The discovery thread!
Jan 18, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #6,046 of 101,793
I just received my ELE. I ordered it in black but the unit is silver - it's not a big deal though as its pretty shiny and cute. It took exactly 50 days to arrive.

edit: I'll test it later but for now build quality seems pretty good. Nothing is rattling inside or cracking or anything. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #6,048 of 101,793
OK, so I've been listing to my s500 through the ELE for a while and I'm pretty impressed. For 18 bucks it just destroys my built-in sound card. It has decent power for something so small - less than something like an Asus Xonar DGX but enough for most easier to drive headphones. Sound is slightly cold but not because of boosted treble that makes it bright and harsh - no, the ELE just has a thinner note presentation, which helps with the clarity. This is a great buy for people with bad and noisy built-in PC sound cards and for people with laptops, netbook etc or if you just want something to use at work.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #6,049 of 101,793
This was a nice surprise. My good friend who recently visited his in laws in Japan sent me a little gift.

These are Beyerdynamic DTX 501p portables and the very magazine that we was reading about a few pages back. Lol. I have these headphones on my head as I type. These are very good actually surprising how they sound for being so small.. Believe it or not these are my first Beyers.Will break them in all day.. They block out sound real good. Very comfy. Built well. Sounds straight. Has a much more dynamic and full sound than you would predict from such a small portable.. German engineering at it's finest. Will report back a bit later.

Jan 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM Post #6,050 of 101,793
Quote:
Maybe dsnuts can share what kind of tracks he uses for burning in?

Edit: Saw a link to bjaardkers DnB on the first page.

I use a 3 hour Drum n Bass compilation. It is a fast beat driven repetitive music that taxes them driver to perform.. Any Drum n Bass will work but the key here is fairly loud volumes and for prolonged periods of time.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #6,051 of 101,793
Wow! new Japanese record! TDK ECMA600 (magnetic armature) and ATH-CKN50 shipped on Wednesday and at my post office here in Chicago on Friday. Will give impressions later on today (initial impressions of course). 

May sell FXZ200 (shocker! I know). Not because I don't love them, but a friend here at my office is really into IEMs and he hates even trying to go through the hassle of ordering from Japan. Although there is a difference, I realize I can be happy owning the FXZ100 and owning the FXZ200 or vice versa. I want him to buy the FXZ100, but if he wants the FXZ200 I might go ahead and sell to him. I'll get the FXZ200 down the line if I do sell it (and after I sell the FXZ100 as I only need one). Plus, I need to save up for the Vsonic V7007.

Jan 18, 2013 at 1:48 PM Post #6,052 of 101,793
Quote:
This was a nice surprise. My good friend who recently visited his in laws in Japan sent me a little gift.

These are Beyerdynamic DTX 501p portables and the very magazine that we was reading about a few pages back. Lol. I have these headphones on my head as I type. These are very good actually surprising how they sound for being so small.. Believe it or not these are my first Beyers.Will break them in all day.. They block out sound real good. Very comfy. Built well. Sounds straight. Has a much more dynamic and full sound than you would predict from such a small portable.. German engineering at it's finest. Will report back a bit later.

Friend goes to Jpn but gets you a Made in Germany product??? I am sorry but I am completely lost by this story. ha
confused_face_2.gif

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:10 PM Post #6,053 of 101,793
Ya kinda weird but I know why. He said it was on display and it sounded so good he had to get me one. Hey I will gladly take that as a gift. Who am I to argue a gift. It is A German engineered product made in China of course sold in Japan. Ha..

Jan 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #6,054 of 101,793
Quote:
Ya kinda weird but I know why. He said it was on display and it sounded so good he had to get me one. Hey I will gladly take that as a gift. Who am I to argue a gift. It is A German engineered product made in China of course sold in Japan. Ha..

Ah, touche. Should have never underestimated the omnipresent power of "MADE IN CHINA".  Looks like the Chinese got the last laugh. I win!
beyersmile.png

Jan 18, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #6,055 of 101,793
First (TDK ECMA600 - magnetic armature)>>Okay. Hmmm? First thing is that these little buggers have bass! May have more bass than the IE800 and the BA200 in quantity (the jury is still out on quality). It's a bass and mids-forward IEM, yet with treble extension too. The IE800's and BA200's basses are more refined (actually those two earphones have a more refined sound, period, at this point). The earphones are very sturdy though with the rubber stablizer connect to it. There is a definite power to the sound. With that stated, these need some serious burn in before any conclusive thoughts can be made. Electrical guitars sound amazing in these. At the moment, I have to say the IE800 and BA200 are miles ahead, but there seems to be potential and platform to build upon in getting better.

Second (ATH-CKN50) - I'm actually more impressed with the CKN50 on first listen than I am with the MA600. Nice bass, mids and treble (although the treble is bordering on being too much for me - not over the cliff yet, but close). Nice full sound with gorgeous mids. I agree with DannyB that these have more to do with the FXD80 than FXD70, but don't get me wrong, this is definitely the AT house sound (which in my opinion tends not to be as warm as JVC). Nice spacing between instrumentation. I can't wait to hear what burn in does for these. Now, with that stated, I think AT put its money into the sound and not the cord and some other things. The cord feels very stiff and flimsy to me, although the housings are very solid. TDK wins on build quality, but AT wins on sound quality (out of the box). Both show there is plenty room to grow. 

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:08 PM Post #6,056 of 101,793
I can't believe I'm about to type this fellas, but the CKN50 may actually beat my beloved FXD80 out of the box in sound quality (not build quality). I need to rush home and compare the two. Will let you know. The mids in these things are wonderful!! And bass is just right.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #6,057 of 101,793
Somehow I knew you would dig em. They do need burn in for the highs to settle. They do have forward highs as many ATs do. But overall the sound is excellent. I am really looking forward to the new CKN70 when those come out. It will be interesting to see what AT can do with carbon nanotubes.. When I did the A/B against the FXDs the bass is somewhere between the FXD70 and the FXD80. It has some nice detail on every part of the sound. Also look forward to see what burn in does for them TDKs. As always great first impressions of them ericp.

Jan 18, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #6,060 of 101,793
Quote:
Just sell off one of your HA-S500, heck you might even get more money for your super mods. Don't you own 2 pairs?  And sell a pair of your iems. And there you go mang.

Pissssh you truly are nuts nutman! I am not selling those modded S500s even if you threaten to kill me. I will be only getting more of them. LMAO
I am gunning for both of those FXZs as my end alls, no time to play around with these budget-fi stuff.
biggrin.gif

But you'll sure ain't helping out with my master plan and making it easier on me with all these new bling blings!!! 

edit: I might sell off my FXD70s if these new ATHs bests them. And yes i am a ship jumper!
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back