The discovery thread!
Jan 20, 2013 at 12:07 AM Post #6,076 of 101,793
Quote:

I was most certain my pairs of FXZ100 and 200 were my ends all    ....that is until last nite after really listening to the newly burn in AD900X, if that is how good the new ATH's house signature is for 2013, I must get me a pair of them CKN50/CKN70 !

Bro, you and me both just have to resign ourselves to the fact that we'll be forever swimming between ships   ....that is unless we tie the Nutman to a killick and make him walk the plank !   ...ahoy ! what say ye, matey ?
wink_face.gif

Damn it ghost why can't you let me lie to myself for now.
tongue_smile.gif
 Of course there can never be "END ALLs" anything since the introduction of new tech is always just around the corner. But what these FXZs can do is make me CONTENT, be truly content. Just like my modded S500s i don't feel like i lack anything or have the desire to buy "better" more $$$s gear to satisfy my needs. Hopefully these FXZs will be able to do that for me. That is all i am asking for really. Be Content and be mind blown with what i have and not be tempted by D's FOTM.
biggrin.gif

That sounds like a swell plan ghost, i see you already taken the 1st step with that avatar change of yours.
beerchug.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #6,077 of 101,793
Quote:
Man, I've been listening to the AD900X for a couple of days now.  I actually thought they sounded great on open box but heard some graininess in some tunes.  It's 20 hours later and I actually don't heard the graininess on the same tunes.  It has refined nicely already.  I don't really hear any flaws so if it still gets better than this, I'll be smitten.  

The sound of this open headphone is stunning.  The airiness is the best I've heard.  The music surrounds your head, it's fantastic.  I have the HE500/400 sitting here and the Fidelio X1 too and I think these have the best stage of all of them.  

I think the best feature about this headphone, besides the stage is that all the ranges are even.  The bass is nice and tight and never spoils any other frequency.  Thankfully the bass is present since everything else I own would be considered to be bass enhanced compared to these.  I love the bass because it's so well controlled.  

Vocals sound so good too.  It is forward but not even close to being too forward.  Positioned correctly in my book.  I feel like I am listening to a live recording.  Amazing.  

Treble.  This part I was scared of since almost all AT earphones get too sibilant for me.  For instance, the new CKS1000 and CKN50 both I've heard still get somewhat strident but is much better than the older models and I can handle it.  More so on the CKS1000.  Well, these AD900X's don't even come close to sibilance but still keep that AT treble flowing beautifully.  

I've heard a lot of gear since I've been on Head-Fi and a piece of gear like this comes my way every once in awhile that just blows me away thankfully to some close friends I've met on here to recommend them to me.  This headphone is a pure bargain for the sound you get.  

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! i didn't read what i just read. haha HYPED!!!

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:25 AM Post #6,079 of 101,793
Quote:
Please quit trolling and get yourself a pair!!  
biggrin.gif

LoL, don't know what you mean. I troll??? That is news to me. Stop trolling me with those hype post Danny, i don't know how much longer i can stand you guys hitting me from so many fronts. Ghost, ericp, Ds, and now You!!! T__T 

The mods need to ban me from head-fi for trolling ASAP!
tongue_smile.gif

edit: then who is gonna keep you entertained here at head-fi.
wink_face.gif
I am a necessary evil.
devil_face.gif

Jan 20, 2013 at 12:30 AM Post #6,080 of 101,793
Man... JVC is really on a streak for headphones lately. Considering they aren't doing very good financially as a company, they should hurry the hell up, and release the FXZ series in the US (at a fair price unlike these ebay and amazon scammers in the US) and release their S500/400 as well. I'm sure it would get appreciated a lot more on amazon and it could end up as popular as like an M50

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #6,081 of 101,793
If you don't like the ring, you can probably cut if off. According to the AT website, the ring's purpose is to reduce sound leakage from the iems and improve comfort. I think removing them shouldn't prove to be too much of a problem since the IEMs have a regular straight shape. They would just end up fitting like Meelec M9s and such. If you do it though, don't blame me 
deadhorse.gif
deadhorse.gif
 lol this new smiley is so weird.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:32 AM Post #6,082 of 101,793
Quote:
LoL, don't know what you mean. I troll??? That is news to me. Stop trolling me with those hype post Danny, i don't know how much longer i can stand you guys hitting me from so many fronts. Ghost, ericp, Ds, and now You!!! T__T 

The mods need to ban me from head-fi for trolling ASAP!
tongue_smile.gif

edit: then who is gonna keep you entertained here at head-fi.
wink_face.gif
I am a necessary evil.
devil_face.gif

You know what sf I was thinking about you when Danny posted these AD900X. I know you like your bass end.. For you I would look into the A900X.. It is the closed back version of these headphones. With more bass..The SQ level is very nice on these as well. But with that added bass end.. The real good news is. These A900X goes for like $170ish on Amazon Japan. I bought mine when it came out $330 or so. Something to consider for a nice upgrade for you..

@Danny...Love me some AD900X. I should start a fan thread for them. I know they are gonna get many fans here at head fi.

Jan 20, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #6,083 of 101,793
Quote:
I think the CKN50 has a carbon nanotube driver too. I think I read that somewhere.

It says it is in the CKN70 and the CKN50 has no mention of it as far as I have seen.

"Diaphragm of carbon nanotube material adopted to express delicate sound.
The carbon nanotube material that combines lightweight stiffness and durability, I play to the delicate sound of powerful expression."

Pretty sure the improvements are the stiffer nanotube material for the diaphragm, the high rigidity aluminum for the housing, and slightly deeper housing. Hopefully makes for a noticeable step up in SQ.

Jan 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM Post #6,084 of 101,793
Quote:
Man, I've been listening to the AD900X for a couple of days now.  I actually thought they sounded great on open box but heard some graininess in some tunes.  It's 20 hours later and I actually don't heard the graininess on the same tunes.  It has refined nicely already.  I don't really hear any flaws so if it still gets better than this, I'll be smitten.  

The sound of this open headphone is stunning.  The airiness is the best I've heard.  The music surrounds your head, it's fantastic.  I have the HE500/400 sitting here and the Fidelio X1 too and I think these have the best stage of all of them.  

I think the best feature about this headphone, besides the stage is that all the ranges are even.  The bass is nice and tight and never spoils any other frequency.  Thankfully the bass is present since everything else I own would be considered to be bass enhanced compared to these.  I love the bass because it's so well controlled.  

Vocals sound so good too.  It is forward but not even close to being too forward.  Positioned correctly in my book.  I feel like I am listening to a live recording.  Amazing.  

Treble.  This part I was scared of since almost all AT earphones get too sibilant for me.  For instance, the new CKS1000 and CKN50 both I've heard still get somewhat strident but is much better than the older models and I can handle it.  More so on the CKS1000.  Well, these AD900X's don't even come close to sibilance but still keep that AT treble flowing beautifully.  

I've heard a lot of gear since I've been on Head-Fi and a piece of gear like this comes my way every once in awhile that just blows me away thankfully to some close friends I've met on here to recommend them to me.  This headphone is a pure bargain for the sound you get.  

Regardless of price, please rank the HE-500, HE-400 and AD900X in order of preference with a "just one headphone for all genres" criterion.

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #6,085 of 101,793
I was just on the sale forums. And this pops up.. I would snap this up for anyone that have the funds to do so. I know this guys reasoning. These headphones are so good I might as well get the AD2000X. For what he is asking for it almost new. Snap this up somebody. http://www.head-fi.org/t/647162/audio-technica-ath-ad900x

Jan 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #6,086 of 101,793
Quote:
I just picked up the XB60EX for $35 here:  http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_62289_Sony-MDR-XB60EX-GLD-MDRXB60EX-GLD-Extra-Bass-In-Ear-Headphones-Gold.html

they have not come in yet and there are no reviews but for $35 I will roll the dice on this one.

Please post impressions when you get them. I haven't been able to find much about the XB60EX. I'd like to know how they compare to the MH1C.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:07 PM Post #6,087 of 101,793
Quote:
I was just on the sale forums. And this pops up.. I would snap this up for anyone that have the funds to do so. I know this guys reasoning. These headphones are so good I might as well get the AD2000X. For what he is asking for it almost new. Snap this up somebody. http://www.head-fi.org/t/647162/audio-technica-ath-ad900x

Are the 900X better than the S500?  Doesn't look like they are a candidate for cable replacement? 

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #6,089 of 101,793
Quote:

Are the 900X better than the S500?  Doesn't look like they are a candidate for cable replacement? 

Cute. Trust me..I know your sound preference. All I am gonna say is. Whomever makes the move to grab them AD900X is gonna be extremely happy..You get these cans and I am willing to bet you. You are gonna be mightly impressed and no recable needed. Lol. Not just better than the HA-S500. It is on another level completely.. Let me put it this way. If you read the recent 57 flagship compared. Op on that thread gave the older AD900 an A+ rating for sound. One of only four cans. And for good reason. The only thing those was somewhat missing was the bass end. The AD900X from all indications is using new drivers and actually is an improvement and now it has the bass end to compliment the detailed sound. The stage the airiness. It is one of the most beautiful sounds I have ever heard for any can. It is my best sounding can..

I would not hesitate to snap them up..$195 is simply a bargain for the sound. I will let you guys in on a little secret. I recently bought 4 phones from Amazon Japan. The FXZ100 FXZ200 CKS1000 and these AD900X. Take a guess which one shocked and awed me the most.

All I am gonna say is whomever grabs that can from the seller is in for a very nice surprise. There is no way you guys can guess what type of sound you are getting for that price.

Jan 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #6,090 of 101,793
Quote:
Seriously cute?
rolleyes.gif

edit: They seem to be completely different animals so a question like that is kinda hard to answer. But no one has heard you madly modded S500s so......

Since I modded my W1000X with W2000X drivers, and an upgraded DHC cable, and I sold that combo when I got the S500, because the S500 was better with modds......I wanted Dsnuts to answer with his opinion of the 900X vs modded S500!  That is a good price on the 900X, but I would have to replace the cable....if indeed it is better than my S500.....doubt if it's better though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back