The discovery thread!
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #33,737 of 101,679
The p1 and TFZ are at massdrop . Will You sill suggest to get the dm5?

Guys that like a more neutral sound profile with excellent isolation go for the PX on massdrop or take a chance on the P2 if you like your bass a bit emphasized on your neutral tuning.

The DM5 being only $65 to get one. I am telling every single guy reading this. Sure they don't isolate like the PX but the sound these thing throw out gonna put a whole new perspective what you can get for the price. I haven't heard too many earphones in the market that can reproduce the bass on the DM5 let alone the over all sound. We are dealing with some of the best values in earphones right now and It comes down to your needs and preferences.

Both earphones sound excellent in balanced but the PX is one of the best isolating phones but lacks that sub bass the DM5 does not lack in anything but does not isolate as well. It is a tad less than average so not terrible and can be used outdoors. That bass makes up for the little lack of isolation..

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #33,738 of 101,679
I asked about it a week or so ago and 1 or 2 indicated it wasn't the best with outside and noise - bass gets lost. The large vents probably have something to do with that. Not sure if those impressions have changed with time or modifications.

They aren't terrible outdoors to be honest. I have used them outdoors just fine. Just got to up the volume a bit.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #33,739 of 101,679
Hmmm it’s strange because iem usually are fine outside
The vents look to be quite significant although I don't know what of them are folly open vs just visual.
DM5%E9%9D%92%E5%8F%A4%E9%93%9C-700x700.jpg

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #33,740 of 101,679
Good news fellas. Got word I will get my Shangling M3s very soon. People that preorder from musictek will get a free case to go with it. Bonus.

Will gladly post some actual impressions compared to my X5iii. Drives me nuts when people just post glam pictures of a new player with no actual impressions of sound. I for one don't give a fart what the player looks like. Plently of pics from the manufacturer provides. How the damn thing sound is my question?!!

@natwild1 Its not completely open. Due to the shells being stuffed with drivers it isolates better than being completely open. Sounds like a semiopen design to my ears.

Believe it or not the new Tin Audio T2 actually has less isolation than the DM5 and it is completely all metal and is closed design with one vent out back.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 9:25 AM Post #33,741 of 101,679
Good news fellas. Got word I will get my Shangling M3s very soon. People that preorder from musictek will get a free case to go with it. Bonus.

Will gladly post some actual impressions compared to my X5iii. Drives me nuts when people just post glam pictures of a new player with no actual impressions of sound. I for one don't give a fart what the player looks like. Plently of pics from the manufacturer provides. How the damn thing sound is my question?!!

@natwild1 Its not completely open. Due to the shells being stuffed with drivers it isolates better than being completely open. Sounds like a semiopen design to my ears.

Believe it or not the new Tin Audio T2 actually has less isolation than the DM5 and it is completely all metal and is closed design with one vent out back.
Very tempted to get the DM5, especially since you are loving the sound from the balanced out as well on the X5 III. It would be great to hear your comparison of the M3s with the X5 III.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:32 AM Post #33,742 of 101,679

Aarrrgh - wallet likely to get wafer thin.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:40 AM Post #33,743 of 101,679
Peter, did you have a chance to listen to Hibiki? @HiFiChris review HERE is quite discouraging.

It doesn't suck but is just average in the $50 - $100 range and doesn't have what one would consider a natural midrange and treble that follow the actual meaning of hi-fi.

Unless one is especially looking for that kind of tuning, there are several $60 IEMs with a higher technical performance and more natural midrange & treble tuning (Ostry KC06A, Fidue A65, Brainwavz B100, Mee A151, Logitech/UE UE600, final E2000 & E3000 (except for bass speed and tightness), Havi B3 Pro I, Shozy's own Zero, ...). The budget range is really crowded nowadays and there is some serious competition around.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #33,744 of 101,679
SRSY. I can't recommend a better earphone on the top of my head or does anything sound better than what the DM5 offers in both single and balanced out. For $65 free shipped to your door.

The crazy thing about them is I still feel I can optimize the sound even more than I have heard them which is crazy. They change with tips, cables and sources. Once you get that synergy dialed in. There is no possible way you are gonna look at what you payed for it and say that is a $65 earphone.

Oct 3, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #33,745 of 101,679
Guys that like a more neutral sound profile with excellent isolation go for the PX on massdrop or take a chance on the P2 if you like your bass a bit emphasized on your neutral tuning.

The DM5 being only $65 to get one. I am telling every single guy reading this. Sure they don't isolate like the PX but the sound these thing throw out gonna put a whole new perspective what you can get for the price. I haven't heard too many earphones in the market that can reproduce the bass on the DM5 let alone the over all sound. We are dealing with some of the best values in earphones right now and It comes down to your needs and preferences.

Both earphones sound excellent in balanced but the PX is one of the best isolating phones but lacks that sub bass the DM5 does not lack in anything but does not isolate as well. It is a tad less than average so not terrible and can be used outdoors. That bass makes up for the little lack of isolation..

Sorry I don't quite understand the isolation part. Is it because of the tips?

Oct 3, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #33,746 of 101,679
SRSY. I can't recommend a better earphone on the top of my head or does anything sound better than what the DM5 offers in both single and balanced out. For $65 free shipped to your door.

The crazy thing about them is I still feel I can optimize the sound even more than I have heard them which is crazy. They change with tips, cables and sources. Once you get that synergy dialed in. There is no possible way you are gonna look at what you payed for it and say that is a $65 earphone.

I used to see them selling at $58 last week LOL.
I'd wait for 11/11 ^^

Oct 3, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #33,747 of 101,679
DM5 is a semiopen design due to the grills they have in the back side of the housing. Which IMO is a great design choice. Lets in air for the dynamic graphene drivers to breath. Gives a sense of space to the sound. The housing is smaller than the pictures would indicate. The entire housing fits in the outter portion of the ear comfortably. Due to the few holes it has out back it will not isolate as much as something like a PX earphone which is 2 pieces of solid metal fused together. However the isolation is not like a complete open back sound. Sure you will be able to hear your surroundings but once that music plays it sounds great outdoors as it does indoors.
DM5%E9%9D%92%E5%8F%A4%E9%93%9C-700x700.jpg

I was using them to water my lawn every day for a while. Sound perfectly fine outdoors. Very little microphonics due to them being worn over ears and no wind noise either.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #33,749 of 101,679
FWIW I've got those and I'm not impressed by then in any way, very bassy and quite muddy sounding. Maybe worth the price if you're a basshead but not anything special. As always YMMV, yada yada and all that :wink:
DOH! I was wondering of that would be the case! Unfortunately they have shipped so I will post if I experience the same thing and maybe add a quick review so people will know to avoid them.

Hmmm, I wonder if my dead XBA-Z5 guts would fit inside their housing? I hate that I have $700 of the best sound I have ever owned sitting broken and collecting dust...

Oct 3, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #33,750 of 101,679
I generally don't like iems for outside (I'm an outlier this way; I think that's what most folks like them for). I use them over ear, and generally get good relief from microphonics, but I always hear my footsteps transmitted through them (I read a good explanation somewhere on Head Fi recently, but damn if I can remember where...). As I usually listen when I walk my dog, the isolation and microphonics issue being resolved don't help if every step is transmitted and I can't hear the music well. I tend to use my On2 for walks these days...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back