The Stax thread (New)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 1, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #10,741 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some interesting phones currently on ebay.

Stax SRM T1 Tube Headphone Amp and 2-Adaptors - eBay (item 290313432191 end time May-02-09 23:22:35 PDT)

Yes, an excellent and interesting combination of amps and phones - provided they all are working well of course
wink_face.gif

(BTW, I fixed up the typo in the original link - the above should now work).

Quote:

So basically you are claiming your mods turned a piece of rubbish into a class act?

I think it is very misleading to call the basic portable amp rubbish. I have seen lots of satisfied comments about this set-up in these forums.

O.k., enough already.

Anybody who has looked at the history of the portable amp Stax provided with its 001 Mk2 would be aware that there are in fact two different opamps used throughout the release.

One opamp, after burn in, sounds more than decent (though still not as good as even a FatCat mod).

The other opamp is a significantly poorer performer and I could understand someone being so disappointed as to consider it 'rubbish' on first listen (I don't know how much it improves with burn in but even the burned in one I had was an insult to the potential of the phones themselves).

More detail in the first few pages of the Mod thread - http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/sta...thread-277049/

Quote:

It may sound somewhat better with mods or a bigger amp but it doesn't scale up like the lambdas do and I can't see anyone buying a big amp for the sole purpose of running the 003 better.

I must admit I've never compared the relative scaling up ability of these two phones. However the 001 Mk2 does definitely improve when fed by a better amp IMHO. Maybe not as much as the Lambda (although I've never tried running a Lambda with the portable amp
tongue.gif
) but it definitely improves.

Quote:

Not to be totally disagreeable, I do agree about the merits of the 717. So why are the subsequent Stax transistor amps not as well-regarded? What did Stax do to compromise their sound?

I think this was discussed in a little detail in this thread when the 727 was released and first tried by some HeadFi-ers. Might be worth doing a thread search.

May 1, 2009 at 3:54 AM Post #10,742 of 24,807
"Enough already"????

OK but don't then argue your point of view. That is like arguing with my wife. Always wants the last word.

I see the listing is now corrected. There is a Sigma pro and a Signature. I wonder why the link didn't work, I just used the copy feature.

If this lot of phones goes for less than $2K it would be a bargain.

Is the SRMT1 worth getting? The Stax tube amps have a lot of critics in this forum.

May 1, 2009 at 5:28 AM Post #10,743 of 24,807
Quote:

"Enough already"????

OK but don't then argue your point of view. That is like arguing with my wife. Always wants the last word.

In all my dictionaries the last word is zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. And that's generally the one my wife claims I give her when the argument goes on too long.
tongue.gif

Quote:

I see the listing is now corrected. There is a Sigma pro and a Signature. I wonder why the link didn't work, I just used the copy feature.

I don't know how it happened but the link started with 'hthttp:' - don't know where the extra 'ht' came from.

Quote:

If this lot of phones goes for less than $2K it would be a bargain.

Is the SRMT1 worth getting? The Stax tube amps have a lot of critics in this forum.

My machine that can see into the future shows 17 potential futures where it all goes for well less than $2K. But, alas, they're all the potential futures that don't have 'Head-Fi' in them.
very_evil_smiley.gif

And, yes, although you may want to tuberoll, the SRM-T1 is a very capable amp (Can often wish I hadn't sold mine) - spritzer did a Han Solo ("I've made a lot of special modifications myself") on his and enjoyed it for quite a good period of time IIRC.

May 1, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #10,744 of 24,807
Quote:

Looks like a Sigma, Sigma Pro (the black one, which the seller doesn't identify as such) a SR5 and what the seller calls an Alpha but which looks like a Lambda, possibly a Signature or 404/Signature.

The seller seems to think the SRM T1 amp is the prize, but I think the money is in the phones.

it is easy to convince people about the amps' functionality, while quite hard to be certain about the phones, unless they are in mint condition. Especially when the person who claimed "all item are in good working condition" also called the Lambda-looking phone an "Alpha".

I'd guess it will go for maybe 1.2~1.4k? can still be a pretty good deal though.

May 1, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #10,745 of 24,807
Quote:

Not to be totally disagreeable, I do agree about the merits of the 717. So why are the subsequent Stax transistor amps not as well-regarded? What did Stax do to compromise their sound?

Stax messed with the circuitry to remove the negative feedback and since it just can't be removed they had to redesign the whole amp. It makes no sense to me but some people have a pathological hatred of NFB to it might make those idiots happy. The sound has certainly suffered.

May 3, 2009 at 12:05 AM Post #10,746 of 24,807
Well, SOMEBODY, who shall remain nameless (you know who you are!), wants me to make him an ESP/7 to Stax Low Bias adapter.

He says he has a minty fresh ESP/7 with no energizer, and that he believes that the pinout was the same as the ESP/9.

Pleading with him to just rewire them in the earcups proved fruitless.

I recall having seen the ESP/9 pinout on headwize back in the day, but headwize is down and the relevant pages don't seem to be in google's cache.

Anybody got it handy?

May 3, 2009 at 1:54 AM Post #10,748 of 24,807
It is !
biggrin.gif

May 3, 2009 at 2:29 AM Post #10,749 of 24,807
E/7 is 360V bias, with two bias supplie lines, and inner stator wires are tied together to the speaker amp's ground (which is a good thing, so there is no way you can get zapped ear-to-ear even if the stator insulation has gone bad).

Not sure if the drivers are hardwired to have common inner stator too. If it is, then there is no way you can mate it to a Stax amp/box without total re-wiring of the drivers.

since you don't have a E/7, the easiest way to drive the ESP7 is by dropping the bias voltages in a E/9 .

May 3, 2009 at 4:17 AM Post #10,752 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone summarize the recable options for a sr lambda? Mega search didn't find anything promissing..

I went through this Search as well. It produced no promising results. Luckily my lambda started working. No IDEa why. I do expect to have to recable at some point though. Sucks

May 3, 2009 at 5:43 AM Post #10,754 of 24,807
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E/7 is 360V bias, with two bias supplie lines, and inner stator wires are tied together to the speaker amp's ground (which is a good thing, so there is no way you can get zapped ear-to-ear even if the stator insulation has gone bad).

Not sure if the drivers are hardwired to have common inner stator too. If it is, then there is no way you can mate it to a Stax amp/box without total re-wiring of the drivers.

since you don't have a E/7, the easiest way to drive the ESP7 is by dropping the bias voltages in a E/9 .

You make interesting points.

Perhaps i should just offer to rewire it, since an E/7 in good condition is unlikely to turn up anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back