The discovery thread!
May 26, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #103,261 of 106,824
The difference these can make is well worth the $35. Enjoy the infinite tip-rolling!

Yes, T5S is love. My review should be landing next week and I'm struggling to find drawbacks.

Ooh Explorer looks like an interesting midcentric set, but I'm slightly afraid of that prominent 8kHz in comparison to the rest of the FR.

Thank you, much appreciated, and make sure to follow along since more is to come. Do check out Sinatra's My Way cover linked in my signature as well, should you wish!
I’m sure your TINHFI T5S review will transfer your enthusiasm out to many readrers. That’s just the thing, during a recent review I had an enlightened moment....... hearing TINs relationship with the old TINHIFI C5 to this new T5S, I then realized that they were simply taking the TINHIFI tune and adding warmth to the low-end.......then perfecting the technicalities in the highs and treble to come-up with this new T5S TOTL Flagship sound. That would be a big deal, yet what made this release even more of an achievement was how different the T5S is from TINs original T5 released in May of 2021. TIN went back to the drawing board and finally made this T5S something to be proud of!

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 3:53 PM Post #103,262 of 106,824
May 26, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #103,264 of 106,824
From the reviews coming in from their newer models, this might be an accurate statement? Looks like Simgot is going for a more smooth presentation moving forward, which will please some, and turn away others.
Smoothness coupled with Excitement is the only way to move forward imho....

May 26, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #103,265 of 106,824
I step away from this thread for less than a day and I’m 25 pages behind ?

Anywaaayyyyy, I’m at a crossroads.

Thieaudio Hype 4 or (the just released) Dunu DaVinci and (this time) I’m only buying one of ‘em. Most of the reviews of the Hype 4 sound right, for my Basshead needs. Except “Super Reviews”, who feels the playback is more on the neutral side; as he is low end divergent. I would expect him to complain about the sub and lower bass, if the Hype 4 were to qualify for bassheads. But then again, his observations can be less than accurate. As I saw in one of his recent videos, he doesn’t use any balanced cables !!!

Hopefully, by the time I catch up with this thread, someone will have compared the Hype 4 & the DaVinci :pray:
Sorry I haven't heard the Hype 4 but I have the DaVinci and the bass will definitely satisfy your basshead needs. It's not overtly bassy but it's very tasteful and voluptuous.

May 26, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #103,266 of 106,824
Mine is still snails pacing it over to me. I ordered it at the same time (by one day) as the Conch, and the Conch is now scheduled for delivery on Tuesday (would have typically been by tomorrow, but it's a holiday tomorrow in the USA). Medusa just left China earlier in the day, so this won't reach me until maybe late next week?
I was lucky with mine; they sent it immediately after I ordered it, and it didn’t get stuck at the processing center either. Yesterday, it started the import process in my country. If all goes right, I should receive it within the next week (hopefully in the first half, but with customs, you can never be certain).

From what I understand, chances are you will receive your Medusa around the same time I’ll receive mine, since it didn’t take more than a day for my unit to reach my country. Also, looking on the bright side, in the meantime, you could dedicate more time to the Conch and, eventually, to other incoming IEMs I’m not aware of! 🤣
Are there any translated Fugumikan reviews for the TRN Medusa...if so have you any links to it? I'm interested in whether the latter's 2nd gen larger (12mm) DD DLC, which in comparison, might improve upon Delci's mid-bass & presumably should extend its stage height & depth ??
I’m quite positive Fugumikan has not received the TRN Medusa yet. Anyway, since you’re curious, I asked him on Mond if he plans to review it. I’ll let you know what he says whenever he replies! Also, for the time being, Yurufuwa Audio has indeed received the Medusa (TRN probably sent him a review unit before actually putting it on sale).

If you’re curious, I could translate the first Japanese review available for the Medusa (like I did for the ST7). Even in that case, it was Yurufuwa Audio’s review, since he received it sooner than other reviewers. By the way, he also reviewed the Delci, so there’s a chance he will make a quick comparison between the two (you never know).

EDIT: I almost forgot; chances are that many of us on the forum will receive the Medusa within the next week. So, in any case, by the end of the week, you will probably know how the Medusa sounds and how it compares to the Delci (I also have the Delci, by the way).

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #103,267 of 106,824
I’m quite positive Fugumikan has not received the TRN Medusa yet. Anyway, since you’re curious, I asked him on Mond if he plans to review it. I’ll let you know what he says whenever he replies! Also, for the time being, Yurufuwa Audio has indeed received the Medusa (TRN probably sent him a review unit before actually putting it on sale).

If you’re curious, I could translate the first Japanese review available for the Medusa (like I did for the ST7). Even in that case, it was Yurufuwa Audio’s review, since he received it sooner than other reviewers. By the way, he also reviewed the Delci, so there’s a chance he will make a quick comparison between the two (you never know!)
Hey thanks a lot !!......if Fugumikan reviews it once received will be cool...
Regarding Yurufuwa Audio’s review...I'd appreciate a translation if it won't take up too much of your time ?? Wowser a direct comparison with Delci would be ideal, it seems like the most logical comparison - given both of their configs?? If there's any hint that Medusa's stage is in the same orbital ball-park as ST7 - I'm pulling the trigger this week (- for the Sea Serpent cable alone!)
Back in the day I bought TRN VX (which cos of weird tuning was deemed a marmite set.) Alas I always loved their conch like fit - so am veering towards the Medusa bigtime !!

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #103,268 of 106,824
I was lucky with mine; they sent it immediately after I ordered it, and it didn’t get stuck at the processing center either. Yesterday, it started the import process in my country. If all goes right, I should receive it within the next week (hopefully in the first half, but with customs, you can never be certain).

From what I understand, chances are you will receive your Medusa around the same time I’ll receive mine, since it didn’t take more than a day for my unit to reach my country. Also, looking on the bright side, in the meantime, you could dedicate more time to the Conch and, eventually, to other incoming IEMs I’m not aware of! 🤣

If you’re curious, I could translate the first Japanese review available for the Medusa (like I did for the ST7). Even in that case, it was Yurufuwa Audio’s review, since he received it sooner than other reviewers. By the way, he also reviewed the Delci, so there’s a chance he will make a quick comparison between the two (you never know).

EDIT: I almost forgot; chances are that many of us on the forum will receive the Medusa within the next week. So, in any case, by the end of the week, you will probably know how the Medusa sounds and how it compares to the Delci (I also have the Delci, by the way).
The only ones coming in late addition are not very inspiring or with any true expectations, but purchases that are mostly because I had credits and why not? They are both $10 or less pretty much (KZ EDX PRO X in a couple hours and the TRN MT4 Pro) and most likely will end up with my son? The rest are documented and I'm done for awhile with purchases of IEMs, but not accessories.

p.s. also because I'm tapped out of credits. LOL aka broke.

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #103,269 of 106,824
The only ones coming in late addition are not very inspiring or with any true expectations, but purchases that are mostly because I had credits and why not? They are both $10 or less pretty much (KZ EDX PRO X in a couple hours and the TRN MT4 Pro) and most likely will end up with my son? The rest are documented and I'm done for awhile with purchases of IEMs, but not accessories.

Join the club bro - the current pay by 3 orders are mounting LOL !!

May 26, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #103,270 of 106,824
Now, as I told @activatorfly, I'm hoping and praying the Project M acts as my endgame, so I can ease up on the IEM purchases, and focus a little on the accessories gear. Though it would still attract the attention of my wife, it wouldn't be in her mind, the same old same old wasting of money on "earphones you don't need". But I also have my mom's Christmas Club acct, which were really popular in the 70's and 80's, and she maintained up until her death. By the time Christmas hits, I'll have a significant amount of money, which I've earmarked for whatever the **** I want to buy. Maybe that new DX180? Or a desktop DAC/Amp? So if the Project M can check all the boxes, that money might go to something else entirely, or if not, that leaves the door open for something more "higher mid-fi or kilobuck"?? Who knows? Here's to eternal hope towards the Project M!

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #103,271 of 106,824
Hey thanks a lot !!......the Fugumikan review when he receives it will be cool...
Regarding Yurufuwa Audio’s review...I'd appreciate a translation if it won't take up too much of your time ?? Wowser a direct comparison with Delci would be ideal, it seems like the most logical comparison tbf ?? - given both of their configs. If there's any hint that Medusa's stage is in the same orbital ball-park as ST7 - I'm pulling the trigger this week (- for the Sea Serpent cable alone!)
Back in the day I bought TRN VX (which cos of weird tuning was deemed a marmite set.) Alas I always loved their conch like fit - so am veering towards the Medusa bigtime !!
Don’t even mention it.
Also, don’t mind—it’s never a bad idea to practice my Japanese.

As for Delci’s comparison, I hope he mentions it in his review—no promises on that front, though. In the worst-case scenario, you’ll need to wait for us on the thread to receive and test the Medusa first! Not a long wait in both cases, though!

I'm in the same boat. As of lately I'm only awaiting the arrival of the Medusa and the Merga. The former, I’m ridiculously hyped for; the latter, not so much—especially after reading your impressions. The good thing is that I managed to get both of them for free (thanks to the giveaway gods!) 🥳

Personally, I own the EDX Lite, which I purchased some time ago for a mere $2.50. Let’s be honest, that price is more fitting for a vegetable at the grocery store than for an IEM. Surprisingly, the EDX Lite has exceeded my expectations. It’s incredibly lightweight and sounds surprisingly decent for the price - not for nothing is my "bed" IEM (notice that bed is written with the "e" and not with the "a" 😂). I hope the EDX Pro will offer you a similar value. As for the MT4, I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but I’m quite curious to hear your impressions about it.

One of the great things about current ultra-budget IEMs in the $10 range, is that they often exceed expectations with their performance, probably due to the fact that expectations are not very high to begin with.

Also, on the broke matter, think that this whole month I spent the exorbitant sum of 10 euros on audio gears - spent it all today to purchase the new TRN cable. Isn't this the epitome of excess! 🤣

May 26, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #103,272 of 106,824
Don’t even mention it.

As for Delci’s comparison, I hope he mentions it in his review—no promises on that front, though. In the worst-case scenario, you’ll need to wait for us on the thread to receive and test the Medusa first! Not a long wait in both cases, though!

I'm in the same boat. As of lately I'm only awaiting the arrival of the Medusa and the Merga. The former, I’m ridiculously hyped for; the latter, not so much—especially after reading your impressions. The good thing is that I managed to get both of them for free (thanks to the giveaway gods!) 🥳
Wish I knew those "giveaway gods" lol...alas my reviewing days are long gone (- hence no freebie samples !!) The trio set comparison between Medusa /ST7/Delci intrigues me bigtime - cos I dig the latter's mids & cohesiveness - but would love to embellish it with the orbital stage of a multi hybrid - hence my curiosity about the Medusa.

May 26, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #103,273 of 106,824
Don’t even mention it.

Personally, I own the EDX Lite, which I purchased some time ago for a mere $2.50. Let’s be honest, that price is more fitting for a vegetable at the grocery store than for an IEM. Surprisingly, the EDX Lite has exceeded my expectations. It’s incredibly lightweight and sounds surprisingly decent for the price - not for nothing is my "bed" IEM (notice that bed is written with the "e" and not with the "a" 😂). I hope the EDX Pro will offer you a similar value. As for the MT4, I haven’t had the chance to try it yet, but I’m quite curious to hear your impressions about it.

One of the great things about current ultra-budget IEMs in the $10 range, is that they often exceed expectations with their performance, probably due to the fact that expectations are not very high to begin with.

Also, on the broke matter, think that this whole month I spent the exorbitant sum of 10 euros on audio gears - spent it all today to purchase the new TRN cable. Isn't this the epitome of excess! 🤣
Yeah, the Merga will require you to mod. It's pretty simple, with the @DynamicEars cotton mod (DE, I disn't have any spare grills lying around, so that's why it looks the way it looks in the pics. The cotton is in fact all the way in the tubing, almost to the driver itself, but I had to smooth out the cotton at the edge of the mouth, where the grill goes, because I don't have any kits. The last one I owned, was the Hifiman one, and that's been lost YEARS AGO! lol). Otherwise, it's a pretty useless IEM. Total garbage. Mod that thing? Then it becomes a very spacious, clear, and competent IEM once you tame those abhorrent upper mids and highs.

May 26, 2024 at 6:43 PM Post #103,274 of 106,824
Here we go my FRC partisans, we finally have our first direct comparison of the Explorer and the DaVinci from one reviewer with one and the same technical measurement setup. This should give us now a better reliability of the curves (as always 60 dB @ 500 Hz):
In this context, big thanks @atechreviews, good job!

graph (3).png

to me it looks like as if DaVinci would have smoked something green back in the old days, he would have called it "Explorer" :sweat_smile:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back