The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009 at 2:15 AM Post #10,771 of 24,807
Just took apart my lambda, the dust cover has cracks in it, what would a suitable replacement be?

edit: I think it is called the dust shield from the reading I have been doing.

edit 2: mylar? How important is this stuff..

edit 3: Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try here for 6um stuff and here is some 3.5um film. They are in Australia but they have the thinnest film I know about online and their coating material is pretty good. I've bought from them and the shipping is fast with no problems at all.

If this is my only option I will look into it, anyone have any others? How important is the tensioning and does anyone have suggestions for glue to use?

May 4, 2009 at 2:23 AM Post #10,772 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by gjkphd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I decided to explore the world of electro statics a few months ago to compliment my grado/ATH--Yammie set up. I started with the Koss ESP-950 and paired it with a Stax 717 SS amp. This combo did not do it for me. The Koss sounded dead (vs. lively) with little punch and very weak bass. So before I give up on the electrostatics could you recommend a Stax phone to try, esp one that mates well with the 717, which I have held on to. (I listen to mostly classic rock and jazz)

thanks

Though they aren't as detailed as the O2s, I like my Lambda Nova Signatures.

May 4, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #10,773 of 24,807
Quote:

I decided to explore the world of electro statics a few months ago to compliment my grado/ATH--Yammie set up. I started with the Koss ESP-950 and paired it with a Stax 717 SS amp. This combo did not do it for me. The Koss sounded dead (vs. lively) with little punch and very weak bass. So before I give up on the electrostatics could you recommend a Stax phone to try, esp one that mates well with the 717, which I have held on to. (I listen to mostly classic rock and jazz)

thanks

I have heard the ESP950 and properly amped they sound great. I have not heard the SRM-717 but everything I have heard says it is a great amp and that it's the only Stax brand amp that can drive the SR-007 Mk1 decently. So, I have to wonder if something else is awry, like the music files, source (DAC/Transport) or interconnects?

The Lambda Nova Signature is a good suggestion, and you may also like the Lambda Signature, but I would stay away from the Lambda Pro due to it's sucked out mids. I thought the vintage normal bias SR-Lambda sounded better than the Pro. If you can afford it maybe you should go for the SR-007, but keep the 717 for sure (as long as it is functioning well). You certainly wont have any trouble selling the 717 if you decide to part with it, as they are highly sought after (sorry guys). If you cant find an SR-007 Mk1 and have to get the Mk2, be sure to find the "Spritzer ear-pad mod" and do that to fix the overly forward mids.

May 4, 2009 at 4:11 AM Post #10,774 of 24,807
thanks for the input so far. I'm sure the Koss/Stax combo was properly set up. I even bypassed the volume pot on the Stax. Spritzer had suggested this is a cleaner signal path. Are the Lambda Nova Sig and Lambda Sig very old models?

May 4, 2009 at 4:25 AM Post #10,775 of 24,807
Quote:

thanks for the input so far. I'm sure the Koss/Stax combo was properly set up. I even bypassed the volume pot on the Stax. Spritzer had suggested this is a cleaner signal path. Are the Lambda Nova Sig and Lambda Sig very old models?

I am also interested in this. I thought the lambda nova signature and lambda signature were the same. oh so confusing.

May 4, 2009 at 4:31 AM Post #10,776 of 24,807
I answered my own question--this is sampled from Wikipedia with dates of initial release

SR-Lambda Signature 1987 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-Alpha Pro Excellent 1989 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-80 Pro 1989 Electret
SR-30 pro 1989 Electret
SR-Lambda Pro Classic 1993 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-Omega 1993 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-Lambda Nova Basic 1994 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-Lambda Nova Classic 1994 Pro, 5 Pin
SR-Lambda Nova Signature 1994 Pro, 5 Pin

May 4, 2009 at 4:32 AM Post #10,777 of 24,807
I haven't heard the 950 with the 717. However, the 717 is a fairly laid-back and polite amp, and if you mate it with a laid-back and polite source the combo can sound lacking in dynamic range - especially if you're coming from a dynamic system that is punchy and bassy. Electrostatics can be punchy and bassy but you do need some work and the right components to get them there.

The O2 is a good suggestion but I don't know if it will be more punchy than the 950 in your current system (though once again I haven't heard the 950 so I can't say for sure). I had an Cambridge Audio 840c player with the O2/717 and the system did sound very polite on a lot of recordings. It had dynamic range but I can easily see how, if I were a Grado fan for instance, I would have thought it dull. However on other recordings it came alive, and was filled with dynamics, color, and life. With a Resolution Audio Opus 21 player, the dynamic range picked up quite a bit, and the system became much more vivid, though there were some problems in other areas which the 840c didn't have. So, if you want to pursue the 950/717 system further, it may make sense to take it to a high-end dealer and audition some sources simply to get a feel for how the system changes when you change out the source.

'Stats in general are very revealing, and will expose flaws in your signal path that you never knew were there.

A SRD-7 Pro transformer box, mated with a good speaker amp, can make a 'stat system very lively, but you will sacrifice some microdetail. The O2 does in general need a lot more power than the transformer box can give it - so you will end up with less than stellar bass control and slightly recessed highs. Once again, I don't know how the 950 will behave.

I haven't heard any aftermarket amps past the 717 with a few exceptions that were less than stellar, so I'll leave them out for now.

It could also simply be that you prefer dynamic headphones and want more bass punch and dynamic range than what a lot of 'stats can deliver. You can get serious bass punch and dynamic range out of a lot of 'stats (especially O2) but it's not as simple as just picking any old amp and source, and you will need a signal path that's tuned for that particular presentation. The 717 is a great amp but giant bass punch is not its strong suit. You may want to read up on the Blue Hawaii or the KGSS.

[Edit: also the 950 needs 600v bias vs 580v that the 717 outputs, and that may contribute to lacking dynamics. Also, there could of course be any number of problems with the system but I don't have the technical skills to guess as to what.]

May 4, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #10,778 of 24,807
Quote:

You can't make an adapter from Koss to Stax without hooking the 6core input cable up directly to the drivers first. The Koss phones have a ground connection so plugging them into a Stax amp will have some interesting results. The - stators are driven at a diminished capacity or even at 0v (can't remeber
redface.gif
)) so the phones are operating in push-pull mode but with limited backwave.

Does the ESP/7 suffer from the same design issues as the ESP/9 in this regard?

May 4, 2009 at 5:40 AM Post #10,779 of 24,807
Yes, it could be that my preference is for a dynamic system over stats. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the set up. My source is a Lector tube CD through a VAC tube preamp and I use the same brand of IC's throughout the system. I still want to satisfy my curiosity by trying another electrostatic phone. Is the 02 a very old model, it wasn't listed in the Wikipedia list of stax phones. Is it 0 like zero or is that an O as in Omega model?

May 4, 2009 at 8:20 AM Post #10,780 of 24,807
Quote:

Yes, it could be that my preference is for a dynamic system over stats. I'm sure there was nothing wrong with the set up. My source is a Lector tube CD through a VAC tube preamp and I use the same brand of IC's throughout the system. I still want to satisfy my curiosity by trying another electrostatic phone. Is the 02 a very old model, it wasn't listed in the Wikipedia list of stax phones. Is it 0 like zero or is that an O as in Omega model?

By "O2" I mean the Stax SR-007 Omega 2. It was introduced in 1998, and was discontinued in 2007 (I think) in favor of the SR-007 Mk2 (SR-007a in Japan), which I think is inferior (though still a good headphone). The original SR-007 (which we sometimes call the O2 Mk1) is usually available used at $1400 or so, and you should be mindful that the pads usually don't last very long since the foam inside them starts to deform, so if you get a used O2, get new pads right away. The Mk2 pads are slightly different in shape and original pads are preferred. Also the fit with the O2 matters a great deal, and the pads can rotate on the earcup and be worn in a variety of different positions. They have a "D" shape with the vertical part of the "D" being thicker, and I prefer to have that part in the position that's right between below the ear and behind the ear - but you'll have to play around to get the best fit for yourself. The headband can be bent mercilessly to apply however much clamping force you need.

I think this is the best headphone ever made but of course it will not be to everyone's preferences. It has a very neutral sound with a lifelike tone, great detail but detail that's very naturally presented, is very fluid and organic sounding, has a lot of weight and heft behind each note, and has some of the best imaging I've heard in a headphone with a very 3-dimensional soundstage.

There's plenty of info out there about the O2, check it out for yourself. Specifically, there's a review published by Darth Nut that really describes the O2 down to a tee and should be mandatory reading (found in PDF format here).

It's very difficult to drive but the 717 will do reasonably well, it's what I use in my system. The Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition and the new Woo Audio electrostatic amp (don't have a name or final price yet but it's coming soon) should be substantial upgrades over the 717 if you feel like going that way, but they won't be cheap.

Of course, the O2 isn't the only good 'stat out there and my preferences for it are just that... preferences.

May 4, 2009 at 8:53 AM Post #10,781 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just took apart my lambda, the dust cover has cracks in it, what would a suitable replacement be?

edit: I think it is called the dust shield from the reading I have been doing.

edit 2: mylar? How important is this stuff..

edit 3:

If this is my only option I will look into it, anyone have any others? How important is the tensioning and does anyone have suggestions for glue to use?

The easiest way to fix the dustcover it just to cover the cracks with tape. Any clear tape will do but the cheaper (also lighter) the better. The bond will be very strong so don't make any mistakes.

If you want to replace it then I use polyurethane glue and mylar but just about any plastic film will do. It's thickness will have an impact on the sound though so thinner is better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does the ESP/7 suffer from the same design issues as the ESP/9 in this regard?

The basic design is the same so yes.

May 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM Post #10,782 of 24,807
Quote:

thanks

I find the 950/717 a great combo for classic rock and jazz. The Lambda series has more bite in the upper midrange that you may like. The Lambda Nova Signature and Lambda Signature are good choices. The O2mk1 is my top choice for any type of music and is a good mate with the 717. The O2 is so refined that some people don’t give them a chance find them dark and heavy sounding. The O2 also demands the best source and cables. Because the 950/717 is such a great rock and jazz setup and you are not happy with them I think that electrostatics may not be for you. Many classic rock recordings are so compressed and poorly produced that a punchy less resolving dynamic may be the better choice.

May 4, 2009 at 2:25 PM Post #10,783 of 24,807
I must agree with audiod.

Coming from the Grado RS-1 when I compared it to the stock ESP-950 I felt as I was taken because the 650$ stock Koss was so superior to the 750$ RS-1 and the 850$ RKV II or the Corda Prehead. So I decided to go the Stax route and I bought the 717 and srd7 and tried them with the Sigma, Omega2, and Omicron (SR-003) and then I felt taken again. So if Koss does not sound better to you than Grado's don't bother trying any Stax or Jade for that matter. And the above is with one of the most aggressive sources on earth that can actually damage your equipment if you are not careful.

May 4, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10,784 of 24,807
I have a few questions:

1)I can adjust the bias to my custom made srd7 to 600V. Could I try the Omega2 or Omicron at that higher bias or I run the risk to damage the phones.

2)I have taken apart my Sigma and removed the white foam that had started to deteriorate and threw it away planing to replace it with new material. Now I cannot find this material in my hometown. Can any of you tell me where to source the appropriate material or sell me the stuff?

3)Now that I am at it should I re-cable or replace the drivers with 404 one's?

May 4, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #10,785 of 24,807
Quote:

The easiest way to fix the dustcover it just to cover the cracks with tape. Any clear tape will do but the cheaper (also lighter) the better. The bond will be very strong so don't make any mistakes.

If you want to replace it then I use polyurethane glue and mylar but just about any plastic film will do. It's thickness will have an impact on the sound though so thinner is better.

Spritzer, do the dust-covers have to be airtight? This means the covers get moved by the diaphragm - and affect/slow down its movement. Besides their mass their tension will play a role, too. Wouldn't it be a better idea to have something like a textile cover that lets the air pass through with as little resistance as possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back