1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by dannie01, Jun 9, 2009.
  1. Stealer

Still waiting to audition the wa22 (unit still not back from upgrade),

Which of the the above is suitable for Beyer T1 & Hifiman he560 headphones?
    Genres are Classic Rocks, New Age, Jazz and a little of Classical.
    Or any suggested combo tubes to narrow down my search...
    Greatly appreciated....

PS - wouldn't mind having various sets if tubes for different headphones and genres... Hope this will narrow down the option.

2. Dubstep Girl
     any of those great rectifiers suits the T1 well. U52, Cossor, and 422A... TS 5998 power tubes for sure, 6F8G, ken rad, or brimars.

3. mach5
    Just got my Woo Audio WA5-LE with all of the Woo Audio trimmings.  My setup is the WA5-LE, with: 

Sophia Royal Princess 300B power tubes,
    Premium Parts Upgrade,
    Teflon Sockets throughout,
    Sylvania 6SN7GT Drivers and
    General Electric GZ34 rectifier tubes.  

OK.  Listening via Audeze LCD-3 headphones.  Basically, I bought whatever Jack at Woo Audio had for sale and the results have been phenomenal.  

After some false starts with the available Sophia Princess Mesh Plate 274B rectifier tubes (two consecutive pairs arced in the glass, blowing the power supply fuse, and forcing a trip to Radio Shack for replacement fuses!), and a pair of uneven Sylvania drivers, Jack turned me onto the GE GZ34s and the Sylvanias which are all working fine.  Probably a bummer for Jack to handle a total of three returns, but he rallied and came through for me and was further a pleasure to do business with.   Incidentally, the stock Shuguang and Raytheon tubes were stable and reliable.  Anyway, the setup with the GEs and the Sylvanias is wonderful. Lots of separation, clarity, and ample-plus-pleasing bass.

I'd post a picture but I don't have rights yet.  

NZ

4. OldSkool

Along with everyone else...WA2 with HD800. Surprisingly, my LCD2.3 sounds great, as well.

My current favorite tube combo is TS5998, RFT EZ80, Mullard CV2493.

DeskRig.jpg

5. Justin_Time

Yeah, while the Royal Princesses 300B work wonderfully for me, the Princess 274B arced a couple of times in my WA5.

Took the 3A slow-blow fuse with them but what beautiful fireworks!

I'll be looking for the GE now. Thanks!

6. bonesnv

Congrats on the new amp, hope the fuses quit poppin for yah and you can start to really listen and enjoy it, everyone says the WA5 is one hell of an amp.

Do you feel the Royal Princess' were worth the investment?

7. bonesnv

I love my T1's with the 596/6FD7's in my WA6-SE, no harsh treble as some have described them having and relatively clean bass, but I will be interested to see how everything goes together with the new driver/power tubes when my WA22 gets here.  Planning on using the 596 with TS5998/6F8G combination, so hopefully not a change for the worse by any means.

I want to get a WE422 at some point but the only ones I can find are matched pairs and nobody seems to want to split them up unfortunately and just don't want to spend that kind of money for two, then have to try and sell one.  Still looking daily for that single to pop up somewhere, or a pair of 421's, but will see.  

EDIT:  After my ranting about not finding a single and only pairs, actually had some good communications with a guy and have one now on the way.  See, ranting does work! lol  [​IMG]

8. amham Contributor
    I had the same experience with my WA-22.  The Princess 274B blew and the replacement also (taking out the fuse requiring a quick trip to Radio Shack) .  In addition the $330/pair 6S7NGT and 7236's were very noisy.  However, Jack stood behind everything in addition to Sue at Sophia Electric.  Jack replaced all tubes and also followed-up later with an email inquirying if all was OK.  I suggest that Woo tighten up on their testing of the very expensive optional tubes to make the high price worth it.  At the current prices I would think twice.   

9. kkcc

I had better experience with the upgrade tubes from Woo.  All worked perfectly fine and not microphonic at all.  Tho the label/markings condition on the tubes themselves were very poor for the price they charged.  I still opted for buying from them despite the high price purely for the aftersales service should I need them as I did got burnt for buying some claimed NOS matched pairs that actually gave me 2 to even 3 db difference between the left and right channels that I need to do split eq to use them.

10. HiFiGuy528

We're glad everything is sorted out now and the amp is singing nicely.  Thank you for sharing your #WooAudioStories here on Head-Fi.  

11. mach5
    Yes.  I mean I haven't much to compare them to, except to the stock Shuguangs.  I just felt that given the price of admission, it seemed irrational to not get them.  I mean you don't order a Rolls Royce with burlap upholstery... you get the leather!  :wink: So I am glad that I invested in all of the premium options.  And it does sound just plain marvelous; that's the main thing.
    NZ

12. mach5
    Yes.  I mean I haven't much to compare them to, except to the stock Shuguangs.  I just felt that given the price of admission, it seemed irrational to not get them.  I mean you don't order a Rolls Royce with burlap upholstery... you get the leather!  :wink: So I am glad that I invested in all of the premium options.  And it does sound just plain marvelous; that's the main thing.
    NZ

13. mach5
    This was supposed to go to bonesnv.  Oops, sorry, still learning how to post!!

14. mach5
    You are welcome.  Woo Audio always delivers a stellar product.  This is my second, my first being a WA6-SE which I had for three years.  Nice resale value!  Thanks for that, too!
    NZ

15. GloryUprising

Jack's an upstanding guy, he also took care of me when I had a problem with a bad USAF596