The discovery thread!
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #33,751 of 100,034
Not sure if those impressions have changed with time
Unfortunately, impressions had not changed - I am use it mostly outdoors, with these foam tips. DM5 is not for outdoor use, if you do not want to throw them to the first trash bin you find on your way. Alternatively, if you use DM5 indoors - it is brilliant, one of best headphones I've ever heard.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #33,752 of 100,034
I really like these DM5's, the bass is good, treble the slightest bit edgy (on some tracks), but good detail on top, and what I notice is that the depth of stage and imaging is quite impressive, especially at this price point (but in absolute terms as well).

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #33,753 of 100,034
I really like these DM5's, the bass is good, treble the slightest bit edgy (on some tracks), but good detail on top, and what I notice is that the depth of stage and imaging is quite impressive, especially at this price point (but in absolute terms as well).
Pretty sufficient bass in quality and quantity with deep reach?

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #33,754 of 100,034
Sufficient for me, @vlenbo. I don't like anemic bass in iems.

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #33,755 of 100,034
Good news fellas. Got word I will get my Shangling M3s very soon. People that preorder from musictek will get a free case to go with it. Bonus.

Will gladly post some actual impressions compared to my X5iii. Drives me nuts when people just post glam pictures of a new player with no actual impressions of sound. I for one don't give a fart what the player looks like. Plently of pics from the manufacturer provides. How the damn thing sound is my question?!!

YES sound impressions please, not just playboy like foldout pix spreads. mine is on the way with a blue case, and will be listening soon!

Oct 3, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #33,756 of 100,034
It doesn't suck but is just average in the $50 - $100 range and doesn't have what one would consider a natural midrange and treble that follow the actual meaning of hi-fi.

Unless one is especially looking for that kind of tuning, there are several $60 IEMs with a higher technical performance and more natural midrange & treble tuning (Ostry KC06A, Fidue A65, Brainwavz B100, Mee A151, Logitech/UE UE600, final E2000 & E3000 (except for bass speed and tightness), Havi B3 Pro I, Shozy's own Zero, ...). The budget range is really crowded nowadays and there is some serious competition around.

I hear you Chris, since I've got the majority of the rest on your list I'll pass :wink:

DOH! I was wondering of that would be the case! Unfortunately they have shipped so I will post if I experience the same thing and maybe add a quick review so people will know to avoid them.

Hmmm, I wonder if my dead XBA-Z5 guts would fit inside their housing? I hate that I have $700 of the best sound I have ever owned sitting broken and collecting dust...

I'm sorry to hear that, didn't realize that you had already ordered them. Hopefully you'll like them better than I do..

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #33,757 of 100,034
Interesting little discovery as the Koss 60ohm driver is still loved...https://www.koss.com/headphones/on-ear-headphones/kph30i
kph30ib_master.jpg

Plug in the KPH30i using the all-new, rugged cable system with spring reinforced strain relief that is built to last.
kph30ik_s3.jpg

"The Koss KPH30i is a direct descendant of the Koss Pro35 and popular Koss KTXPro1. With all-new modern features like an in-line microphone and remote, the KPH30i keeps listeners connected all while enjoying their favorite tunes.

The lightweight on-ear headphones feature an open-air design with smooth bass and clean treble. The 60-ohm elements are perfectly tuned for use on the go with most mobile hardware content players.

With an all-new patent pending suspension, the KPH30i creates the absolute perfect fit for hours of comfortable listening enjoyment."

Specifications
sc_frequencyresponse.svg
15-25,000 Hz
sc_impedance.svg
60 Ohms
sc_sensitivity.svg
101 dB SPL
sc_cord.svg
4 foot
sc_warranty.svg
Limited Lifetime Warranty

Price: $29.99 ($25.49 with the usual 15% off code that can be found if one searches)
Available in Black or White

Edit: I grabbed a pair in the black color. Still like the form factor and have the slot filled currently with a pair of v-Jays. So, I'll compare both and the winner stays :) Also have had plenty of Koss 60 Ohm experience so I can tell tell what they sound close to. Hopefully the bigger D shape, spring relief plug, and "suspension" are improvements.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 7:27 PM Post #33,759 of 100,034
Anybody here have any information about the Shozy's flagship model the " Star ll "
I think shozy is a pretty bad ass company but i've never heard (literally and figurativly) either models didn't even realize shozy had a Chinese only high end iem and now there is a successor? Interesting indeed.
here is a the info from penon audio's page about the star II
Shozy Star II Audiophile IEMs

Description

Star II design process

• Star II is a new start, newer and more perfect processing technology and tuning architecture will completely subvert the first generation.
  • Star tuning basis based on the Etymotic ER4, a reference level earphones that has 86% accurate degree of reduction between 20hz-16khz, tuning direction to ER4 high-fidelity technology as a reference tone, the integration of our tuning style , Hope on the basis of ER4 accuracy improving the low-frequency quality and resolution and sound field, corresponding to the popular player, the phone's output power can also produce a good frequency response.
  • In this year, the engineering team communicated with the American Knowles engineers to seek technical support on the core components, and finally found a driver that could meet the requirements, using the ER4 frame driver to open a hole through the technology, increase the driver intake air Volume to enhance some low frequency band, and expand the sound field.
  • Through this handling, it is inevitable to lose a lot of high frequency and resolution, the process is like alchemy, when you get a part, will also make you lose other parts ,in order to balance gains and losses, engineers have adopted a Ultra High Frequency, high resolution driver to finish up the missing low frequency of high-frequency speaker .the use of dual frequency-divider module for frequency divide processing, cut off the unneeded frequency, after the matching the open hold driver ,and then damping tuning and micro-change. On such a day the starII appeared.
At any cost, respect for intellectual property rights, use genuine high quality materials

• oyaide factory direct import P-3.5G plug, custom high-precision pure carbon fiber back cover, oyaide Chrome-plated 24K plug, the high precision process, knurling and Chrome plating treatment, use original Knowles sound field driver ensure consistency, stability, High-end integration of all carbon fiber cover, the real pure carbon fiber, higher consistency and have a real carbon fiber audio and physical characteristics than the average carbon fiber cloth.
With high-quality custom silver-plated wire

• Using the software for digital modeling, light curing 3D mold, installed the welding and tested driver with the divider also the socket, after covered with a custom all carbon fiber cover ,then light curing reinforcement, while grinding while facing the light Constantly rotating the cavity, until did not see the edges and corners from the scattered light but all the surface and perfect flawless hands feel, like a pebbles ,finally brush a layer of high hardness of medical grade paint, put in the UV Box for curing forming, and then with 1/24 times the frequency, 20-20khz stroke, do high-precision machine data test, to ensure that the curve control in the absolute value of 2DB, the factory will be to ensure the accuracy of the sound and welding stability.
Professional product debugging standards

• BK hardware system support, the United States SOUND CHECK 12.0 software system, test headphones using 711 standard sensor, 1/24 times the frequency high precision measurement standards. 20-20Khz bandwidth stroke, through the impedance conversion weight, set the precise rated power to ensure that each earphone curve is extremely accurate, no bias. In the development phase of the rental acoustics laboratory to collect measurement data, analysis and integration to ensure the most accurate acoustic measurement results, to promote the development of outstanding scientific and accurate products
    Graphical data comparison reference
Lots of technical jargon in hear but to me it seems like they put thought into it and it should be better than the star but again i've never heard the star or even realized it even existed :confounded:

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #33,761 of 100,034
New product. You knew they were gonna make it after the popularity of the first...
1_000000155136.jpg

3_000000155136.jpg

You guessed it, the Yamaha EPH-200 is coming!

Oct 4, 2017 at 9:38 AM Post #33,763 of 100,034
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back