The discovery thread!
Jan 18, 2013 at 7:18 PM Post #6,061 of 100,078
Possible new find?

Veho Z-1

Found them on the amazon uk site for just £6.85, with some pretty good reviews for the price. Also available on the amazon us site for $9.99.

I thought they were worth a try. Just ordered, so ill post my thoughts as soon as they arrive.

Jan 18, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #6,063 of 100,078
Quote:
Somehow I knew you would dig em. They do need burn in for the highs to settle. They do have forward highs as many ATs do. But overall the sound is excellent. I am really looking forward to the new CKN70 when those come out. It will be interesting to see what AT can do with carbon nanotubes.. When I did the A/B against the FXDs the bass is somewhere between the FXD70 and the FXD80. It has some nice detail on every part of the sound. Also look forward to see what burn in does for them TDKs. As always great first impressions of them ericp.

Thank you Dsnuts! 
beerchug.gif

I actually hated the MA600 in the first 15 minutes of hearing it, but it's begun to quickly reveal what it can do as it settles in and get that silver/copper cable settled in. More details on that later, or  you can look at the MA600 thread for some quick updated thoughts about it.

Jan 19, 2013 at 1:43 AM Post #6,064 of 100,078
Quote:
Pissssh you truly are nuts nutman! I am not selling those modded S500s even if you threaten to kill me. I will be only getting more of them. LMAO
I am gunning for both of those FXZs as my end alls, no time to play around with these budget-fi stuff.
biggrin.gif

But you'll sure ain't helping out with my master plan and making it easier on me with all these new bling blings!!! 

edit: I might sell off my FXD70s if these new ATHs bests them. And yes i am a ship jumper!
tongue_smile.gif

I was most certain my pairs of FXZ100 and 200 were my ends all    ....that is until last nite after really listening to the newly burn in AD900X, if that is how good the new ATH's house signature is for 2013, I must get me a pair of them CKN50/CKN70 !

Bro, you and me both just have to resign ourselves to the fact that we'll be forever swimming between ships   ....that is unless we tie the Nutman to a killick and make him walk the plank !   ...ahoy ! what say ye, matey ?
wink_face.gif

Jan 19, 2013 at 2:16 AM Post #6,065 of 100,078
Well I don't know if any earphone is gonna reproduce that sound. I Do think the ckn70s might have some potential but let's get real that airiness stage and scope of sound can only come from a full sizes cans. Speaking of., Danny got his AD900x today.. I think he is impressed.

Jan 19, 2013 at 4:10 AM Post #6,066 of 100,078
LOL !   ...You're right, nothing touches the airiness of an open can ! I was looking for an iem with similar signature. 

Danny's impress with the AD900X out of box ???
confused.gif

...incidentally, all inclinations to get me an AD2000X went out the windows after 30mins with the AD900X on, I have no doubts the AD2000X is a technically more superior phone, but the AD900X signature and balance suits me to a T !!!
L3000.gif

so my AD***X journey ends here.

Jan 19, 2013 at 12:05 PM Post #6,067 of 100,078
About a year ago, I decided that if I was gonna get full sized headphones, they were going to be open and not closed.  Closed cans produce resonance (echo), and that ruins the sound in the measure that it is present.

The big question is which open full sized headphones have great sub-bass and adequate mid-bass (punchy bass) for bass lovers.

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6,069 of 100,078
I've been A/Bing the FXD80 and CKN50. I agree with DannyBai's and Dsnuts initial assessment that the CKN50 is right in the middle of the D70 and D80. I actually think I like the mids and vocals better in the CKN50 than I do in the D80. Yet, I like the D80's overall sound signature better than the CKN50 (and I like the JVC's bass better). I think the D80's overall sound signature is more 3-Dish.  I think the CKN50's soundstage is wider than the D80's though. I also think the CKN50 is closer to the D80 in quality of sound than it is to the D70. The CKN50 competes quite well against the D80 to be about half of the cost (not counting in shipping from Japan). I think I like the JVC timbre better, but the CKN50 is one of the more pleasant sounds I've heard from AT. I couldn't recommend one over the other because both are tuned so differently from the other one. I will say that I think the CKN50 has the more balanced sound across the bass, mids, and treble. Nice job AT!

Jan 19, 2013 at 7:03 PM Post #6,070 of 100,078
JVC wins in build quality though.

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #6,071 of 100,078
Oh no! More headphones by audio-technica released! Time to empty wallets!

Here's the first one that could be interesting, the ATH-CKN70. Seems to be an upgraded version of the ckn50 dynamic IEM that was literally just released in stores. It's still not available on amazon.jp , but it should be soon. It will be available in black, blue or silver and comes out an an MSRP of 8925 JPY including taxes. But thankfully, it's already selling for 2000 JPY less in most online shops like Joshin Web and E-earphone (the best online headphone shop if you are in Japan). The frequency response for the CKN70 is 10-26000Hz compared to 10-25000Hz on the CKN50, indicating this may be a new driver. It uses a 5.7mm carbon nanotube driver. Other than that, the only difference on the spec sheet I found was the weight of the CKN70, which is 4.7 grams instead of the 3.5 of the CKN50. But that could only be because the CKN70 has an aluminum housing.
Oh and the reason I put carbon nanotube in bold is because if you guys don't remember, the S500 have carbon nanotube drivers, and we all know how that went. 
Here's the link to the AT website, if you want to see the pictures or specs for yourself (in Japanese of course) 
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2294

Edit: Oops, looks like these are actually supposed to be released February 15 according to AT and the kakaku website prices are only for pre-orders. Nevertheless, very exciting stuff!

Jan 19, 2013 at 8:31 PM Post #6,072 of 100,078
Quote:
Oh no! More headphones by audio-technica released! Time to empty wallets!

Here's the first one that could be interesting, the ATH-CKN70. Seems to be an upgraded version of the ckn50 dynamic IEM that was literally just released in stores. It's still not available on amazon.jp , but it should be soon. It will be available in black, blue or silver and comes out an an MSRP of 8925 JPY including taxes. But thankfully, it's already selling for 2000 JPY less in most online shops like Joshin Web and E-earphone (the best online headphone shop if you are in Japan). The frequency response for the CKN70 is 10-26000Hz compared to 10-25000Hz on the CKN50, indicating this may be a new driver. It uses a 5.7mm carbon nanotube driver. Other than that, the only difference on the spec sheet I found was the weight of the CKN70, which is 4.7 grams instead of the 3.5 of the CKN50. But that could only be because the CKN70 has an aluminum housing.
Oh and the reason I put carbon nanotube in bold is because if you guys don't remember, the S500 have carbon nanotube drivers, and we all know how that went. 
Here's the link to the AT website, if you want to see the pictures or specs for yourself (in Japanese of course) 
http://www.audio-technica.co.jp/atj/show_model.php?modelId=2294

Edit: Oops, looks like these are actually supposed to be released February 15 according to AT and the kakaku website prices are only for pre-orders. Nevertheless, very exciting stuff!

Yeah, the CKN70 looks very appealing.
I took the chance and pre-ordered from Amazon Japan.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #6,073 of 100,078
I think the CKN50 has a carbon nanotube driver too. I think I read that somewhere.

Jan 19, 2013 at 11:59 PM Post #6,075 of 100,078
Man, I've been listening to the AD900X for a couple of days now.  I actually thought they sounded great on open box but heard some graininess in some tunes.  It's 20 hours later and I actually don't heard the graininess on the same tunes.  It has refined nicely already.  I don't really hear any flaws so if it still gets better than this, I'll be smitten.  

The sound of this open headphone is stunning.  The airiness is the best I've heard.  The music surrounds your head, it's fantastic.  I have the HE500/400 sitting here and the Fidelio X1 too and I think these have the best stage of all of them.  

I think the best feature about this headphone, besides the stage is that all the ranges are even.  The bass is nice and tight and never spoils any other frequency.  Thankfully the bass is present since everything else I own would be considered to be bass enhanced compared to these.  I love the bass because it's so well controlled.  

Vocals sound so good too.  It is forward but not even close to being too forward.  Positioned correctly in my book.  I feel like I am listening to a live recording.  Amazing.  

Treble.  This part I was scared of since almost all AT earphones get too sibilant for me.  For instance, the new CKS1000 and CKN50 both I've heard still get somewhat strident but is much better than the older models and I can handle it.  More so on the CKS1000.  Well, these AD900X's don't even come close to sibilance but still keep that AT treble flowing beautifully.  

I've heard a lot of gear since I've been on Head-Fi and a piece of gear like this comes my way every once in awhile that just blows me away thankfully to some close friends I've met on here to recommend them to me.  This headphone is a pure bargain for the sound you get.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back