Upgrade recommendations from Westone 4?
Sep 13, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #16 of 59
Quote:
Hello folks,

Just wondering, if you were upgrading from a Westone4, what would you go for ? and why ?

I was toying with the idea of the Grado GR10, the Audeo Phonak 232 or the Shure 535, maybe not as an upgrade, but more for a different sound signature.

Thanks for your input !

Really depends what sound you are looking for.  I, personally, prefer SQ of SE535 over W4 but many would not.  I've owned both and think GR10 destroys W4 in virtually every criteria (treble, midrange, soundstage) except maybe a slight nod to bass on W4.

Sep 13, 2012 at 7:25 PM Post #17 of 59
Quote:
I use the black silicon middle-size, it fits me perfectly. W4 is one piece of beast in it's own way. Though I do have to say that if W4's bass can be as deep and powerful as on JH13 than it would be perfect, I personally do not like the overly bright highs on ES5.

I should really try some more silicone tips. Although I did find the grey flex tips included to have a tad more bass emphasis than I would like. The Sony Hybrids sound really nice, I should get another pair of those. Currently using the Shure Olives, so it has more of a veil than usual (Even then, there still seems to be something clouding the sound), but its the most balanced of them all.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the W4 vs the ES5. Hard to find people who own both.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #18 of 59
Quote:
If that's the case, I assume either ur W4 is faulty or the 334 is much better than customs like JH13 and ES5

I don't owned JH13 or ES5 but I have try demo unit of both and I can say that 334 is some where on par or slightly better than both.  To Go 334 is universal IEM but everything inside is actually come from FitEar flagship CIEM MH334.  They just put their CIEM into universal shell. With the price tag around 1,400$, I can ensure you that 334 can compete fairly with JH13 or ES5.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #20 of 59
Quote:
I should really try some more silicone tips. Although I did find the grey flex tips included to have a tad more bass emphasis than I would like. The Sony Hybrids sound really nice, I should get another pair of those. Currently using the Shure Olives, so it has more of a veil than usual (Even then, there still seems to be something clouding the sound), but its the most balanced of them all.

Not to hijack this thread, but I'd really like to hear your thoughts on the W4 vs the ES5. Hard to find people who own both.

Like I said, the ES5 is nothing like W4. A direct upgrade from W4 would be the JH13, no doubt. 

ES5 has tremendous amount of upper-mid to high range emphasize compare to the more flat W4 (with a bit recessed highs I would say). This means, they are much more energetic and bright than the W4, and the JH13, marginally. The high end extension, however, are comparable, if not better on W4(I might be wrong because the upper-mid emphasize of es5 may cover part of it's highs just like what's happening on IE8's lows covering miss).

The bass texture on ES5 is better than W4, no doubt, which give much more clear bass, but quantity and impact wise they are about even, W4's bass might be a bit punchier even.

Mids on ES5 are much more emphasized and vocals are closer to your face than on the W4, which makes the ES5's sound stage not as wide as W4 (there are people disagreeing with me on that but I tell what I hear, I hate to be biased towards the more  high-end products).

Overall, ES5 is more revealing and energetic, which means the sound signature is so different from W4 that W4 can totally shine in its own way when compete with the ES5. However, JH13 owns W4 almost in every aspect by a small margin besides vocals.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:18 AM Post #21 of 59
Quote:
Like I said, the ES5 is nothing like W4. A direct upgrade from W4 would be the JH13, no doubt. 

ES5 has tremendous amount of upper-mid to high range emphasize compare to the more flat W4 (with a bit recessed highs I would say). This means, they are much more energetic and bright than the W4, and the JH13, marginally. The high end extension, however, are comparable, if not better on W4(I might be wrong because the upper-mid emphasize of es5 may cover part of it's highs just like what's happening on IE8's lows covering miss).

The bass texture on ES5 is better than W4, no doubt, which give much more clear bass, but quantity and impact wise they are about even, W4's bass might be a bit punchier even.

Mids on ES5 are much more emphasized and vocals are closer to your face than on the W4, which makes the ES5's sound stage not as wide as W4 (there are people disagreeing with me on that but I tell what I hear, I hate to be biased towards the more  high-end products).

Overall, ES5 is more revealing and energetic, which means the sound signature is so different from W4 that W4 can totally shine in its own way when compete with the ES5. However, JH13 owns W4 almost in every aspect by a small margin besides vocals.

Huh, suddenly the ES5 seems all the less appealing. Maybe I should stick to my plan and reshell the W4s into customs. The JH13s also look very enticing ATM.

Sep 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #22 of 59
Quote:
Huh, suddenly the ES5 seems all the less appealing. Maybe I should stick to my plan and reshell the W4s into customs. The JH13s also look very enticing ATM.

ES5 is energetic and bright in a good way, and some people just want more exciting sound. But it is definitely not as perfect as somebody stated in their posts. It might simply because that it is the only CIEM they have and since they spent so much on it, there might even be an emotional connection to it. Works the same way as the added social value on the commodities. If you prefer more dark sounding then yes I would say a custom shell to bring up the bass a little bit on the W4 would work better.

Oct 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #24 of 59
Quote:
FitEar To Go! 334 will blow your mind (and your pocket too).

Owned both W4 and 334. I can say that it's a big upgrade in term of sound quality, resolution, and details.

I could not agree more, having both myself.

Nov 9, 2012 at 6:13 AM Post #28 of 59
Quote:
+1 w4 and togo 334... there is just no comparison.. huge huge sound quality improvement..

The Togo really is hard on the pocket though. Would you guys happen to know what midground there is between the W4 and the Togo?

Nov 9, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #29 of 59
Are there any measurements that show this "Togo" as superior to Westone 4?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back