The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2009 at 6:51 AM Post #10,758 of 24,807
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #10,759 of 24,807
Nah, I have one 'working' E/9 and one gutted E/9.

and i hate my vintage koss 'stats. Which makes me wonder why i bought an esp6 even after i knew i hated my esp9.

(my esp9 does not work properly. it may or may not work properly if i recable it. I no longer care.)

May 3, 2009 at 10:18 AM Post #10,761 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, SOMEBODY, who shall remain nameless (you know who you are!), wants me to make him an ESP/7 to Stax Low Bias adapter.

He says he has a minty fresh ESP/7 with no energizer, and that he believes that the pinout was the same as the ESP/9.

Pleading with him to just rewire them in the earcups proved fruitless.

I recall having seen the ESP/9 pinout on headwize back in the day, but headwize is down and the relevant pages don't seem to be in google's cache.

Anybody got it handy?

You can't make an adapter from Koss to Stax without hooking the 6core input cable up directly to the drivers first. The Koss phones have a ground connection so plugging them into a Stax amp will have some interesting results. The - stators are driven at a diminished capacity or even at 0v (can't remeber
redface.gif
)) so the phones are operating in push-pull mode but with limited backwave.

May 3, 2009 at 10:39 AM Post #10,762 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone summarize the recable options for a sr lambda? Mega search didn't find anything promissing..

Germania recabled a set of lambdas with silver plated copper wire rated for 600v. I suppose your options consist of recabling using whatever you can find wire wise that you like and is rated to a high enough voltage.

The alternative would be to use a modern spares stax cable from a 404 and terminating with a normal bias plug. The normal bias plug uses a single bias connection whereas the pro has two but this wont make any difference as long as your plugging into a 230v bias and not 580.

May 3, 2009 at 2:12 PM Post #10,763 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oublie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The normal bias plug uses a single bias connection whereas the pro has two but this wont make any difference as long as your plugging into a 230v bias and not 580.

It's the other way around. The best option is to replace the cable with a SR-202 unit since they are identical except for the missing pin. That could always be retrofitted with some epoxy.

May 3, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #10,764 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm, so it went for 1.5K

(I know you guys were watching too)

That was a deal - 2 prominent pro phones, 2 good low bias phones, a tube amp, a portable amp and a low bias adpter. I was tempted but didn't need any of the phones, or any more phones. If this lot had been broken up or properly identifed in the heading it could have gone a lot higher.

Even now every now and again you can get a decent buy on ebay.

May 3, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #10,765 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah, I have one 'working' E/9 and one gutted E/9.

and i hate my vintage koss 'stats. Which makes me wonder why i bought an esp6 even after i knew i hated my esp9.

(my esp9 does not work properly. it may or may not work properly if i recable it. I no longer care.)

I like both my old ESP6 and ESP9. I find them very listenable with a wide variety of music and a good match with my Radio Shack Sherwood amp. The 6 has a more prominent midrange than the 9. The 9 in my opinion needs a midrange boost but is otherwise a better phone.

If you need a half-way decent fully sealed electrostatic these are a good buy, generally less than $100.00 on ebay. However they often need cleaning up. My ESP6 wouldn't run much at all l when I first got them but now are pretty close to original operation (I owned one way back when)

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/kos...tatics-234504/

Their main sonic weakness is a lack of air/ambience. I wonder if this could be improved with some re-wiring, especially of the 9's energizer?

One of these days I must try to again to run my extra 9 phones from a Stax amp.

May 3, 2009 at 8:00 PM Post #10,766 of 24,807
one note on the vintage Koss: as far as I can tell from my recabled ESP10, these old phones requires a tremendous amount of power to drive well, you might want to stick with using transformer boxes (well unless you can try them with a BH or something).

The 950, though by itself can be considered as "difficult to push", is actually an easier load than the ESP10.

May 3, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #10,767 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil' Knight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the point in recabling the Lambdas? The cable sucks?

the opposite problem actually. its a really nice cord. But mine has a faulty connection on one side. something is happening right at the base of the cans. a broken wire maybe. Replacing it with a probias 202 cable seems the correct way to go, but NO ONE could give me a straight answer on getting one. I tried a long time, to no avail. so I'll wait till the inevitable.

spritzer, if this cord actually fails on my lambdas at the point of entry, could I just cut the cord before the faulty part and resolder? no one has mentioned that option. a whole new cord for one little area seems like overkill. thoughts? what dont I know?

May 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM Post #10,769 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by spritzer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's the other way around. ....

Yeah I knew that I was just testing to make sure you were all paying attention
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2009 at 1:48 AM Post #10,770 of 24,807
I decided to explore the world of electro statics a few months ago to compliment my grado/ATH--Yammie set up. I started with the Koss ESP-950 and paired it with a Stax 717 SS amp. This combo did not do it for me. The Koss sounded dead (vs. lively) with little punch and very weak bass. So before I give up on the electrostatics could you recommend a Stax phone to try, esp one that mates well with the 717, which I have held on to. (I listen to mostly classic rock and jazz)

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back