The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 21, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #3,451 of 19,652

Are you implying that normalisation alters the dynamic range of a track?  AFAIK, normalisation doesn't alter the dynamic range but I'm always eager to learn.

You are correct, I should have been more specific, simple normalization doesn't alter the dynamic range of a track and is basically what RG does (Loudness normalization).
What I was referring to is a variant of loudness normalization that includes dynamic range compression.
I altered my initial post.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:00 PM Post #3,452 of 19,652
thank you for explaining,

i'll just keep on turning volume up or down as is necessary.

i still think that RG missing from a player being a dealbreaker is silly.

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #3,453 of 19,652
thank you for explaining,

i'll just keep on turning volume up or down as is necessary.

i still think that RG missing from a player being a dealbreaker is silly.

I tend to agree with you but for people who use shuffle play a lot (never use it) or constantly switch between different tracks it's likely to be more important. But to say...

...is probably a bit much.
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 21, 2014 at 6:57 PM Post #3,454 of 19,652
You know, I would pay good money to see a picture of Tina Fey in some nice headphones, maybe some higher end/custom Grados, and listening to an X5 with that naughty smirk of hers...

Sorry...finding it hard to focus on replaygain now that she's here :wink:

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:09 PM Post #3,455 of 19,652
So, what is the differences between the PCM1792DAC of the X5 and the Sabre ES9018K2M of the DX90. I know they are both implemented differently, but historically, what are the pluses and minuses of each sound sig wise.

Jan 21, 2014 at 7:29 PM Post #3,456 of 19,652
So I noticed he had to select card one or card two when browsing, can someone with one tell me if "all music" shows content in both cards and if "shuffle" in "all music" accesses both cards? or does it only access one card?

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:17 PM Post #3,457 of 19,652
So I noticed he had to select card one or card two when browsing, can someone with one tell me if "all music" shows content in both cards and if "shuffle" in "all music" accesses both cards? or does it only access one card?

All music works off the X5 music database system which accesses all cards. Browse files works on each card's folder structure so of course you have to select a card :)

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #3,459 of 19,652
To Mac users: I admit I didn't read every single page of this thread and I have but one question. To get all my music from my Mac onto an X5, I presume I can't use iTunes, so when I plug in the X5 would it be recognized in the Mac's Finder as a disk drive? Then I presume I just drag and drop my entire music folder onto the X5? Would that include cover art? Thanks.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:11 AM Post #3,460 of 19,652
To Mac users: I admit I didn't read every single page of this thread and I have but one question. To get all my music from my Mac onto an X5, I presume I can't use iTunes, so when I plug in the X5 would it be recognized in the Mac's Finder as a disk drive? Then I presume I just drag and drop my entire music folder onto the X5? Would that include cover art? Thanks.

Why not just pull the card out and insert into the slot in the computer? Unless Macs don't have something like Explorer (no, not the much-derided internet browser). I have all my audio files in a master folder, then by artist, then by album, all properly tagged. Works perfectly on my Galaxy S3 and an X3 I tried at a hi-fi event when I used an older 16gb microSDHC I used to use with my phone (and back up for my camera with an adapter). For some bizarre reason, however, despite the tagging ang inclusion of the jpg files in each folder, FLACPlayer on iOS can't read some of the album art.

Jan 22, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #3,461 of 19,652

if osx support the driver  then yes,it will show up as disk drive, then you can drag you music drive into the drive

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:07 AM Post #3,462 of 19,652
Its not implemented in the X3.

Might be in the future with FW updates though.

There's no replay gain option in the X3, sorry to disappoint.

Edit: LA beat me to it.

Hmm......its a shame that pro DAP doesn't have the very basic feature RG to mass produced (mills/yr) consumer friendly apple ipods which has "sound check" as RG. Thats why with full confident i siad that X5 will have RG just like it predecessor X3......just that blind faith let me down.:mad:

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #3,463 of 19,652

I'm a Mac guy and just bought an X3.  Assuming your music files have good tags, yes you'd be able to navigate to the iTunes folder (either iTunes\Music or iTunes\Media\Music) and drag n drop your music onto a micro SD card or onto the X3's internal storage.  

To enable accurate browsing via both DB and folder browsing, I'd suggest double-checking that any multi-disc albums you've got are separated into folders by disc number.  If you don't do that, you might get all the tracks mashed together as one album in the DB - not sure if the X3 recognizes the Disc # tag and sorts accordingly.  And for sure, the songs will all be lumped together when browsing through your folders.  

If you need good tagging / organization software for the Mac, Media Rage works well.  It costs ~$30.  There are some free apps, but I haven't found them to work as well as Media Rage.

Oh, I've found that the X3 doesn't recognize some of the Album and Artist tags on my Apple Lossless (ALAC) files, so I get the dreaded "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" showing up in my X3's DB.  So I primarily use the file browser option.  I might try using FLAC, but then I'd need to invest time in conversion (via XLD - best app for ripping / converting music files on the Mac) and setting up a new music player (probably Clementine or Vox, although Vox doesn't have its own DB).

Good luck!
Nikolaus

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:51 AM Post #3,464 of 19,652
Dear Nikolaus,

Thank you so much for the very detailed answer.

Cheers.

Jan 22, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #3,465 of 19,652
  Oh, I've found that the X3 doesn't recognize some of the Album and Artist tags on my Apple Lossless (ALAC) files, so I get the dreaded "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" showing up in my X3's DB.  So I primarily use the file browser option.  I might try using FLAC, but then I'd need to invest time in conversion (via XLD - best app for ripping / converting music files on the Mac) and setting up a new music player (probably Clementine or Vox, although Vox doesn't have its own DB).

could you send me one of the files that has its tags not recognised?

i have a lot of ALAC files, but they all do get recognised, so i want to check how they're tagged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back