1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by dannie01, Jun 9, 2009.
  1. Frank I
    cool- one of the best ams Jack makes

2. kazsud

Yup
    Can't wait to acquire some tubes.
    Doesn't sound harsh at all like the stock ones I heard a while ago.

3. magiccabbage
    See if you can get some GEC 6As7g's with amperex bugle boys - supposed to be amazing with HD800! Never got to try it myself and i don't think I will take the plunge before I sell mine. 

4. magiccabbage
    Kazud - Do you own a Stratus? 

5. Clayton SF
    I think that the best amp I've heard in the WooWorld has to be the WA4. That's my current bed-side setup. :)
    With Black Gate caps and V-Caps. Yummy!

P1020658.jpg P1010771.jpg
    P1010878.jpg P1010774.jpg

6. joseph69
    That is awesome!!!

P1020658.jpg P1010771.jpg
    P1010878.jpg P1010774.jpg

7. Silent One
    Woo-tastic? [​IMG]

8. punit
    So there is a or used to be a WA4, I used to wonder why they skipped the no.4 in the Woo line up & went from 3 to 5. What kind of amp is it , what tubes, etc ?

9. Nic Rhodes
    http://www.wooaudio.com/products/wa4.html

10. Dubstep Girl
    they only made a few WA4 didn't they?

11. kazsud

Nope only heard it.

12. lojay

Funny, I think I have a noisy pair of Tungsol BGRP that is quite microphonic. I can't hear it with the HE6 (K1K out) or SR009 (Speaker out). But it becomes quite apparent when I use the HD800 with the high impedance out.

Quote:

Important question that would really help me: do you think it is better than the Stratus you've heard? How about some other top flight amps? 

I think I agree with your observations but I have not had a chance to listen to other amps in the same price range. I think the WA5 is very transparent but I do not know if it is the last word for resolution or imaging.  

What I do know is that with the U52 + Sophia Royal Princess 300Bs, the soundstage is as wide as it can be. It becomes a touch wider if I swap out the Tungsol BGRPs for the Sylvania 6SN7GTW, sacrificing bass response and airiness at the top end. I can't imagine my HD800s possibly sounding any wider than that. It is already completely out of my head. It even seems unnatural on some tracks. I did find the soundstage to be rather small when I had my stock 300Bs and rectifiers. So small that the WA5 sounded unimpressive - just a bit better than my Little Dot MkIV (for at least 6x the price). No kidding.

I still think the bass quantity is lacking compared to say the HE6 driven by the EF 6. Or maybe that was bass bloom I was experiencing? But it is very tight and controlled, plenty of slam with the HE6, and picks up the low notes extremely well.

Btw I haven't listened to the HD800 and HE6 much these days. The SR009 + WA5 combo is really supreme. 

13. magiccabbage
    You mean Wes? Oh I see you have an converter for WA5, whats that like with 009?

I don't think she has heard she Stratus yet. 

14. Dubstep Girl

15. jc9394

DG on a roll again?