Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 4, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #30,361 of 42,299
I told my Wife after I purchased the W5LE. I told her I had a life threatening disease and it was my last wish. Forgiveness is easy to ask for, permission is not.

I'm not sure how the BHSE will top it but for now I'm enjoying some of the best headfi I've ever heard every day..

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #30,362 of 42,299
I'm not sure how the BHSE will top it but for now I'm enjoying some of the best headfi I've ever heard every day..

The BHSE is an electro-static amp for driving Stax headphones like the SR-007/009...the WA5LE is a traditional headphone amp...two very different things. 
smile.gif

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:51 PM Post #30,363 of 42,299

Are you using the WEE with WA5 to drive your SR009 now? If so, any impression/comments?

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #30,364 of 42,299

Are you using the WEE with WA5 to drive your SR009 now? If so, any impression/comments?

The BHSE should "smoke" the WEE / WA5 combination. The latter is a patch work for stats (and does at best an ok job...I've heard the WEE with a few speaker amps). But the BHSE should be one of the top 2 or 3 amps for your SR009s (along with the T2 and KGSSHV).

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #30,365 of 42,299
The BHSE is an electro-static amp for driving Stax headphones like the SR-007/009...the WA5LE is a traditional headphone amp...two very different things. :smile:

I know. But WA5 (not the LE) is also a speaker amp which I use to drive my SR009 through the Woo WEE. I don't know if I am the only person here doing this but I have seen some drive the 009 out of speaker amps.

Haven't been using normal headphones on the amp(as in ones that can be sufficiently driven by any headphone amp) in a while, driving HE6 and 009 mainly on a daily basis..:wink:

Jul 4, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #30,366 of 42,299
I know. But WA5 (not the LE) is also a speaker amp which I use to drive my SR009 through the Woo WEE. I don't know if I am the only person here doing this but I have seen some drive the 009 out of speaker amps.

Haven't been using normal headphones on the amp(as in ones that can be sufficiently driven by any headphone amp) in a while, driving HE6 and 009 mainly on a daily basis..
wink.gif

I just realized that after kkcc's comments. You can read my thoughts on the improvements above...you should really love the BHSE/SR009s! 

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:03 PM Post #30,367 of 42,299

The BHSE should "smoke" the WEE / WA5 combination. The latter is a patch work for stats (and does at best an ok job...I've heard the WEE with a few speaker amps). But the BHSE should be one of the top 2 or 3 amps for your SR009s (along with the T2 and KGSSHV).

I think it is excellent but I haven't heard the BHSE yet so can't comment. I suppose the best thing about the WA5 and WEE combo is an infinite amount of tube rolling. My WA5 and WEE combo plus premium tubes costs as much as a BHSE and sounds exquisite. It makes the SR009 sound organic and without the "technical" or "clinical" nature of the headphone that some people don't like about the 009.

I think the BHSE is designed to bring the best out of the Staxes and will retrieve a great deal more detail. I plan to keep both and use both for my system, because I can enjoy new music on Spotify with the WA5 & 009 without strangling myself over the poor quality of the recording.

The WEE is not necessarily a patchwork product compared to any specifically designed electrostatic amp though what you say is likely to be true vis-a-vis the BHSE. It depends on what speaker amp you use it with. I can confidently say the 009 became a completely better headphone with the WA5 compared to the Stax SRM007ta it came shipped with. That was one lousy amp.

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #30,368 of 42,299
I think it is excellent but I haven't heard the BHSE yet so can't comment. I suppose the best thing about the WA5 and WEE combo is an infinite amount of tube rolling. My WA5 and WEE combo plus premium tubes costs as much as a BHSE and sounds exquisite. It makes the SR009 sound organic and without the "technical" or "clinical" nature of the headphone that some people don't like about the 009.

I think the BHSE is designed to bring the best out of the Staxes and will retrieve a great deal more detail. I plan to keep both and use both for my system, because I can enjoy new music on Spotify with the WA5 & 009 without strangling myself over the poor quality of the recording.

The WEE is not necessarily a patchwork product compared to any specifically designed electrostatic amp though what you say is likely to be true vis-a-vis the BHSE. It depends on what speaker amp you use it with. I can confidently say the 009 became a completely better headphone with the WA5 compared to the Stax SRM007ta it came shipped with. That was one lousy amp.

I've heard the WEE with some real top flight speaker amps (McIntosh, Krell) and I always considered it a great short fix to listen to Stax headphones, but never a long term solution (thus my patchwork arguments). The BHSE will blow your mind in comparison. The absolute best I've heard any Stax headphones was from a friend's T2...that was something special indeed!

Agreed on the SRM007a...funny I preferred the SRM727II to it. I hear very good things about the GES though for "bang for your buck performance".

Jul 4, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #30,369 of 42,299

I've heard the WEE with some real top flight speaker amps (McIntosh, Krell) and I always considered it a great short fix to listen to Stax headphones, but never a long term solution (thus my patchwork arguments). The BHSE will blow your mind in comparison. The absolute best I've heard any Stax headphones was from a friend's T2...that was something special indeed!

Agreed on the SRM007a...funny I preferred the SRM727II to it. I hear very good things about the GES though for "bang for your buck performance".

Thanks for those impressions, I am looking into buying a second hand KGSS too, in fact. 

The only thing I don't like about the BHSE is surprise surprise... the looong wait.

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:15 PM Post #30,370 of 42,299
Wondering which Woo amp you think would be the best for HD800, Wa6SE or Wa2. Based on what I have read so far I am thinking the Wa2 is probably going to be the better amp for that headphone?

Jul 5, 2014 at 1:39 PM Post #30,371 of 42,299
Wondering which Woo amp you think would be the best for HD800, Wa6SE or Wa2. Based on what I have read so far I am thinking the Wa2 is probably going to be the better amp for that headphone?

For HD800 only, go with WA2.

Jul 5, 2014 at 2:21 PM Post #30,372 of 42,299
For HD800 only, go with WA2.

WA2

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #30,375 of 42,299
Well if Dubstep Girl says its the Wa2,  then it's the Wa2
regular_smile%20.gif

Thanks for all the input.

Her opinion was part of the equation that led me to get mine.

Btw gec 6as7g + bugle boys + brimar are incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back