1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by dannie01, Jun 9, 2009.
  1. punit

As per Woo these are not compatible with WA22

2. kazsud
    Yes. Slightly bigger and detailed sounding w/ less color or veil but not as much bass as the Tong Sol 5998.

3. kazsud
    Thanks they are on my list especially the gec 6as7g

4. jc9394

it is hard to find now, good thing i still have a pair...

5. punit

Quote:

Brimar CV 1988 + EML 5U4G (Solid Plate) + GEC 6AS7G

IMG_20140613_181346.jpg

With HD 800  - wide Soundstage with good depth & imaging, smooth extended treble & sweet mids. Bass is not a punchy as TSBGRP & CV 181 but is not weak & has good resolution / texture. Very Nice.

6. jc9394
    Glad you like it. Try to play with the rectifiers, it is more responsive to rectifier than BGRP.

7. Dubstep Girl

+1

that eml is bottlenecking that tube combo, toss it and throw in a U52, metal mullard gz34, or WE 422A to really hear what the WA22 can do [​IMG] 

8. jc9394

Listen to DG, my favorite is the metal base gz34.

Guess what DG? I'm Chi town bound next week, will try to take some pics of Chicago River's bridges.

9. punit
    Does sound better with U52. The EML has slightly more treble extension but U52 soundstage is even wider & sounds more "sweeter" / "emotional". I have noticed this about U52 while rolling it with lot's of different combinations. It has the most "emotional" sound amongst all the rec's I have tried.
    IMG_20140614_000450.jpg

10. lojay
    +1 

The U52 is amazing. Not quite concerned to get the WE 422A or even 274B... yet.

11. Dubstep Girl

omg awesome! 

any chance of making the ChiUniFi meet?

the sweetness/emotional-ness is the reason i love GEC tubes! only the 422A comes close, though I feel like the 422A has a slightly more neutral and more "reference" tube sound, still sweet though.

I've never been a big fan of EML 5U4G, it feels a little too warm (not in a thick kinda way, not in a sweet kinda euphonic way, but rather in a colored kinda way), the treble extends but doesn't seem as good as some of the other good tubes. the bass is kinda lean, and just overall, i feel like it falls way too short on many things, doesn't have that 3D kinda sound it should for the price. the EML 274B is better but not at NOS tube levels. Also, both fall short on transparency.

12. Silent One
    Regarding the EML 5U4G, I simply could not justify its price/performance ratio and quickly sent it packing. Decent glass but not at that price.

13. Redcarmoose

From what I have read and experienced while being into tubes, we have had a slow resurgence in quality manufacturing from about 1999 on. So what was expensive and/or rare has now been replaced with middle priced value tubes. My opinion anyway. Not counting the legendary WE 300bs which were actually priced OK in 1999.

14. jc9394

When and where? I'm arriving Monday night and leaving Friday afternoon.

15. Dubstep Girl
    oh weekend of the 21st