Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 18, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #7,906 of 42,298

Quote:
OK - inbound Woo alert! Got the shipping notice today that my WA2 is on its way. In a fit of complete financial irresponsibility (that my wife doesn't know about yet) i ended up ordering a new DAC (Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2) as well as ordering a PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator! This all better sound fantastic or I'm really going to be depressed
normal_smile%20.gif

The DAC decision was really hard - thanks (I think) to WindyCityCy for kicking me over the edge with his endorsement of the W4S.

jc has a DAC2 as well and I'm ordering mine before the end of the month.  Let us know how it all sounds!!

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #7,907 of 42,298
Would someone please tell me how to attach equipment details (what you own) to the bottom of the window you post in.  Thanks!

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7,909 of 42,298
You will be in audio heaven.  Congrats on your fine gear.  Hope your wife is understanding 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
Quote:
OK - inbound Woo alert! Got the shipping notice today that my WA2 is on its way. In a fit of complete financial irresponsibility (that my wife doesn't know about yet) i ended up ordering a new DAC (Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2) as well as ordering a PS Audio Power Plant Premier AC regenerator! This all better sound fantastic or I'm really going to be depressed
normal_smile%20.gif

The DAC decision was really hard - thanks (I think) to WindyCityCy for kicking me over the edge with his endorsement of the W4S.

jc has a DAC2 as well and I'm ordering mine before the end of the month.  Let us know how it all sounds!!

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #7,910 of 42,298

Quote:
normal_smile%20.gif

I can see you 'neak into the home with the kit or discretely descend the hall with the kaboodle. All without your wife's knowledge, mind you. But the kit & the kaboodle?! Wouldn't that be akin to betting the house, on what's in the house? Woo Audio purchases have been known to embolden...

With your current setup, how do you like the Mac mini/Apogee Duet combo? I was thinking about that combo fronting my WA6SE later this Spring. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #7,912 of 42,298

Quote:
Mike -

I had 2 EMLs die.  I even sent my amp back to Jack because I thought something was wrong.  Both that died were of the old body-style.  The first lasted about as long as yours 2-3 months.  The second lasted about a month.  I got one of the new body-style EMLs and it has been going strong for 2-3 months.  There must be some reason they changed the EML 5U4G and I'm guessing it was due to premature failures.  I am very happy with the EML I have now.  What body-style do you have?

Quote:
Quote:
How old was your EML (hours used)?  You should be asking Jack if the voltage going to the EML is not too great.  Dan Wright adjusted this on my Modwright Transporter since others were seeing their EMLs die an early death.

The EML is around three months old, so it's not very old.  I am sure Jack is busy, so hopefully he'll get to me soon.

Thing is, I have not seen any posts here about EML's dieing in WA22's.  What have you heard?  Does the Transporter use the EML 5U4G?

Thanks.

I don't know what style I have.  How do I tell?  Did you get your EML from Jack?  He has not answered my email yet, but I am sure he must have a stack of other emails to answer first.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #7,913 of 42,298
I don't know what style I have.  How do I tell?  Did you get your EML from Jack?  He has not answered my email yet, but I am sure he must have a stack of other emails to answer first.

The old style was much larger; new style smaller, more svelte. Earlier posts w/pix here could let you compare. 

Also, very sorry to hear about your experience. I know you'll get it sorted out and it will merely be an inconvenience. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #7,914 of 42,298
Bear in mind I have no real basis of comparison other than the HRT Music Streamer II+ I briefly tried, and I am using an RSA HR-2 amp until the Woo gets here. That said, I think the Duet is a very musical DAC. Probably not the most revealing, transparent, extended or having the most precise or expansive soundstage, but it sounds like music. Short of DIY, it is probably the most musical solution under $500 even if it isn't the most impressive from a HiFi attributes standpoint. 

With my Mini (40 GB SSD for OS/apps, 8 GB RAM, all un necessary service disabled, external bus powered 2.5" HDD for music) and Amarra 2.1.1 and Pure Music 1.72a and the Duet, I think I am at least equivalent to my old Rega Planet 2000 I sold. I am sure with the DAC-2 I will blow right past that standard. It is quite analog sounding.

Let me know when you get ready to do something, I might sell you one of my Duets (I have another one I use on my music rig - a Mac Pro).

Quote:
With your current setup, how do you like the Mac mini/Apogee Duet combo? I was thinking about that combo fronting my WA6SE later this Spring. 

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #7,916 of 42,298

Quote:
Bear in mind I have no real basis of comparison other than the HRT Music Streamer II+ I briefly tried, and I am using an RSA HR-2 amp until the Woo gets here. That said, I think the Duet is a very musical DAC. Probably not the most revealing, transparent, extended or having the most precise or expansive soundstage, but it sounds like music. Short of DIY, it is probably the most musical solution under $500 even if it isn't the most impressive from a HiFi attributes standpoint. 

With my Mini (40 GB SSD for OS/apps, 8 GB RAM, all un necessary service disabled, external bus powered 2.5" HDD for music) and Amarra 2.1.1 and Pure Music 1.72a and the Duet, I think I am at least equivalent to my old Rega Planet 2000 I sold. I am sure with the DAC-2 I will blow right past that standard. It is quite analog sounding.

Let me know when you get ready to do something, I might sell you one of my Duets (I have another one I use on my music rig - a Mac Pro).

Quote:

To date: 8 GB RAM for the mini coming Wednesday from OWC. Have Pure Music 1.72a; Firewire HDD and unnecessary services disabled. Also, looking at 40 GB SSD possibly next month. Did you add the RAM & SSD one at a time or at once? How would you determine each of their improvements individually from stock? Small, moderate or huge gain?
Thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #7,918 of 42,298
I got the Mini - plugged it in to make sure everything was working and then immediately ripped it apart to install the SSD and RAM. So I'm not much help there? The SSD install was not for the weak hearted. The only things I didn't have out were the PS and DVD drive. I recommend puting the HDD on whatever bus you are not using for the DAC. Since the Duet is FW, I have the OWC Al-Pro mini on USB. I will move it to FW when I get the Wyred4Sound which is USB (or Toslink).

Quote:
To date: 8 GB RAM for the mini coming Wednesday from OWC. Have Pure Music 1.72a; Firewire HDD and unnecessary services disabled. Also, looking at 40 GB SSD possibly next month. Did you add the RAM & SSD one at a time or at once? How would you determine each of their improvements individually from stock? Small, moderate or huge gain?
Thanks.

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:43 PM Post #7,919 of 42,298
yeah, if she's not there is always our Airstream trailer in the back yard 
eek.gif
 At least the headphone rig will fit - it's all about priorities.

Quote:
You will be in audio heaven.  Congrats on your fine gear.  Hope your wife is understanding 
biggrin.gif

Jan 18, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #7,920 of 42,298

Quote:

The old style was much larger; new style smaller, more svelte. Earlier posts w/pix here could let you compare. 

Also, very sorry to hear about your experience. I know you'll get it sorted out and it will merely an inconvenience. 

I am wondering if there are actually three different versions: 

The first one was the larger one; much more square with silver top. 

Then the "redesign" was, as you mentioned, smaller and more rounded but with a clear top; these are the type that sillysally had but one of those failed in his WA5. 

I was going to order a pair from George at TubesUSA.com and I specifically asked him if I would be receiving the newer version with clear top and he said EML is constantly "refining" (changing) the design for the better. 

The reason I bring this up is that I remember mikemalter's pictures of when he received his EML and it looked like the top was again silver?

In any event I am very curious myself about the longevity of the EML rectifiers, this is usually the type of tube that can often run for several thousand hours or more. I had a pair of 1958 McIntosh MC60s' that had their original Tung-Sol 5U4G's and they still tested within spec although all the other tubes needed to be replaced.

I am not implying that Jack runs this tube hard but you do have to pay very close attention to the value of the first cap in the power supply or premature failure will occur as per EML's datasheet, though I'm sure he has long ago worked this out.

The EML tubes carry a one year warranty and Jack is a very stand up guy to say the least so I'm sure he will make things right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back