4s DAC2 and PS Audio DL3).  Coaxial connection was the best for both.  Use iPeng occasionally.  Usually just use the included remote if I can see the Touch screen.

Quote:
Quote:

X2, it happens to my current DAC and few previous DACs including Dacmagic.

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:15 PM Post #7,859 of 42,298
I'm actually about to order my 3rd Touch.  If you go to the logitech website and register any product you have from them they will send you a 20% discount.  Actually they don't even ask for a serial number or receipt.  Just want to get your name and email so they can send marketing material your way probably.  Took 1 minute to register.  Another good site for cables is 

www.monoprice.com - I have some of their cables and can't tell the difference between them and the bluejeans cables I have.  Both are good but monoprice is quite a bit cheaper.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:19 PM Post #7,860 of 42,298
Spud - you might also want to give ethernet (instead of wireless) a try if you have not already.  Obviously your computer/library needs to be within the length of the ethernet cable to your SB Touch to do this.  In my experience with both the Touch, the SB3 and the SB Transporter you should get slightly better performance. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back