The discovery thread!
May 27, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #103,292 of 106,853
The mangrid tea2 are cute iems. They definetly have a wow factor to them because of the wide headstage. The bass is weird. In a way, they can pack a good punch, but it always feels quite hollow. The texture hovewer is quite unique in a good way.
By hollow, do you mean a lack of note weight ?
However they definetly need eq to be decent with bass-based music
I would hazard to guess, you're either an Uber Basshead or you have a poor seal, with the Tea2.

Try the finger test. Literally apply pressure to both sides, during a test song and see if the low end frequencies improve.

I have had all four and would classify the Tea 2 as being closer to the Top, when it comes to performance and more than an incremental step up, from it's predecessor, the O.G, Tea
Xenns Mangird collection.jpg

May 27, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #103,293 of 106,853
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 vs CCA Trio with Aur Audio Aure throw in!!

So I'm gonna make it brief. It's late and I'm been doing this compare in between clients at work, and now after work. It's getting late and I'm getting sleepy.

Compare playlist (full CD):

1. Katherine Whalen - Dirty Little Secret
2. Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio

KZ ZS10 Pro 2 >> Treble extension (It's a tad more refined and shimmers longer than the Trio, but falls short of the shimmer and extension of the Aure, though it has more timbre refinement than the Aure), Instrument separation, female vocals are more emotive and richer than Trio (but once again fails to reach the depth and detail of the Aure), Bass speed, bass punch and sub bass reach and rumble are equal to the Trio. Soundstage height and depth. Resolution is superior to Aures and Trio.

CCA Trio : Mid bass presence and warmth, detail retrieval, Stage expanse is very similar to ZS10, as is spacing and imaging. Treble is a tad more smooth and safe. Upper mids are safe, but a tad bit thinner, while lower mids have a touch more warmth. This is the warmer "darker" of the two. Less V shaped.

Aur Aures have deeper bass, with the sub bass slam superior to both. The single DD really delivers some bass helf, punch, speed, and slam, while the mids are pushed forward, and with a touch of warmth, allows male and female vocals to be emotive, clear, and detailed. Treble has a tad bit of metallic timbre, but it's ridiculously extended and controlled, shimmers without ever getting sibilant, which cannot be said of the ZS10 (Trio is also never sibilant), though ZS10 is only occasionally that way, and only with tracks that are inherent to sibilance. Soundstage is wide and has depth, with height about equal to Trio, and lagging behind the ZS10. Piano keys and guitars are sharp, clean, clear and resolving. More so than the Trio by a country mile, and just edging out the ZS10, while overall resolution across the spectrum goes to the ZS10. Instrument separation, imaging, and detail retrieval are comparable to the ZS10 and maybe edges the Trio, but all are pretty strong in these attributes. Between the bass and refinement, the Aures are pretty much a step up from the ZS10. Let's do a rating to give you an idea of where they fall in the heirarchy, shall we?

Aur Audio Aures (4/5)
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 (3.5/5)
CCA Trio (3/5)

This ranking would encompass taking all the attributes of each, and giving them a median score, and coming up with the final rating based on the averages of those attributes. It's close, and not much separates the Aures from the Trio, but a few refinements in sound and presentation.

Thanks

Trio + Aure + ZS10 P2.jpg
Well I already have the new ZS10… guess should have skipped the Trio (still incoming ) but everyone here was raving about it haha.

May 27, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #103,294 of 106,853
Wondering what your thoughts are. I have a pre order coupon for the Noir, I would really like the Nightjar singularity but are they worth the extra cash ?
Only have a short time to make my mind up, don’t suppose anyone has both or listen to them both ?
please ignore my post ordered the Noir

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #103,295 of 106,853
In the meantime, I have 5 other IEMs coming in to bump up my budget realm to keep me occupied until the Christmas holidays, as I'm going your route of no more big IEM purchases until maybe the Christmas season,
That quote my friend got me laughing out loud. 🤣 :fingers_crossed:
I get the feeling that this won't happen:thinking:, not with @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2, no, not with you, and not with most of us in this very thread.... because in The Discovery Thread, you better have some cash on the side, unless you're into self flagellation 🤣.

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 7:51 AM Post #103,296 of 106,853
I agree with this notion. If you want to avoid any treble disturbance, but get a pretty close proximation of the ZS10 Pro 2, then my advice is go with the CCA Trio. You'll get a close proximation with no issues with treble, and if by the smallest chance you do, you can flick a switch and bring it down even more. @Okcerg
Trio is tempting, but the white ST7 is so beautiful lol. How's the brightness on Trio vs ST7?

May 27, 2024 at 7:58 AM Post #103,297 of 106,853
That quote my friend got me laughing out loud. 🤣 :fingers_crossed:
I get the feeling that this won't happen:thinking:, not with @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2, no, not with you, and not with most of us in this very thread.... because in The Discovery Thread, you better have some cash on the side, unless you're into self flagellation 🤣.
D'accord: point taken....methinks it's definitely time for a WHIP-ROUND....haha !! >>> :deadhorse:

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 8:39 AM Post #103,299 of 106,853
May 27, 2024 at 9:28 AM Post #103,300 of 106,853
I still need to do more testing so I'll try to answer this question in my review. I can say that after listening to the DaVinci then switching to the ZMF Caldera, the DaVinci obviously has a more intimate soundstage but I actually prefer it because of the emotional response I have to the way the music sounds. Open back headphones obviously have the biggest and best soundstage but they can't really make me feel the way iems do and connect with my music.

Thanks for this and I'm glad you did this comparison. I will most likely skip the Explorer since they are so similar and I doubt it can top the way the DaVinci has captured my heart. I'm seriously thinking of not buying any iem for the rest of the year. I think the DaVinci is THAT good (for me at least) and the other reviews I have coming up will suffer because of it 😅
You're welcome, and I'm glad the comparison was helpful! It sounds like the DaVinci has really impressed you. If you have the DaVinci, it makes sense to skip the Explorer. I think your other reviews might have a tough act to follow after experiencing the DaVinci's performance! 😄

May 27, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #103,302 of 106,853
You're welcome, and I'm glad the comparison was helpful! It sounds like the DaVinci has really impressed you. If you have the DaVinci, it makes sense to skip the Explorer. I think your other reviews might have a tough act to follow after experiencing the DaVinci's performance! 😄
It seems that DUNU, together with Timmy have done their homework very well with the release of the DaVinci. It has all the key ingredients to become an appropriately priced End Game IEM for the majority of Hi-Fi enthusiasts:
  1. It's DUNU, and we all know that they are one of the top brands when it comes to IEM's in terms of R&D, sound, design, quality, and surely to mention also marketing.
  2. Timmy is on the one hand a well experienced reviewer, and on the other hand, he's big enough to get s**tloads of feedback from his community, and the market overall... likely more so than any product- and marketing-manager from DUNU. He is without a doubt, no matter if you agree with him or not, the ideal person to know what the crowd wants.
  3. Bring that together with the goal of still being relatively reasonably priced, and you have created a recipe for great success... and a well deserved one, too.
Congrats from my side @DUNU-Topsound and @TimmyVangtan, you began a new chapter of "how to catch the Zeitgeist and develop a compelling product" :beerchug:

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #103,304 of 106,853
Thanks for this and I'm glad you did this comparison. I will most likely skip the Explorer since they are so similar and I doubt it can top the way the DaVinci has captured my heart. I'm seriously thinking of not buying any iem for the rest of the year. I think the DaVinci is THAT good (for me at least) and the other reviews I have coming up will suffer because of it 😅

Hmm... to me it looks like as if DaVinci would have smoked something green back in the old days, he would have called it "Explorer" :smoking::laughing:

May 27, 2024 at 10:30 AM Post #103,305 of 106,853
Well I already have the new ZS10… guess should have skipped the Trio (still incoming ) but everyone here was raving about it haha.

Not really.. They both have different takes. Trio with mid bass and v smooth treble. It's a warm analogue.

Pro2 is a brighter in comparison...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back