The discovery thread!
Oct 6, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #33,796 of 103,533
So a bit of good news regarding the new Shangling M3s. Seems very promising as reported by our good friend Dr Blue. Got his player last night and he was exuberant to say the least about the sound of the player. Which is definitely a good sign.

Seems like it might take the best bang for buck crown for a dedicated music player to date. I will receive my titanium/ black M3s today. Will report back with how they sound once I get them running.
super impressed right out of the box! hearing things ive never heard before on Tom Petty's HYPNOTIC EYE (layering, extra background instruments, voice tone, etc). on acoustic music recorded by a wizard friend, Seth Hoffman, sounded like he was in my head.....all on Trinity Masters.....which never sounded so good. now burning the M3s in, sound is changing slightly overnight, treble is
enhancing, getting a bit bright, but i expect some variations in sound as unit stabilizes in different ways..... build and fit and finish are solid....case is great...all in all seems
like breakthrough device....will hear balanced output today........as a sound shaman i am delighted with its ability to let me hear INTO the music and the overall musicallity of the M3s...

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #33,797 of 103,533
Planning to do a quick comparison over the weekend, maybe will have "first look" write up early next week. For sure, many people are interested how M3s compares to M2s and N3, should be the main focus of this comparison. I mean, you can get a lot of first impressions already from Nik and Pinky over at M3s official thread, they both got M3s last Friday, mine arrived only on Monday. Between M2s and N3, I personally prefer the sound of N3 and the design of M2s. From a very short listening, M3s sounds like a refined version of M2s, exterior design is nearly identical except about an inch longer (which actually feels more comfortable in my hand), and you get dual DAC, balanced output, and 0.3 ohm output impedance, and I think a few more DAC filters to select. Definitely worth the upgrade from M2s, plus Musicteck has an offer now with a free leather case. Regarding M3s vs N3, need to listen side-by-side, could be a close call, but don't quote me until I spend more time with both.

With the regard to the best bang for the buck, Opus#1 for $319 with a free Dignis leather case is still one heck of a deal (again, current musicteck promotion) - you get internal storage and dual microSD, balanced output, and full touch screen which add to the value, though it's not as compact as M3s.
Can you please post a link here to musictec store , thanks .

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #33,798 of 103,533
super impressed right out of the box! hearing things ive never heard before on Tom Petty's HYPNOTIC EYE (layering, extra background instruments, voice tone, etc). on acoustic music recorded by a wizard friend, Seth Hoffman, sounded like he was in my head.....all on Trinity Masters.....which never sounded so good. now burning the M3s in, sound is changing slightly overnight, treble is
enhancing, getting a bit bright, but i expect some variations in sound as unit stabilizes in different ways..... build and fit and finish are solid....case is great...all in all seems
like breakthrough device....will hear balanced output today........as a sound shaman i am delighted with its ability to let me hear INTO the music and the overall musicallity of the M3s...

Just curious, what DAP/source are you comparing it to?

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:51 PM Post #33,799 of 103,533
Hopefully nobody gets mad with this question. How are the KZ earphones like the ZS6? Aside from them being a complete ripoff shell wise are they any good? I keep reading that they have massive treble spikes that scare me a bit...

Anyone able to compare them to the DM5, Z5 possibly?

I haven't done a proper comparison between them yet but I can tell you the DM5 is not as refined in the sound as the Z5 but you would expect that for being $65 vs $500 earphone. Similar sound balancing between the two. The bass end is closer to each other than you would imagine in that both have a full bass end that are refined. I want to say the Z5 has the edge here as well but it will surprise you how close the bass presentation and ability graphene drivers have on the DM5. The mids and treble is where the DM5 is not as good as the Z5. Proprietary BA drivers on the Sony earphones are 2nd to none in my opinion espcially that silky smooth treble. The DM5 is more forward in treble and the BAs in the DM5 are definitley more sensitive to sources than the Sonys. Here is where sources/ cables and tips matter.

Stage is not as good as the Z5 but the DM5 has excellent sense of space to make up for it. Both sound excellent in balanced but again Z5 has it going on in all levels of sound.
DM5 might not be a world beater and will not compete with higher end hybrids but they certainly compete in the lower mid fi category $200- $300 in sound easily.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:56 PM Post #33,800 of 103,533
Oct 6, 2017 at 1:01 PM Post #33,801 of 103,533
Comparing M3s to midlevel and older DAPs, Pono player, Calyx M, HTC 10 out into Mojo,
HTC 10 out into PH3, etc. i dont have access to AK TOTL gear or newer DAPs, other than
Shanling M1 (which M3s blows away of course) and xDuo 10 which is far brighter and
less detailed...I listen a lot to studio grade full size sound systems and headphone systems that are custom made
by Mojo Audio laboratories (won best of show at Chicago Axponia, eg.) and the M3s has the
musicality i look for in musical gear, it hypnotized me to sit and LISTEN to the music unfolding
in ways which other DAPS have not.....
Just curious, what DAP/source are you comparing it to?

Oct 6, 2017 at 2:28 PM Post #33,802 of 103,533
Thanks DS, it would truly be miraculous if the DM5 could replace my Z5 lol. But if it can give me a reasonable approximation that would be a coup especially for such a ridiculously low cost. I think I am going to just order on of the DM5.

I really want to try to move the Z5 guts into another IEM though even if it costs $100 to have someone do it for me since I am out $700 if I just throw them away and damn it the Z5 just sounds to good for that!

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #33,803 of 103,533
I would see if you can get them repaired. I bet it can be done. Try reaching out to Sony. I am certain they have had returns of thier MMCX iems and probably had to get them repaired to sell off for refurbished items.

You never know.

Oct 6, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #33,805 of 103,533
Ok gents. It has been a while since I attended the RMAF Can Jam. Been 2 years I think. I just found out I will be attending here in an hour. Will report with any surprises at the show. I am sure there will be a few.

DS--be sure to visit the "Quiet Zone Headphone listening Room" run by Ben Zweikel from Mojo Audio. He has the latest cans from Mr Speakers, Hi Fi Man, and other top manufactuers
as well as his Mystique V3 DAC (which i haven't even heard yet) and Illuminati Power supply (which i have and is transformative to high end headphone amps). Ben is quite the digital designer
and appreciator of high end sound!!!

Oct 6, 2017 at 11:23 PM Post #33,806 of 103,533
Ya it is crazy to see so much high end audio in one room. Got in for the last 2 hours of the first day and I got to try out a few things. Fiio was the first stop and I tried out their new X7ii. Had my PX earphone with me and I brought my X5iii. Fiio guys was happy to see I was carrying around an X5iii. Plugged in my PX to the X7ii in the balanced slot and whala. That expansive balanced sound was immense. I can immediately tell it was a higher end sound coming out of the player especially in balanced mode. Was very impressed with how that sounded using my PX. If I would have known the X7ii was going to be out so soon after the X5iii I would have waited and payed a bit more for it but as it is I am still very happy with my X5iii. Don't plan on selling it and upgrading.

So I got home and found out they tried to deliver my M3s and have it at the post office so I have to go pick it up tomorrow so no M3s for me.

Right next to Fiio was a new company I have never heard before called Periodic Audio. So basis for these guys is they have 3 different single dynamic earphones each with different elements for drivers. The Base one was a Magnesium standard 10mm driver earphones with some immense bass @ $100
mg_photo_sm.png

their next earphone had titanium driver with cost $200 and then their flagship model which cost $300 made of Beryllium.. So the stock one was way bassy. The titanium model was their neutral signature and evenly balanced. Their Beryllium one was a mesh of both. Full bass with solid detail. For $300?
be_photo_sm.png
A bit spendy for the sound imo. Can't say I was impressed with any of these.

Enough hokey stuff. I got to a serious high end audio table. A nice guy from a company called oBravo
erib-2c1-660x440.jpg

These are high end planar earphones and I gotta say these sounded spectacular. $1600 for this ceramic model shown here. I got to test out a wood housing one and an aluminum one as well. Apparently high end does not come cheap. The fullness of sound the crazy detail, rich deep sound with immense stage all around you. I bet they sound even better in more of a quiet location but I left impressed with how these things sound. Don't plan on buying one any time soon but I can understand their cost point.

Listened to few of the RHA models which always sounded nice but the previous table kinda ruined me a bit. Then I got to the Beyerdynamic table. Oh yes now we are talking. Spoke to some of the fellas there and I got to listen to their flagship The T1 gen 2 as well as the Amiron Home. Both sounded spectacular. What left me smiling actually was that my DT1990 was not too far off from these 2. The Amirons had the best sound stage out of the 3 cans and the best detail went to the T1 gen 2s but my DT1990 was kind of the middle between these 2. What I was really surprised here was with their Xelento earphones. WOW so them previous high end ceramic planars I was listening to just got their match. The Xelentos sounded unbelievable. Sounds like a full sized can but they are much smaller in person and is extremely comfortable in ears. I almost swindled their sales manager to flow me a review unit Lol. That is in the works. But needless to say. Portable Tesla drivers in ears just is a great idea and guys that are looking for a solid high end earphone that is actually worth the money I would say the Xelentos were one of the better values believe it or not.

Then there was the Fostex table. Got to take a listen to their flagship Th900Mk2 in their limited edition green color forgot what they call the color. These things sounded very nice playing out of their amplifier. Though I have to admit it is a higher end sound over my lowly TH-X00 but don't know if I actually enjoyed the sound that much more.

Next was the Noble table. Got to hear the Kaiser Encore. Nice earphones. So much detail it was mind boggling but I suppose that is what 10 drivers per ear will get you. Expensive and more expensive. I haven't even got to Hifiman or many others and my 2 hours was done. Thanks to the Beyer guys giving us a scientific explanation of what makes for a great sound. Never got to hear the new Focal cans or did I get to hear Jerry Harvy stuff. Started walking toward the Shangling booth to hear the M3s but no they started wrapping stuff. This is what I get for trying to get in on some can jam after work on a Friday.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #33,807 of 103,533
DS--be sure to visit the "Quiet Zone Headphone listening Room" run by Ben Zweikel from Mojo Audio. He has the latest cans from Mr Speakers, Hi Fi Man, and other top manufactuers
as well as his Mystique V3 DAC (which i haven't even heard yet) and Illuminati Power supply (which i have and is transformative to high end headphone amps). Ben is quite the digital designer
and appreciator of high end sound!!!

Sorry my friend didn't get to see or hear much. Just caught the last 2 hours before they closed up the show. I suppose they have to close everything up at 7:00PM so people that are doing the show can get their drink on. What a life. Show your wares. Get your party on. Show your wares again. Get more party on. Mix and repeat. Go to next city show your wares. Get more drink on. Aha what a life.

Oh I forgot I got to try the Fostex T60Rp which is their newest planar headphones. These sounded very nice but they are trying out 2 different tunings. One with a more full and rich sound vs one that was more a reference neutral type sound. We got to vote which tuning we liked. I voted for the rich sound.

And Beyers newest headphones are going to be bluetooth headphones think DT1350s with bluetooth and some crazy tech that adapts to your hearing. Didn't get into it much as I was looking at their Xelentos the whole time the guy was talking to me about their new bluetooth headphones.

Was these things.
aventho-thumbnail_2.jpg

Aventho wireless
  • Applies personal sound profile powered by Mimi directly in the headphones
  • Highly efficient miniaturized Tesla technology drivers
  • First-class Bluetooth connection (Qualcomm® aptXTM HD and AAC)
  • Easy handling of all personal features via the MIY app
  • More than 20 hours playing time
  • Touchpad integrated in right ear cup
  • Includes a hands-free microphone
  • Handcrafted "Made in Germany"

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 1:09 AM Post #33,810 of 103,533
Sorry my friend didn't get to see or hear much. Just caught the last 2 hours before they closed up the show. I suppose they have to close everything up at 7:00PM so people that are doing the show can get their drink on. What a life. Show your wares. Get your party on. Show your wares again. Get more party on. Mix and repeat. Go to next city show your wares. Get more drink on. Aha what a life.

Oh I forgot I got to try the Fostex T60Rp which is their newest planar headphones. These sounded very nice but they are trying out 2 different tunings. One with a more full and rich sound vs one that was more a reference neutral type sound. We got to vote which tuning we liked. I voted for the rich sound.

And Beyers newest headphones are going to be bluetooth headphones think DT1350s with bluetooth and some crazy tech that adapts to your hearing. Didn't get into it much as I was looking at their Xelentos the whole time the guy was talking to me about their new bluetooth headphones.

Was these things.
aventho-thumbnail_2.jpg

Aventho wireless
  • Applies personal sound profile powered by Mimi directly in the headphones
  • Highly efficient miniaturized Tesla technology drivers
  • First-class Bluetooth connection (Qualcomm® aptXTM HD and AAC)
  • Easy handling of all personal features via the MIY app
  • More than 20 hours playing time
  • Touchpad integrated in right ear cup
  • Includes a hands-free microphone
  • Handcrafted "Made in Germany"
Bro , did you manage to stick dm5 to the x7 2 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back