The discovery thread!
Oct 4, 2017 at 12:06 PM Post #33,767 of 101,685
so, in digesting this thread it appears the following are the most-touted sub-$100 picks:
savra red
dm5
tin audio t2
of these three, which is the easiest to drive? best isolation?
grazie

Don't have the savra but the other two the T2 is a bit easier to drive over the DM5. DM5 is fairly easy to drive but sounds better with a small amp or a dedicated dap with some power. Isolation on both are a wash. Even though the T2 is an all metal closed design don't know if it is due to the vent on the back side of the housing but it don't isolate all that well and looses too much bottom end when driving around with them. The Bass at least on the DM5 can be heard.

Oct 4, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #33,768 of 101,685
20171004_135038.jpgHey DS, if you still have the 1More Quad try taking the widest bore tip you have kicking around and throw them on them. I had these laying around so decided to see what they would do and they helped open the sound in the highs a lot. I am enjoying the added vibrancy and energy which I felt was missing before.
20171004_135032.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #33,769 of 101,685
Those look like spiral dots. Admittedly I haven't done the usual tip rolling. Was using them with the stock silicones with the silicone mesh in the front which I felt was why they sounded spacious. Will try out some other tips.

Oct 4, 2017 at 5:16 PM Post #33,770 of 101,685
I never tip rolled for the same reason and was very surprised at the change in sound. The change is subtle but I found myself hanging on to the notes of violins, guitars, vocals, and the decay of cymbals more after I switched.

Let me know if your hearing anything in case it's placebo.

I think they are spiral dots as well but wasn't sure so took a picture.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #33,771 of 101,685
Don't forget the traveler And hibiki
i've added the traveler to my wish list. also waiting for the pioneer ch9t to drop in price, which seems inevitable. i didn't get into the shozy zero, so the hibiki doesn't tempt me. thanks all for the feedback.

Oct 5, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #33,772 of 101,685
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #33,773 of 101,685
I never tip rolled for the same reason and was very surprised at the change in sound. The change is subtle but I found myself hanging on to the notes of violins, guitars, vocals, and the decay of cymbals more after I switched.

Let me know if your hearing anything in case it's placebo.

I think they are spiral dots as well but wasn't sure so took a picture.

Actually you have just discovered why the Spiral dots are one of my favorite tips. Been listen to the one more quads with spiral dots and your right there is beter treble energy and I think it is due to them not sitting as shallow to the ears and the fact that the soud bore is much wider.Opens up the sound like it goes with every earphone I have used them on. I also noticed a slight increase in volume with the Spiral dots. This is in comparison to the stock silicone tips with the mesh in the front of the tips. Another observation I noticed. Spiral dots flatten the sound a touch vs the stock tips. Stock tips seems to push a touch more mids and layering due to the mesh in the front. Seems to absorb a bit of volume. I like what the spiral dots do for them but at the same time I kinda like what the stock tips does for layering of the sound. 2 different take on the quad sound I suppose. A pefect tip would be a combo where the nozzle would be as wide as the Spiral dots and has that mesh in the front for the layering.

People that ordered the EDC earphones on Massdrop there is a reason why I used the Spiral dots for the tip modification for them. It opens up the treble end and lowers the mid bass. Seems to do the same for the one more quads.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #33,774 of 101,685
Thanks DS I was pretty sure I was hearing differences in the sound. I agree the mesh does something to the layering and a combination of the spiral dot with mesh would be pretty much perfect. The spirals have added enough to the sound that I think I am going to stick with them for now over the stock tips.

Oct 5, 2017 at 9:56 AM Post #33,775 of 101,685
It certainly gives a different take on the sound. Love me some Spiral dots. I think I have bought a total of 5 boxes of them to use on my iems. Most of my Iems use Spiral dots actually.

I wish there was a way we could buy the Sony MH1C tips. I only own 2 pairs and protect them like family jewels. Those are uber rare and has the opposite effect of the Spiral dots. Tones down treble and enhance the bass.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 1:50 PM Post #33,777 of 101,685
My favorite tip is the Sony hybrid which has a similar effect on bass and treble. They are getting quite hard to find these days. Lots of knock offs but actual real Sony tips are hard to come by.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #33,778 of 101,685
Technica all about the wireless... https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=https://www.audio-technica.co.jp/release/release_detail.php?releaseId=214&prev=search
slide-audio-tecnica.jpg

Cans do look good and they have gotten to 40 hours wireless for the smaller to midsize cans. New BT amp looks pretty nice.
img_53910.jpg

img_53900.jpg

img_53892.jpg

Those look very nice. You had steered me towards the ATH-AR3BT's, and I really like them (SQ, looks, not too expensive). The only concern was that they apparently don't isolate very well, and one of the main reasons I want BT headphones is for the gym (I know, I know.. IEMs would work better). And because the AR3BT's were getting me into $150CAD territory, I then found a few other good contenders, and the prices kept going up and up, and I could tell that I would spend the rest of the year waffling. So I went back to my original "get a $50CAD pair of BT headphones for the gym to test the BT waters with" premise and got the August EP650's for $57 CAD:

August-EP650-Best-Bluetooth-Headphones-for-the-Price.jpg

I really like: price, weight, comfort, aesthetics are fine imo, foldability, isolation seems good (but still need to do the gym test), ability to use wired as well, hiss is not very prevalent.

I've had them on for about an hour. It's safe to say that they don't sound like the AT's lol. They sound decent though, especially for the price (much better than the $40 BT iems that I have and can't really handle using for music). The good thing is that they don't sound thin and the highs aren't sibilant. The main niggle is that they are fairly bass heavy (more than anticipated). EQ'ing is helping a lot to tame it though, and the bass in general might come in handy at the gym. I am enjoying the Daft Punk at the moment and as long as I don't throw on my Nighthawks to compare them to, I think I might be fine!

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping them as my "throw in the gym bag" of BT headphones, and judging by how much I'm enjoying them right now (and the lack of being tethered by cords), I might very well be throwing them on more often. I can see however that a pair of nice AT BT headphones (or the like) might be in my future :)

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #33,780 of 101,685
Those look very nice. You had steered me towards the ATH-AR3BT's, and I really like them (SQ, looks, not too expensive). The only concern was that they apparently don't isolate very well, and one of the main reasons I want BT headphones is for the gym (I know, I know.. IEMs would work better). And because the AR3BT's were getting me into $150CAD territory, I then found a few other good contenders, and the prices kept going up and up, and I could tell that I would spend the rest of the year waffling. So I went back to my original "get a $50CAD pair of BT headphones for the gym to test the BT waters with" premise and got the August EP650's for $57 CAD:

I really like: price, weight, comfort, aesthetics are fine imo, foldability, isolation seems good (but still need to do the gym test), ability to use wired as well, hiss is not very prevalent.

I've had them on for about an hour. It's safe to say that they don't sound like the AT's lol. They sound decent though, especially for the price (much better than the $40 BT iems that I have and can't really handle using for music). The good thing is that they don't sound thin and the highs aren't sibilant. The main niggle is that they are fairly bass heavy (more than anticipated). EQ'ing is helping a lot to tame it though, and the bass in general might come in handy at the gym. I am enjoying the Daft Punk at the moment and as long as I don't throw on my Nighthawks to compare them to, I think I might be fine!

I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping them as my "throw in the gym bag" of BT headphones, and judging by how much I'm enjoying them right now (and the lack of being tethered by cords), I might very well be throwing them on more often. I can see however that a pair of nice AT BT headphones (or the like) might be in my future :)

Yep, the AR3 have those skinny pads. ~70mm but yet a ~40mm opening and only 11 or 12mm thick so swapping to 70 or 75mm with a thicker 16 or 17mm depth and 36 or 37mm opening will help with the isolation by getting more surface area on ya to seal better. I would have said to spend the $6 or $8 for some pads first :)
Like these or some such: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-100mm-...hash=item4b1242f182:m:mntK6mziyxd8krTVEgZJ1_A

Pioneer SEC-CLV20 dual dynamic carbon nanotube coating diaphragm
https://item.jd.com/4902963.html
https://world.tmall.com/item/557245349039.htm
8iGkDlT.jpg

Cool, nice find! Seems a Chinese model as I don't find it anywhere else. Not sure it is an upgrade or worth it to get having a CH9T already but you should certainly post about them in the Chinese brand thread as well :) Saw these pics of them...
564a3f8ccf4a4754a8b9830678afa9f8d3114d30

dab1bd90a9d12896ee3de8672882f0acc5866284

China Pioneer does some of their own thing with their own models. They had that cool looking micro driver with the triangle-ish shape. Seem like this may be the $100 Chinese model instead of the CH9T.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back