Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 13, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #7,833 of 42,298
Everyone should check out the Stereophile CES coverage on their website.  It's the first page you open.  There are so many beautiful tube amps.  Huge amps.

Jan 13, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #7,834 of 42,298
My LCD2's shipped today! Yay.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #7,835 of 42,298

Quote:
Thank you very much, H-Addict.
I think I have to better replace either the cable... Cardas?

Quote:
I would consider getting a pair of Sylvania VT-231 or Bad Boys to bring out the highs with either the HD650 or LCD-2.

Cables will help, but always focus on source and amp first, and tubes will make a bigger difference than cables.  I did a review a while back of the APS V3 HD600 cable vs stock HD650 and HD600 cables (using an HD600), and the jump in sound quality going from HD600 cable to HD650 cable was bigger than the jump from HD650 cable to APS v3.  There was no doubt the APS V3 was the most transparent and detailed, but I would focus on the right tubes and source first.  Cables are usually my last tweak.

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:58 AM Post #7,837 of 42,298

Quote:

In Summary:
Fedex=UPS > Fedex Ground=UPS Ground > Blind deaf monkey > The neighbor kid who just ain't right > Fedex Home Delivery.

Rare footage of FedexHome delivery crew in action:

Jan 14, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #7,839 of 42,298
Jan 14, 2011 at 9:06 AM Post #7,840 of 42,298
George at TubesUSA is a pleasure to deal with - and very responsive via email. I had mine enquired about, ordered, paid for, and shipped in about an hour. And it arrived the next day (though I am located nearby).

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:23 AM Post #7,842 of 42,298
I have not been able to find any 6SN7GT Sylvania Bad Boys, at least none that meet the strict definition anyway. So I am trying some Sylvania 7N7 (1951) production.
I have auditioned this WA22 / EML 5U4G / Sylvania 7236 / Sylvania 7N7 (with Glenn's adapter) combo for only about one hour, but I have to say that the 7N7 are terrific with my HD800 hp, right out of the box.

Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM Post #7,843 of 42,298

Quote:
Quote:
Does anyone know where I can order an EML 5U4G without a wait?

www.tubesUSA.com

Paypal address for George Lenz:  glenz10183@aol.com

I just talked to George a couple of days ago, he's going on vacation right now and won't be back till the end of the month. I'm on his email list to purchase one when he gets back. 

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:13 PM Post #7,844 of 42,298

Quote:
You might also want to consider downloading the iPeng app for your iPod Touch - it is a more comprehensive sofware to manage your Squeezebox from your iPod.  I have not, however, found it to be very intuitive, but certainly more powerful than using Remote.  Not only can you use your iTunes library via a Squeezebox Touch, but you can simultaneously access a secondary folder with FLAC files if you want to try some high-rez music.  The Touch is capable of streaming up to 24/96 files via wireless or Ethernet.  It may be a good time to download Squeezeserver and become acquainted with the interface.  This is the software you will use to control any Squeeze devices, and that will access your music library.  To use the iTunes Library, first go to your Settings window (button is at the lower left in the main window).  Choose the iTunes tab, and check the box at the top that says "Use iTunes".  This tells SB to look at your iTunes folder for your library info.  Then go back to the "Basic Settings" tab and look for the line that says "Music Folder" - this is where you will indicate the OTHER folder that contains music files that iTunes cannot manage (FLAC for instance).  Viola - you are on your way to a more comprehensive library.  Then go to HDTracks and download a free sampler of hi-rez music and play a few cuts and see if it's something you think is worth the $.  You may not. If not, you won't have to deal with a second folder of music. 

Have fun with your SB Touch. 

Well the Squeezebox came and I have spent the past 2 days being a bit anal about music libraries etc and have had a good clean up of my pc so the Squeezebox has all the right info in all the right places. Not quite as straight forward to set up as I had hoped but I'm there now.

Jax - ''ipeng'' is going to be invaluable to me especially with the TrackStat plugin enabled. Many thanks for the nod on that as I really love the interface.

I'm also suitably impressed with the audio quality, it's nice when something exceeds your expectations.... My Woo6 has never sounded so good
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2011 at 1:38 PM Post #7,845 of 42,298
Side topic.  I can't figure out how to add what gear you use to the bottom of your posts.  Help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back