The discovery thread!
Oct 5, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #33,782 of 101,560
Chinese Pioneer

1x4cl5.jpg

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:13 AM Post #33,786 of 101,560
It's just personal preferance. I like a bit more warmth. I still like the T2 but it wouldn't be my first choice.

You try using comply tips and in balanced? Balanced is interesting as it seems to fill in the bass parts that seem a bit weak on the sound. I agree with you that the bass is a bit on the lean side. Complys seems to add a touch of warmth to the sound and the bass end fills out better in balanced mode. In fact I was listening to my X5iii in balanced mode with these and the sound overall is one of the best I have heard in balanced mode. Due to the sound being relatively neutral and clean. It sounds awesome in balanced mode.

Do they have the same driver? The shell is made out of plastic and as far as my knowledge goes, I think plastic doesn't has poor acoustic properties compared to wood or metal.

Not a 100% sure if it is all plastic but to be honest materials take second importance to how the earphone is tuned IMO. Some of the highest end earphones are in plastic housings and cost way more than any of the MEE Audio earphones. From sound description on their web site it is supped to be tuned for a smooth detailed sound with a slight empahsis on bass.

It looks like it is using the same drivers and tech as the Pinnacle P1 with a slightly different tune.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:28 AM Post #33,787 of 101,560
You try using comply tips and in balanced? Balanced is interesting as it seems to fill in the bass parts that seem a bit weak on the sound. I agree with you that the bass is a bit on the lean side. Complys seems to add a touch of warmth to the sound and the bass end fills out better in balanced mode. In fact I was listening to my X5iii in balanced mode with these and the sound overall is one of the best I have heard in balanced mode. Due to the sound being relatively neutral and clean. It sounds awesome in balanced mode.

Not a 100% sure if it is all plastic but to be honest materials take second importance to how the earphone is tuned IMO. Some of the highest end earphones are in plastic housings and cost way more than any of the MEE Audio earphones. From sound description on their web site it is supped to be tuned for a smooth detailed sound with a slight empahsis on bass.

It looks like it is using the same drivers and tech as the Pinnacle P1 with a slightly different tune.
Comply tips are not big enough for my mutant ears so it's silicone all day ere' day.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #33,788 of 101,560
Aha. I believe they make large round ones that should work. I forget what comply number it is but. You notice they come with those blue comply like foams attached to them when you first get them? I think they tuned them with the complys in mind.

The complys in most earphones I used them on seems to let in a bit or air to the sound which don't work well with some earphones but with the T2s it seems to give a slight warmth. Cut down on a touch of treble glare and add a smidgen of bass. I litteraly tried my box of tips and ended up liking the sound of the complys the best. Then there is balanced which gives more dimensionality to the sound. I suppose it is not really worth buying a pair of complys for the T2s but I would go balanced and try them out that way if you have a source that does balanced.

It will surprise you.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #33,789 of 101,560
So a bit of good news regarding the new Shangling M3s. Seems very promising as reported by our good friend Dr Blue. Got his player last night and he was exuberant to say the least about the sound of the player. Which is definitely a good sign.

Seems like it might take the best bang for buck crown for a dedicated music player to date. I will receive my titanium/ black M3s today. Will report back with how they sound once I get them running.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #33,790 of 101,560
Decided to wear something different on the train and at the office today :wink:
20171006_085224_HDR.jpg
Felt a bit dorky on the train and glad cubicle is hidden away from everyone but man is it nice to listen to music with! Course if my damn Z5 hadn't died because of the horrible MMCX cables I would have this kind of sound and be way less conspicuous.

DS how would you say the DM5 compares to the Z5?

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #33,791 of 101,560
Hopefully nobody gets mad with this question. How are the KZ earphones like the ZS6? Aside from them being a complete ripoff shell wise are they any good? I keep reading that they have massive treble spikes that scare me a bit...

Anyone able to compare them to the DM5, Z5 possibly?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:26 AM Post #33,792 of 101,560
So a bit of good news regarding the new Shangling M3s. Seems very promising as reported by our good friend Dr Blue. Got his player last night and he was exuberant to say the least about the sound of the player. Which is definitely a good sign.

Seems like it might take the best bang for buck crown for a dedicated music player to date. I will receive my titanium/ black M3s today. Will report back with how they sound once I get them running.

Excellent! I'm mainly interested in knowing how the M3s compares to the Cayin N3 and whether or not it is worth the upgrade in price (at this point, the "balanced" option is not important to me since I only have one pair of balanced headphones).

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #33,793 of 101,560
Excellent! I'm mainly interested in knowing how the M3s compares to the Cayin N3 and whether or not it is worth the upgrade in price (at this point, the "balanced" option is not important to me since I only have one pair of balanced headphones).

Planning to do a quick comparison over the weekend, maybe will have "first look" write up early next week. For sure, many people are interested how M3s compares to M2s and N3, should be the main focus of this comparison. I mean, you can get a lot of first impressions already from Nik and Pinky over at M3s official thread, they both got M3s last Friday, mine arrived only on Monday. Between M2s and N3, I personally prefer the sound of N3 and the design of M2s. From a very short listening, M3s sounds like a refined version of M2s, exterior design is nearly identical except about an inch longer (which actually feels more comfortable in my hand), and you get dual DAC, balanced output, and 0.3 ohm output impedance, and I think a few more DAC filters to select. Definitely worth the upgrade from M2s, plus Musicteck has an offer now with a free leather case. Regarding M3s vs N3, need to listen side-by-side, could be a close call, but don't quote me until I spend more time with both.

With the regard to the best bang for the buck, Opus#1 for $319 with a free Dignis leather case is still one heck of a deal (again, current musicteck promotion) - you get internal storage and dual microSD, balanced output, and full touch screen which add to the value, though it's not as compact as M3s.

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #33,794 of 101,560
Planning to do a quick comparison over the weekend, maybe will have "first look" write up early next week. For sure, many people are interested how M3s compares to M2s and N3, should be the main focus of this comparison. I mean, you can get a lot of first impressions already from Nik and Pinky over at M3s official thread, they both got M3s last Friday, mine arrived only on Monday. Between M2s and N3, I personally prefer the sound of N3 and the design of M2s. From a very short listening, M3s sounds like a refined version of M2s, exterior design is nearly identical except about an inch longer (which actually feels more comfortable in my hand), and you get dual DAC, balanced output, and 0.3 ohm output impedance, and I think a few more DAC filters to select. Definitely worth the upgrade from M2s, plus Musicteck has an offer now with a free leather case. Regarding M3s vs N3, need to listen side-by-side, could be a close call, but don't quote me until I spend more time with both.

Awesome, thanks. It will say loads about the N3 if it does end up being a "close call".

With the regard to the best bang for the buck, Opus#1 for $319 with a free Dignis leather case is still one heck of a deal (again, current musicteck promotion) - you get internal storage and dual microSD, balanced output, and full touch screen which add to the value, though it's not as compact as M3s.

That's good info as well. At the moment for me though, the ability to control the N3/M3s remotely from your phone via bluetooth and the hibylink is something that I'm looking for. And the ability to do bluetooth streaming would probably come in handy as well (for those times when I want to get depressed and stream CNN from my phone).

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #33,795 of 101,560
Yep, the AR3 have those skinny pads. ~70mm but yet a ~40mm opening and only 11 or 12mm thick so swapping to 70 or 75mm with a thicker 16 or 17mm depth and 36 or 37mm opening will help with the isolation by getting more surface area on ya to seal better. I would have said to spend the $6 or $8 for some pads first :)
Like these or some such: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50mm-100mm-...hash=item4b1242f182:m:mntK6mziyxd8krTVEgZJ1_A

I'm sure you're right. Those AR3's seem like they would be awesome for the price. And if different pads could get them isolating better, then all the better.

But I'm gonna give these EP650's a chance. If I couldn't EQ them, they would be on their way back to amazon right now. I'm a bit of an anti-EQ snob, but the EP650's demanded EQ'ing, so I bit my tongue and tried it. The good thing is that the phone remembers the EQ settings based on bluetooth headphone, so I don't have to keep dicking around with the EQ when I switch to different headphones, so that's good. And now, somewhat surprisingly, I've been surprisingly enjoying the EP650's since yesterday and thinking they'll be more than adequate for the gym. I'll have to compare them to the Vmoda M100's that I usually use at the gym (that should be interesting!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back