The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #3,466 of 19,652

Yes, but have you seen how many people keep asking FiiO to share their code with RB to hasten the porting?

True, but those people need to learn to be patient.

It basically reads loudness metadata from the ID3 tags to 'normalize' whatever song you're playing (mostly useful for shuffle play) to a standard loudness value so that the loudness level you set on your player is consistent across various songs.
Simply speaking you don't have to adjust the volume constantly between different songs.

Right ok.

Guess it isn't that useful for someone like me though, I mainly listen to mixes.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:34 AM Post #3,467 of 19,652

True, but those people need to learn to be patient.

Right ok.

Guess it isn't that useful for someone like me though, I mainly listen to mixes.

i grew up listening to records, mainly Tubular Bells.
i'm used to differences in volume, i suppose that's the reason why i don't see the importance of such a feature.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:52 AM Post #3,468 of 19,652

i grew up listening to records, mainly Tubular Bells.
i'm used to differences in volume, i suppose that's the reason why i don't see the importance of such a feature.

I think you may be missing the point of the feature - forgive if I'm wrong. It works like this, suppose you are listening to a recent recording which has been compressed and made as "hot" as possible and then you listen to, say, a 1970s recording which isn't compressed and so has been recorded with reasonable degree of headroom. The recent recording will sound much louder than the older one. RG tags the recordings with its "loudness" level which enables the player to adjust the volume so that the tracks are overall at the same loudness.
The important thing to note, is that the volume is only adjusted *between* tracks, not during them. It just saves you having to constantly adjust your volume depending on the source of the track - it doesn't do any processing of the track - just a once-off analysis of how loud it will sound which the player reads so it can set the correct volume before the track starts playing.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:56 AM Post #3,469 of 19,652
...a good example would be listening to Paul Simon's Graceland album, and then listening to Flying Lotus' Los Angeles album. Graceland sounds muted compared to Los Angeles...but that's because Flying Lotus has a tendency to max everything out. Graceland was recorded the old fashioned way.

Personally, I only listen to albums and never shuffle, so replaygain has never been a thing for me.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:35 AM Post #3,470 of 19,652
If you're a Mac user then use XLD to rip/transcode. Whether album art shows on a non-iDevice depends upon whether it was embedded into the file or whether you used iTunes to add cover art. I'd have to think he microSD cards would mount just fine when you plug in the DAP. I've had zero issues with my AK100 at least

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:41 AM Post #3,471 of 19,652
I like to chime in on RG. Personally, I think it is very useful when you are listening to music and working. Basically, when your music is being used in the background and technically not being "listened" to. On the rare occasion that I shuffle all my tunes, it's annoying to have to keep turning the volume up and down on a device. Especially when a song comes blaring in, and you lose your concentration on whatever it is your doing.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:25 AM Post #3,472 of 19,652
  I think you may be missing the point of the feature - forgive if I'm wrong. It works like this, suppose you are listening to a recent recording which has been compressed and made as "hot" as possible and then you listen to, say, a 1970s recording which isn't compressed and so has been recorded with reasonable degree of headroom. The recent recording will sound much louder than the older one. RG tags the recordings with its "loudness" level which enables the player to adjust the volume so that the tracks are overall at the same loudness.
The important thing to note, is that the volume is only adjusted *between* tracks, not during them. It just saves you having to constantly adjust your volume depending on the source of the track - it doesn't do any processing of the track - just a once-off analysis of how loud it will sound which the player reads so it can set the correct volume before the track starts playing.

Well explained, that's it.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #3,474 of 19,652

oh now i get it.

i thought it would "equalise" allthrough a track.

Jan 22, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #3,475 of 19,652
I would love to see Replay Gain implemented, too. Without it the shuffle function is basically useless to me, because going from Classical straight to Metal...
basshead.gif
  Ouch.

Adjusting the volume of the song at the start after reading the metadata couldn't be too hard to implement, I imagine. (Unless volume is strictly hardware-controlled, but it doesn't look like it is...)

Jan 22, 2014 at 12:04 PM Post #3,476 of 19,652
I made a new X5 demo video!
biggrin.gif

http://youtu.be/bI2zu495TkI

Very useful video. On the Folder selection for playback, the song names had numbers in front of them for order. Is this from the embedded Track Number meta-data, or does it have to be included in song titles?

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:24 PM Post #3,478 of 19,652
  Any estimate on battery life? 

Joe suggested around 9-10 hours.  It's one of the things I will try and test over the weekend.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #3,479 of 19,652
  Any estimate on battery life? 

Joe suggested around 9-10 hours.  It's one of the things I will try and test over the weekend.

I already played continuosly for 7 hours today... Battery indicator is still almost full (not sure how responsive it is) but I'll chime in also. Right now playing mostly FLACs, volume at 70-ish, display brightness in the middle, Shuffle mode through "All Songs".

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #3,480 of 19,652

Users who are viewing this thread

Back