The Fiio X5 Thread
Jan 22, 2014 at 8:35 PM Post #3,481 of 19,652

I already played continuosly for 7 hours today... Battery indicator is still almost full (not sure how responsive it is) but I'll chime in also. Right now playing mostly FLACs, volume at 70-ish, display brightness in the middle, Shuffle mode through "All Songs".

When you are in Shuffle ALL SONGS mode...can you go into the album the current song is playing and select another one?

I often get songs in a shuffle mode and like to listen to another song on that album on the fly. I've been doing this for years on every DAP I've ever had and don't want to lose that functionality

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:41 PM Post #3,482 of 19,652

When you are in Shuffle ALL SONGS mode...can you go into the album the current song is playing and select another one?

I often get songs in a shuffle mode and like to listen to another song on that album on the fly. I've been doing this for years on every DAP I've ever had and don't want to lose that functionality

I think that going "back" will just get you to the "All Songs" List. You could press the "other" menu button (top left of the rotary thingie) and select Albums but again it will just show you the list of all yiour albums. So I don't think you can do that... but I'm off from memory here. I'll try it and let you know. 

BTW, in all the DAPs I've had, I've never done that so I'm not even sure if I could ever do that! LOL

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:55 PM Post #3,483 of 19,652

I already played continuosly for 7 hours today... Battery indicator is still almost full (not sure how responsive it is) but I'll chime in also. Right now playing mostly FLACs, volume at 70-ish, display brightness in the middle, Shuffle mode through "All Songs".

That's encouraging. 9-10 hours would not be good.

I think 15 hours is a good lower end target for a DAP. That covers the longest non-stop flight you can have (NY to Asia as far as I know) with a little to spare till you find an outlet.

Jan 22, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #3,484 of 19,652

I think 15 hours is a good lower end target for a DAP. That covers the longest non-stop flight you can have (NY to Asia as far as I know) with a little to spare till you find an outlet.

That's one reason I like the removable battery in the DX50 - can pop in the spare if the primary runs out.

Jan 22, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,485 of 19,652

Agreed.
Both the X3 and AK100 MK2 do 15+ hours easily.
Let's see how this one does but remembr, this is not the Production X5 for all I know more battery life can be squeezed in the end.

Jan 23, 2014 at 12:01 AM Post #3,486 of 19,652
X5 is in the house.

I bought this on Amazon China and for the standard RMB 2098 price the seller included a SansDisk 30MB/s 8 GB  MicroSDHC card. Mind you, at least one person on here got a t-shirt with their Taobao purchase but I'll take the card (especially since I can pretty much guarantee that any t-shirt distributed in China wouldn't fit my substantial Canadian frame). They also included some comply-like tips. Do not ask me why. It's the mystery gift! lastly, I got a DVD which I expect may be the USB DAC software.

I am really impressed with the packaging which is Apple quality and then some. This is a serious commercial product. The accessories are also great. I especially like that it came with a screen saver already attached plus two extra. There are also pins to protect the 3.5mm jacks in case you do not use the silicon case which already has jack protection (for example for use with an external amp and dual-lock).

My initial impressions on the device is that it is solid and beautifully made. If I have any concern, it might be the long-term durability of the scroll wheel but that is based on nothing in particular but for it being a moving part. I will give it the benefit of the doubt unless and until there is a problem. The action on the wheel is nice and smooth with light clicks that you feel but do not hear.

That is all for now as the X5 is charging and I am  loading music onto a new Samsung 64GB microSDXC UHA-1 which I also just received. I am using the included MicroSD card reader - another nice accessory - and formatted the card for NTFS which is supported so we will see how that works out.

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:02 AM Post #3,487 of 19,652
X5 is in the house.

I bought this on Amazon China and for the standard RMB 2098 price the seller included a SansDisk 30MB/s 8 GB  MicroSDHC card. Mind you, at least one person on here got a t-shirt with their Taobao purchase but I'll take the card (especially since I can pretty much guarantee that any t-shirt distributed in China wouldn't fit my substantial Canadian frame). They also included some comply-like tips. Do not ask me why. It's the mystery gift! lastly, I got a DVD which I expect may be the USB DAC software.

I am really impressed with the packaging which is Apply quality and then some. This is a serious commercial product. The accessories are also great. I especially like that it came with a screen saver already attached plus two extra. There are also pins to protect the 3.5mm jacks in case you do not use the silicon case which already has jack protection (for example for use with an external amp and dual-lock).

My initial impressions on the device is that it is solid and beautifully made. If I have any concern, it might be the long-term durability of the scroll wheel but that is based on nothing in particular but for it being a moving part. I will give it the benefit of the doubt unless and until there is a problem. The action on the wheel is nice and smooth with light clicks that you feel but do not hear.

That is all for now as the X5 is charging and I am  loading music onto a new Samsung 64GB microSDXC UHA-1 which I also just received. I am using the included MicroSD card reader - another nice accessory - and formatted the card for NTFS which is supported so we will see how that works out.

Congratulations for making the move, can't wait to hear your full report.

:beerchug:

Jan 23, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #3,488 of 19,652
Congratulations for making the move, can't wait to hear your full report.

beerchug.gif

Well the good news is that my Nokia 1.3A USB charger got the job done. The X5 is fully charged. I just scrolled around and got all my settings the way that I want them. Initial impressions on the menus UI and scroll wheel is two thumbs up. I like it!

My music is almost copied so I will be getting to try the X5 soon. Impressions in due course, I promise.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:19 AM Post #3,491 of 19,652
A little off topic but does anyone have any idea how this might compare as a DAC with the Musicstreamer II? I'm thinking of consolidating my audio and replacing my PC- > MusicStreamer II - > Yamaha AX596 - >BW 602 home audio setup with the X5 to active speakers (TBD) and am wondering how that might compare sound quality wise.

Jan 23, 2014 at 2:25 AM Post #3,492 of 19,652
  X5 is in the house.

I am really impressed with the packaging which is Apply quality and then some. This is a serious commercial product. The accessories are also great. I especially like that it came with a screen saver already attached plus two extra. There are also pins to protect the 3.5mm jacks in case you do not use the silicon case which already has jack protection (for example for use with an external amp and dual-lock).

cooperpwc, ur signature states that u also have DX50. Wish to know how is the PO/LO of X5 compared to DX50 :)

Jan 23, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3,493 of 19,652
  To each his/her own I guess. The beauty of this market is that each manufacturer has their own special selling points, giving us (somewhat) a choice for our own needs.

can't agree more ! yes, we don't need another ipod , 901, ak100/120, c4 。 

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jan 23, 2014 at 4:57 AM Post #3,494 of 19,652

cooperpwc, ur signature states that u also have DX50. Wish to know how is the PO/LO of X5 compared to DX50 :)

Eventually I will. In fairness to iBasso, I will wait until FW 1.2.8 before I do a detailed comparison. Otherwise I would have to compare X5's UI to 1.2.7 and its SQ to 1.2.5 (which I still do not think is quite right).

Frankly, if iBasso doesn't clean up the screwball use of daily build experimental codecs, they will be getting the comparison that they deserve and it may not be pretty. The X5 has a properly rendered soundstage - reminiscent of Foobar and other mature sources - right out of the box. It isn't that difficult, iBasso, if you just take the situation seriously!

Can you tell that I am getting fed up with the DX50 firmware lottery?  :wink:

Here is a hint though. The only interesting comparison will be between the DX50 and the X5 as sources for quality external amps. Nothing in the 1.2.8 codecs is going to change the obvious superiority of the X5's sound as a standalone DAP with IEM's. Just a few hours in and just sayin'.

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:11 AM Post #3,495 of 19,652
Eventually I will. In fairness to iBasso, I will wait until FW 1.2.8 before I do a detailed comparison. Otherwise I would have to compare X5's UI to 1.2.7 and its SQ to 1.2.5 (which I still do not think is quite right).

Frankly, if iBasso doesn't clean up the screwball use of daily build experimental codecs, they will be getting the comparison that they deserve and it may not be pretty. The X5 has a properly rendered soundstage - reminiscent of Foobar and other mature sources - right out of the box. It isn't that difficult, iBasso, if you just take the situation seriously!

Can you tell that I am getting fed up with the DX50 firmware lottery?  :wink:

Here is a hint though. The only interesting comparison will be between the DX50 and the X5 as sources for quality external amps. Nothing in the 1.2.8 codecs is going to change the obvious superiority of the X5's sound as a standalone DAP with IEM's. Just a few hours in and just sayin'.

how does it compare to ak100mk2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back