The discovery thread!
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #33,841 of 103,248
DM5 bass end comes to life on this player. It sounds crazy on this player. Love how small the player is.
Waiting to hear more impressions. Seems like the perfect little device for balanced.

Oct 7, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #33,843 of 103,248
Oct 7, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #33,845 of 103,248
Man I aint gonna lie. This player is no joke. Its not the X7ii I was listening to last night but you would expect that from a player that don't even cost half the price.

I am listening to it in balanced out using my PX. This sounds fantastic in balanced about as good as I have ever heard balanced out. The player has exceeded my expectation on how it sounds. Thus far it takes one of the most musical DAC chips in the AK4490. Throw in another for a good measure. Has a fullness to the sound that I am familiar with the chips from hearing the X5iii which uses the same chips. Shanglings version however has a dynamic quality to it that was unexpected.

I can hear the similarities in dac chips but it is the implementation here that actually sounds even more musical than the X5iii. In comparison there is a bit more lushness to the music. Stage I want to say is similar but will wait till it gets a weeks worth of use before final thoughts. Detail is there but it has a rangy fullness to the sound quality that is absolutely addictive.

As crazy as this sounds even though I have a more expensive player in the X5iii. I cant say it is an upgrade in sound over the M3s. I am very surprised on just how good the sound is out of this player.

Another aspect I can pick out. I think it has a darker background vs the X5iii. Sounds a touch cleaner especially in balanced mode. Sound expands accordingly in balanced. It sounds fantastic. I think guys that are willing to give this new M3s a try will be pleasantly surprised

Oh and guys that love their bass. This player spanks the X5iii in lower fuller deep bass. This is without EQ. Will have to give it more time but I can already tell the sound is more dynamic over the X5iii. Especially the bass and having a lower noise floor. And I thought the X5iii was a great value when I got it. Sure this player has no android capabilities. I couldnt care less. The SQ easily makes up for it.

Love how quick everything is on this player too. No 4 minute wait time till I can start playing music. everything is instant. With the X5iii I feel sometimes I need to stack an amp with it to get it sounding more dynamic. Not so much with the M3s. This thing is brilliant. Will have more observations as the player gets some work in. I can already tell the battery is much better on this as well.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #33,846 of 103,248
The nozzle on my DM5(right side) is moving around a little(as in they can be pulled out away from the body of the earphone)...do you guys think that's worth sending it back for? Probably just a miniscule dab of superglue would fix it

Oct 7, 2017 at 11:17 PM Post #33,848 of 103,248
I really dig the M1 just wish there was a version with balanced. I'd rather have that than bluetooth.
This has balanced in all its glory according to some, in this price point.

Oct 8, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #33,850 of 103,248
Hmmm. Gonna have to add it to my short list then. Anything else with a similar size as the Sansa Clip with balanced?
Not that i am aware of right away

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:06 AM Post #33,853 of 103,248
Well... This is annoying. Yes, that's the dual-BA poking out thanks to the nozzle coming off.
29du7pz.jpg

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:10 AM Post #33,854 of 103,248
The smallest DAP with balanced out that I know of is the Acoustic Research AR-M200.

couldn't find dimensions for that but it looks kinda chunky in pictures... possibly Hifiman Supermini is smaller? I think Shanling M3s, Fiio x3iiii and Cowon plenue R maybe next.

They all look a fair bit bigger than a clip+ though.

Well... This is annoying. Yes, that's the dual-BA poking out thanks to the nozzle coming off.

Is it just me or are those drivers facing INTO the housing?

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2017 at 2:14 AM Post #33,855 of 103,248
29du7pz.jpg
We need to get that together with my Z5 and create a frankenphone :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back