Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 30, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #30,183 of 42,298
Started my work morning today listening to Friday Night in San Francisco, trying to do some reports.

These words here and maybe one or two other sentence are all I have been able to actually accomplish since I got here and hit play.  The sound on this thing just gets better and better the more it all burns in.  I feel like I am sitting in a chair right next to the them listening to them play.  

It's really making me want to look at a WA5 for home, although every time I see that 300B amp on Glenn's thread, my intrigue factor goes up just a bit more.  That amp is so clean looking and I'm a sucker for functionally designed simplicity.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread and the others who have given advice for all this stuff, ya'll put in a lot of effort to write up everything you have so that people new to this like myself have a very good starting point of reference.  Getting to hear music, like I haven't in a very very long time.

May 30, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #30,184 of 42,298
  Started my work morning today listening to Friday Night in San Francisco, trying to do some reports.

These words here and maybe one or two other sentence are all I have been able to actually accomplish since I got here and hit play.  The sound on this thing just gets better and better the more it all burns in.  I feel like I am sitting in a chair right next to the them listening to them play.  

It's really making me want to look at a WA5 for home, although every time I see that 300B amp on Glenn's thread, my intrigue factor goes up just a bit more.  That amp is so clean looking and I'm a sucker for functionally designed simplicity.

Thanks again to everyone in this thread and the others who have given advice for all this stuff, ya'll put in a lot of effort to write up everything you have so that people new to this like myself have a very good starting point of reference.  Getting to hear music, like I haven't in a very very long time.

I'm sure Glenn's amps are built to a high standard, but Woo's builds are off the charts, IMHO.  At least it is for the lowly WA6 that I own.

May 30, 2014 at 1:27 PM Post #30,185 of 42,298
  I'm sure Glenn's amps are built to a high standard, but Woo's builds are off the charts, IMHO.  At least it is for the lowly WA6 that I own.

I too am a lowly WA6 owner. The struggle against upgradeyetis is a daily battle. Listening to good music seems to quell the symptoms most of the time. Waiting on the delivery of the Mighty 596.

May 30, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #30,186 of 42,298

I too am a lowly WA6 owner. The struggle against upgradeyetis is a daily battle. Listening to good music seems to quell the symptoms most of the time. Waiting on the delivery of the Mighty 596.

I don't think you'll be disappointed and besides, it has great bling.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #30,187 of 42,298

The woo's are sexier in a way but the insides of the Glenn amps are where the real business is done. Glenn only uses the best of parts - for example - Lundahl transformers in the 300b amps he makes are the best you can get. 

Dubstep girl and diminches both live in Chicago they shoot do a shoot out between the Glenn 300b and WA5  ¬

Would be pretty cool! One hell of a write up. 

May 30, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #30,188 of 42,298

The woo's are sexier in a way but the insides of the Glenn amps are where the real business is done. Glenn only uses the best of parts - for example - Lundahl transformers in the 300b amps he makes are the best you can get. 

Dubstep girl and diminches both live in Chicago they shoot do a shoot out between the Glenn 300b and WA5  ¬

No doubt.  

Perhaps Glenn makes a really fine all-tube $700 HP amp like the WA6.  Yes?

That would be even more interesting for me since I can't afford the "best".

May 30, 2014 at 2:36 PM Post #30,189 of 42,298
  No doubt.  

Perhaps Glenn makes a really fine all-tube $700 HP amp like the WA6.  Yes?

That would be even more interesting for me since I can't afford the "best".

well he makes An OTL cheaper than the WA2 but more versatile and  some prefer its sound to the WA2. 

Glenn will make any kind of customized amp if asked nicely and if he isn't too busy. Im sure he could accommodate you. It helps though if you know what you want or their abouts. He can advise you on tube combo's. 

Ask on the Glenn thread about the versatility of the Glenn OTL. It will drive most headphones including planars. 

I don't want to de-rail this thread so i will stop talking about glenn amps. PM me if you want. 

May 30, 2014 at 6:43 PM Post #30,190 of 42,298

yes!!

May 30, 2014 at 8:48 PM Post #30,191 of 42,298

dminches lives on the East Coast near Philadelphia....That is a bit of a drive for a shoot out....
wink.gif

May 30, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #30,192 of 42,298
  dminches lives on the East Coast near Philadelphia....That is a bit of a drive for a shoot out....
wink.gif

HaHa - how did I think he lived in Chicago? I must of got him mixed up with Skylab. Oops  
redface.gif

May 30, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #30,193 of 42,298

wink.gif

HaHa - how did I think he lived in Chicago? I must of got him mixed up with Skylab. Oops  
redface.gif

Indeed...I actually had a nice get together with both of them at Axpona in April. dminches came in for the show and we spent some time talking audio. Good times!

May 31, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #30,194 of 42,298
Hi All

I'm waiting for the manufacture and delivery of my WA5-LE (with the premium bits).  I'm going to be using a digital only front end, so I'm looking at the following DAC's:

- Chord Hugo
- NAD M51
- Benchmark DAC2 L

Do any of you have experience with any of these DAC's and their synergy (or not) with the WA5's?  The only one of these DAC's in New Zealand is the NAD M51, if I buy any of the others, I'll be buying blind.

If it's more appropriate to ask this question in a different thread, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers - Peter

May 31, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #30,195 of 42,298
Hi All

I'm waiting for the manufacture and delivery of my WA5-LE (with the premium bits).  I'm going to be using a digital only front end, so I'm looking at the following DAC's:

- Chord Hugo
- NAD M51
- Benchmark DAC2 L

Do any of you have experience with any of these DAC's and their synergy (or not) with the WA5's?  The only one of these DAC's in New Zealand is the NAD M51, if I buy any of the others, I'll be buying blind.

If it's more appropriate to ask this question in a different thread, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers - Peter
There's only one answer if your wallet can stand the assault. It's the Chord Hugo for sure. I've seen it, held it, and listened to it. In a word, amazing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back