The discovery thread!
May 26, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #103,247 of 106,824
If you are curious, MD Jacques just posted a review for the TRN ST7:
MD Jacques - ST7 Review

Also, while I'm at it, here's another image of the Medusa (provided by SHENZHENAUDIO on X).
GOeGAgEXMAAneES

EDIT: By the way, I just bought the newly released TRN Sea Serpent modular cable (the one bundled with the Medusa for reference). On the AliExpress App, under the coins section, it can currently be bought for around $10 (if you have enough coins). The retail price is around $20. I think it may be worth considering if you are in need of a new QDC cable. Plus, being able to buy a modular cable at this price point is kind of ridiculous.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 162318.png

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #103,249 of 106,824
I step away from this thread for less than a day and I’m 25 pages behind ?

Anywaaayyyyy, I’m at a crossroads.

Thieaudio Hype 4 or (the just released) Dunu DaVinci and (this time) I’m only buying one of ‘em. Most of the reviews of the Hype 4 sound right, for my Basshead needs. Except “Super Reviews”, who feels the playback is more on the neutral side; as he is low end divergent. I would expect him to complain about the sub and lower bass, if the Hype 4 were to qualify for bassheads. But then again, his observations can be less than accurate. As I saw in one of his recent videos, he doesn’t use any balanced cables !!!

Hopefully, by the time I catch up with this thread, someone will have compared the Hype 4 & the DaVinci :pray:

May 26, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #103,253 of 106,824
Great God Circle...
I don't know which god they worship in Xinhs… discount god 88%…a lot of circles
If you got the cash to throw $300+ at it, then GO FOR IT! It's from the XINHS store, and it's also got very high rating and it's not fly by night, so it seems like it would be a legit deal??
Current Top Three

1000013559.jpg
I spy one of my favorites in there!! You got great taste in IEM's and a good musical ear/talent.
Wait a minute...I just checked out Lynnwood.
You are almost in Seattle (my wife's favourite city in the US) and are a fan of the Lakers and not the Supersonics?

What a disappointment.

Shawn Kemp was one of my favourite players in the NBA.
I loved Supersonics.
Ajajajaj...

Let me know when you become a Sonics fan.
Until then, I will not take you seriously. :wink:

Cheers!
The Supersonics are now the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Sonics left Seattle a decade ago. The city is hoping and wishing for a new team, and it's probably going to happen, but not until the end of this decade?
Hey everyone, the DUNU DaVinci finally arrived, and I wanted to share my initial impressions

Here is my full review for those who want more details and comparisons: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/dunu-davinci.27228/reviews

IMG_20240525_180151.jpg
  • Aesthetics & Build:
    • Stunning faceplates with a beautiful wooden look.
    • Slightly large earshells but comfortable with an excellent fit. I can wear it for hours without any discomfort.
graph - 2024-05-26T171558.078.png
  • Bass:
    • Balanced sound signature with a bass boost and warmth.
    • Bass is a few dBs more than what I would call neutral.
    • Excellent sub-bass response with satisfying rumble.
    • Punchy mid-bass with a very strong slam, thump, and impact.
    • Tactile bass you can feel as well as hear. The bass is very satisfying.
  • Mid-range:
    • Warm lower mid-range.
    • Bass adds thickness to male vocals, enriching them and making instruments sound full-bodied.
    • Meaty mid-range, making piano notes and instruments sound full.
    • Balanced vocals, neither recessed nor forward.
    • Detailed female vocals with good extension, without sounding thick or husky.
  • Treble & Technicalities:
    • Good treble extension—smooth and detailed, with no sibilance.
    • Good technicalities and detail retrieval.
Notes:
  • The bass is the star of the show here.
  • Strong bass presence across all genres. It grabs your attention more than the other sound frequencies.
  • Works wonderfully across various genres, from classical, hip hop, and EDM to pop, rock, and metal.
Personal preference:
  • Bass is a few dBs above my personal listening preference.
  • I prefer slightly more forward vocals to balance the bass and enhance vocal clarity.
Listening example
Listening to Johnny Cash's "Hurt" on the DUNU DaVinci was marvelous. The natural thickness in Johnny's voice, combined with excellent imaging and instrument separation, sounded beautiful. The acoustic guitar strums moved from left to right with clarity, enhancing the fullness of his sound.

Congratulations to DUNU and Gizaudio! In my opinion, they've hit a home run with this one. This is an excellent and well-tuned IEM. Is it the best under $500? Maybe not, but it’s definitely one of the best under $500.
Looks like a winner boss!

Every time I see these in photographs, they tug at my heartstrings. Absolutely gorgeous, and I'm a sucker for wood (I get woodies all the time! heh). The bass thing is a bit scary though...

May 26, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #103,254 of 106,824
Looks like a winner boss!

Thanks for sharing this. Listening to him, he's speaking my language. I've seen about 5-6 videos on the Project M, but this guy actually got into some details about the midrange and treble that was explained in a way, where it got my attention. He's describing every detail of what I find attractive aurally in my preferences, and this seems to have been a project designed for ME in mind. The Project FWAL is about 4 days away from my doorstep! Bring it on!

May 26, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #103,255 of 106,824
Thanks for sharing this. Listening to him, he's speaking my language. I've seen about 5-6 videos on the Project M, but this guy actually got into some details about the midrange and treble that was explained in a way, where it got my attention. He's describing every detail of what I find attractive aurally in my preferences, and this seems to have been a project designed for ME in mind. The Project FWAL is about 4 days away from my doorstep! Bring it on!
: - ) I also got v tempted after that video! Hope it's a beaut that you enjoy a lot.

May 26, 2024 at 1:59 PM Post #103,256 of 106,824
The white and gold ST7 is downright gorgeous!
That's the version I got, and I can confirm it looks amazing in person, and fits like a glove. The shells are tiny, the resin is well contoured, and it's crazy how they can fit 7 drivers in that tiny little shell.

May 26, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #103,257 of 106,824
If you are curious, MD Jacques just posted a review for the TRN ST7:
MD Jacques - ST7 Review

Also, while I'm at it, here's another image of the Medusa (provided by SHENZHENAUDIO on X).
GOeGAgEXMAAneES

EDIT: By the way, I just bought the newly released TRN Sea Serpent modular cable (the one bundled with the Medusa for reference). On the AliExpress App, under the coins section, it can currently be bought for around $10 (if you have enough coins). The retail price is around $20. I think it may be worth considering if you are in need of a new QDC cable. Plus, being able to buy a modular cable at this price point is kind of ridiculous.

Screenshot 2024-05-26 162318.png
Mine is still snails pacing it over to me. I ordered it at the same time (by one day) as the Conch, and the Conch is now scheduled for delivery on Tuesday (would have typically been by tomorrow, but it's a holiday tomorrow in the USA). Medusa just left China earlier in the day, so this won't reach me until maybe late next week?

May 26, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #103,258 of 106,824
I step away from this thread for less than a day and I’m 25 pages behind ?

Anywaaayyyyy, I’m at a crossroads.

Thieaudio Hype 4 or (the just released) Dunu DaVinci and (this time) I’m only buying one of ‘em. Most of the reviews of the Hype 4 sound right, for my Basshead needs. Except “Super Reviews”, who feels the playback is more on the neutral side; as he is low end divergent. I would expect him to complain about the sub and lower bass, if the Hype 4 were to qualify for bassheads. But then again, his observations can be less than accurate. As I saw in one of his recent videos, he doesn’t use any balanced cables !!!

Hopefully, by the time I catch up with this thread, someone will have compared the Hype 4 & the DaVinci :pray:
You are correct on many aspects of Mark and Super*Review. I enjoy his POV, I dig his reviews, and I even purchased two items based on his review. One was a hit (a Sony DAP) and the other a bit of a miss (an IEM), so he's not exactly infallible, but I still enjoy his effort, and yes, he doesn't use balanced (typically). The reason for this is he usually listens using his Sony DAPS, which are his tentpole DAPS. Sony's are my tentpole, though I use them balanced on occasion because I get them hooked up to amps (for the reasons of POWER, and not a desire for balanced output). So yes, he's more inclined to describe the sound via natural outputs.

May 26, 2024 at 3:02 PM Post #103,259 of 106,824
May 26, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #103,260 of 106,824
I finally ordered the TRN ST7. Fugumikan’s recent review convinced me. He gave it a 5-star rating and highly recommended it. He also confirmed pretty much everything I read about it in other Japanese people’s posts on X. According to him, it is a very well-balanced neutral IEM with a touch of warmth and a very gentle type of presentation. The bass is elastic and very well presented—thanks to the 10mm DLC driver—a more quality-over-quantity approach. As for the high frequencies, there isn’t much sharpness in the top region compared to other TRN products (like the Conch, for example). They aimed to achieve a more sober, cohesive, and spike-free top end. Overall, it tends to offer a very natural and easy-to-listen experience.

Additionally, he surprised me by comparing its sound to more high-end products like the Awful Performer 5. After this comparison, I couldn’t contain my curiosity. I was able to buy it on sale for $24 on AliExpress. A 2DD+5BA composition at this price point—recent TRN cost-performance offering is quite impressive.
Are there any translated Fugumikan reviews for the TRN Medusa...if so have you any links to it? I'm interested in whether the latter's 2nd gen larger (12mm) DD DLC, which in comparison, might improve upon Delci's mid-bass & presumably should extend its stage height & depth ??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back