The discovery thread!
Oct 7, 2017 at 3:00 PM Post #33,826 of 106,820
image.jpg
So I went a completely different direction today. I recently switched phone providers and upgraded everyone in my family to new cell phone and saved money on monthly costs to boot. In the process I ended up with $700 in gift card money at the electronics store.

So today I used some of that to buy a pair of these babies... After I made the store price match another store with an extra 15% off the difference I got them for $305CAD which is about $230US. So feeling very good with myself :).

Out of the box the HE400i is damned impressive! The bass is not a big as some of my stuff but it's still very nice and damn the mids and treble are sweet and the imaging is simply stellar. Aside from doing 1 week reviews and listening at Head-if meets this my first planar headphone I have bought. Probably won't be the last...

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #33,827 of 106,820

So I went a completely different direction today. I recently switched phone providers and upgraded everyone in my family to new cell phone and saved money on monthly costs to boot. In the process I ended up with $700 in gift card money at the electronics store.

So today I used some of that to buy a pair of these babies... After I made the store price match another store with an extra 15% off the difference I got them for $305CAD which is about $230US. So feeling very good with myself :).

Out of the box the HE400i is damned impressive! The bass is not a big as some of my stuff but it's still very nice and damn the mids and treble are sweet and the imaging is simply stellar. Aside from doing 1 week reviews and listening at Head-if meets this my first planar headphone I have bought. Probably won't be the last...

You should transplant your Z5 innards into those...you can't make an omelette without breaking some legs!

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #33,828 of 106,820
Really??:ksc75smile: These innards...
z5_img3.jpg

Should he swap out the Planar drivers for the 16mm dynamics or are we adding to it? :blush:

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:55 PM Post #33,829 of 106,820
Lol I will think about that Selenium :). Taking DS's advice I am seeing if I can get the Z5 repaired though so will know more information Monday.

Buying good headphones from electronics stores is pretty hard in Canada so buying the HE400i was pretty much my best bet. I just needed to wait until I could leverage the best price possible by forcing the store to price match which gave me that extra 15% off the difference which gave me an additional $45 savings.

Now I am deciding whether to buy a Pono balanced cable from Surf Cables.

Oct 7, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #33,831 of 106,820
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #33,832 of 106,820

Interesting, I have been wanting to hear the 400i for a while. Ended up getting the Meze 99 Neo a couple of weeks ago, same price. Love them but thought about it last night and there isn't much difference between them on my Pioneer HRM6 besides Neo having a bigger bass and slightly more spacious sound. Ordered the 400i today, I'll either return the 400i or the Neo. 400i were same day delivery so should be here in a few hours :D

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #33,833 of 106,820
Lol I will think about that Selenium :). Taking DS's advice I am seeing if I can get the Z5 repaired though so will know more information Monday.

Buying good headphones from electronics stores is pretty hard in Canada so buying the HE400i was pretty much my best bet. I just needed to wait until I could leverage the best price possible by forcing the store to price match which gave me that extra 15% off the difference which gave me an additional $45 savings.

Now I am deciding whether to buy a Pono balanced cable from Surf Cables.

I got a different balanced cable for my Pono, but. If I remember correctly, John Atkinson of Stereophile used Surf Cables for his Pono and liked it. I'd definitely recommend going balanced on the Pono.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #33,834 of 106,820
Which cable did you get? The surf cable is nice but pretty expensive running at $120CAD so alterantive options would be great.

Oct 7, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #33,835 of 106,820
Not an option any more, I got the Trinity cable when it was discontinued... I'd look into clearance, maybe ask if some have some they need to get rid of (Pono isn't a rousing success, I got a balanced cable for my Cardas iem for nothing when I bought the headphones at NY CanJam).

Oct 7, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #33,837 of 106,820
Finally got my M3s blasting out of my DM5. WHOLY Moses.! This sound with these 2 jives like no other. Completely blowing my mind how good this combo sounds. This is with the first 2 tunes and in single end. Lol. Gonna let the player play for a bit and let the sound settle.

A bit excited how good this sounds. Don't recall myself having this same reaction when I first played the X5iii,. This thing sounds silly. This don't sound like no DAP. It sounds like a full blown desktop. Oh geeze man. I could not have imagined how good this player sounds. Completely blew away my expectation and that is on first tune out of the box.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back