The discovery thread!
May 27, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #103,306 of 106,857
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 vs CCA Trio with Aur Audio Aure throw in!!

So I'm gonna make it brief. It's late and I'm been doing this compare in between clients at work, and now after work. It's getting late and I'm getting sleepy.

KZ ZS10 Pro 2 >> Treble extension (It's a tad more refined and shimmers longer than the Trio, but falls short of the shimmer and extension of the Aure, though it has more timbre refinement than the Aure), Instrument separation, female vocals are more emotive and richer than Trio (but once again fails to reach the depth and detail of the Aure), Bass speed, bass punch and sub bass reach and rumble are equal to the Trio. Soundstage height and depth. Resolution is superior to Aures and Trio.

CCA Trio : Mid bass presence and warmth, detail retrieval, Stage expanse is very similar to ZS10, as is spacing and imaging. Treble is a tad more smooth and safe. Upper mids are safe, but a tad bit thinner, while lower mids have a touch more warmth. This is the warmer "darker" of the two. Less V shaped.

Aur Aures have deeper bass, with the sub bass slam superior to both. The single DD really delivers some bass helf, punch, speed, and slam, while the mids are pushed forward, and with a touch of warmth, allows male and female vocals to be emotive, clear, and detailed. Treble has a tad bit of metallic timbre, but it's ridiculously extended and controlled, shimmers without ever getting sibilant, which cannot be said of the ZS10 (Trio is also never sibilant), though ZS10 is only occasionally that way, and only with tracks that are inherent to sibilance. Soundstage is wide and has depth, with height about equal to Trio, and lagging behind the ZS10. Piano keys and guitars are sharp, clean, clear and resolving. More so than the Trio by a country mile, and just edging out the ZS10, while overall resolution across the spectrum goes to the ZS10. Instrument separation, imaging, and detail retrieval are comparable to the ZS10 and maybe edges the Trio, but all are pretty strong in these attributes. Between the bass and refinement, the Aures are pretty much a step up from the ZS10. Let's do a rating to give you an idea of where they fall in the heirarchy, shall we?

Aur Audio Aures (4/5)
KZ ZS10 Pro 2 (3.5/5)
CCA Trio (3/5)

This ranking would encompass taking all the attributes of each, and giving them a median score, and coming up with the final rating based on the averages of those attributes. It's close, and not much separates the Aures from the Trio, but a few refinements in sound and presentation.

Thanks

Great post.
Would just want to make one thing clearer.
The bass on zs10pro2 is a lot tighter, cleaner, and punchier than Trio. Trio has this, as you say, midbass swell which can make it trumpety. Not so with Pro2. That midbass swellness suits certain genres of course. Pro2 is a lot tighter and better in quality, not just in comparison with trio but way higher sets. For eg. Penonfan2 or og simgots.

But in the end, Pro2 will live or die in your ears depending on your treble preferences. If it does, then it's an awesome set not just for its price but higher, as then that combo of resolution and bass elevates it.

May 27, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #103,307 of 106,857
Trying to get a handle on the staging of Davinci - does it have that speaker like presentation where most of the music is happening inside and/or contained slightly in front of your head, or does it have that immersive wrap-around-your-head effect that only gets more pronounced with volume
I still need to do more testing so I'll try to answer this question in my review. I can say that after listening to the DaVinci then switching to the ZMF Caldera, the DaVinci obviously has a more intimate soundstage but I actually prefer it because of the emotional response I have to the way the music sounds. Open back headphones obviously have the biggest and best soundstage but they can't really make me feel the way iems do and connect with my music.
Hello there,

IMG_20240527_115018.jpg

I A/B tested the AFUL Explorer and DUNU DaVinci for 30 minutes. Here’s what I found:

Bass
Both IEMs offer similar bass quantity, but the quality differs significantly. The Explorer's bass is excellent with a satisfying rumble, resembling high-quality 2-channel speakers with precise, clean bass. Enjoyable and honestly lacks nothing. You enjoy the bass as well as the vocals and instruments. The DaVinci, on the other hand, provides more texture, a more powerful slam, more separation, punch, and impact. It delivers a tactile experience, making bass-heavy tracks feel more tactile and in-your-face. It’s like adding a subwoofer to those 2-channel speakers, drawing attention to the clean, impactful bass in every song. I can feel the bass of the DaVinci in most songs with bass guitars (clean and separated) and bass heavy hip hop and EDM tracks. I found myself raising the volume (for a second or two) more when listening to the DaVinci because of the bass, same way you raise the volume to hear more of that enjoyable subwoofer bass. (Please use moderate volume to protect your hearing)

Upper Mids
The DaVinci presents more forward upper mids, enhancing instruments like cellos, violins, and higher-pitched vocals. While the Explorer offers balanced and clear vocals, the DaVinci makes them slightly more forward and pronounced. The Explorer compensates with an intimate, close-to-ear vocal presentation, making the difference less pronounced unless directly compared.

Treble
The DaVinci has more treble extension, offering more forward and defined cymbals and synths. On the Explorer, these elements sound clear and balanced without being fatiguing. A/B testing revealed that the DaVinci brings synths, and cymbal strikes closer to the ear, providing more definition and clarity.

Soundstage
The DaVinci has a wider soundstage with good sense of depth, while the Explorer has a more intimate presentation. Both are enjoyable in their own ways.

Resolution
Overall, the DaVinci offers higher resolution due to its forward upper mids and better treble extension. It provides greater clarity and instrument separation, making individual guitar strings and vocals more pronounced. The bass also has more detail and separation. Other than the bass, this is the other aspect that is easily audible to me when comparing them. More clarity, resolution, and instrument separation on the DaVinci.

Comparing the AFUL Explorer side by side with the DaVinci was revealing. Here are some key takeaways:
  1. I spent more time than usual on this comparison, highlighting the Explorer's impressive performance.
  2. The Explorer offers incredible value, especially considering it’s being compared to the more expensive DaVinci with twice the number of drivers.
  3. In my opinion, owning both isn’t necessary since the DaVinci is an upgrade to the Explorer.
We live in an exciting time for audiophiles. Brands like DUNU, AFUL, and many others are constantly pushing boundaries, and we’re the ones benefiting from their innovations.
Thanks for this and I'm glad you did this comparison. I will most likely skip the Explorer since they are so similar and I doubt it can top the way the DaVinci has captured my heart. I'm seriously thinking of not buying any iem for the rest of the year. I think the DaVinci is THAT good (for me at least) and the other reviews I have coming up will suffer because of it 😅

May 27, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #103,308 of 106,857
Great post.
Would just want to make one thing clearer.
The bass on zs10pro2 is a lot tighter, cleaner, and punchier than Trio. Trio has this, as you say, midbass swell which can make it trumpety. Not so with Pro2. That midbass swellness suits certain genres of course. Pro2 is a lot tighter and better in quality, not just in comparison with trio but way higher sets. For eg. Penonfan2 or og simgots.

But in the end, Pro2 will live or die in your ears depending on your treble preferences. If it does, then it's an awesome set not just for its price but higher, as then that combo of resolution and bass elevates it.
Forgot to list what I was listening to!

I'll post it in the response and then update it on the OG post :

1. Katherine Whalen - Dirty Little Secret
2. Robert Glasper Experiment - Black Radio

May 27, 2024 at 3:31 AM Post #103,309 of 106,857
Comparing the AFUL Explorer side by side with the DaVinci was revealing. Here are some key takeaways:
  1. I spent more time than usual on this comparison, highlighting the Explorer's impressive performance.
  2. The Explorer offers incredible value, especially considering it’s being compared to the more expensive DaVinci with twice the number of drivers.
  3. In my opinion, owning both isn’t necessary since the DaVinci is an upgrade to the Explorer.
Thanks a ton for this. At its price, explorer does tempt. Will just hold out for now as couple of other iem decisions need to be taken :)

May 27, 2024 at 3:33 AM Post #103,310 of 106,857
Gosh for $25 it’s hard to not just try even for the looks but that 16ish DB ear gain and those BAs in the nozzle just makes it hard to believe they won’t be shouty and these days I find myself more allergic to sibilance and wanting dat bass
It just tells you to trust your ears and not your eyes!

May 27, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #103,311 of 106,857
But in the end, Pro2 will live or die in your ears depending on your treble preferences.
I had to stuff foam in Conch nozzle and Nuo's treble was too harsh for me, so I guess that means I should skip Pro2 then?
EDIT: Conch with foam are great BTW

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #103,312 of 106,857
I still need to do more testing so I'll try to answer this question in my review. I can say that after listening to the DaVinci then switching to the ZMF Caldera, the DaVinci obviously has a more intimate soundstage but I actually prefer it because of the emotional response I have to the way the music sounds. Open back headphones obviously have the biggest and best soundstage but they can't really make me feel the way iems do and connect with my music.

Thanks for this and I'm glad you did this comparison. I will most likely skip the Explorer since they are so similar and I doubt it can top the way the DaVinci has captured my heart. I'm seriously thinking of not buying any iem for the rest of the year. I think the DaVinci is THAT good (for me at least) and the other reviews I have coming up will suffer because of it 😅
That's the way I feel about the KZ ZS10 Pro 2. It grabs me by the feels, and it brings emotions out of me, especially last night playing through the Sony WM1A. It was like a religious experience listening to Bob Marley's Natty Dread album. Just an emotional headtrip.

I am hoping the Project M hits me that way? Hope it's my DaVinci? In the meantime, I have 5 other IEMs coming in to bump up my budget realm to keep me occupied until the Christmas holidays, as I'm going your route of no more big IEM purchases until maybe the Christmas season, and then it might be DACs or DAPs or amps?

May 27, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #103,313 of 106,857
I had to stuff foam in Conch nozzle and Nuo's treble was too harsh for me, so I guess that means I should skip Pro2 then?
EDIT: Conch with foam are great BTW
The Pro 2 is not tizzy. It just has a tendency of being "bright" sometimes, but it's nothing offensive or off putting, but if you're treble sensitive, it might be borderline. Do you have Simgots?

May 27, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #103,314 of 106,857

Am afraid I haven't heard either. Perhaps @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 can help.
Zs10pro2 only gets occasionally sibilant when the track is inherently that - as freewheel said. I haven't even changed eartips: like it as it was.

Not that I don't find stuff harsh in any iem i didnt like the shoutfest that was og simgot. Pro2 isn't that category. But if any doubt, better avoid i guess

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:02 AM Post #103,315 of 106,857
Wonder what explorer vs supermix 4 looks like. And any other potential IEM in this same budget segment for that matter.

... Although knowing myself, I'm likely not buying any IEM until late 2025 at least.
Here you go:

graph (22).png

on another note, what I found interesting is the "unfair" comparison between these two:

> at least the tuning looks quite similar, except the 6-8 kHz push for about 3-5 dB with the Glacier... surely not really to be compared with one another, but still interesting how both of these "supermix" IEM's sound and how different their technicalities really are with that huuuge price difference... in the end why th not? :grin:

graph (25).png

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #103,316 of 106,857
That's the way I feel about the KZ ZS10 Pro 2. It grabs me by the feels, and it brings emotions out of me, especially last night playing through the Sony WM1A. It was like a religious experience listening to Bob Marley's Natty Dread album. Just an emotional headtrip.

I am hoping the Project M hits me that way? Hope it's my DaVinci? In the meantime, I have 5 other IEMs coming in to bump up my budget realm to keep me occupied until the Christmas holidays, as I'm going your route of no more big IEM purchases until maybe the Christmas season, and then it might be DACs or DAPs or amps?

Going by the reviews,I f you are going to be satisfied with the sub bass quality slam on project M, then you going to love it,am going to wager. As everything else seems right in your alley . It will come down to how much quantity bass you want. No other iem in this price range has been raved as much as project M has been for its treble quality

Am quite tempted myself to get it for its treble airiness but holding out as I am keen on a flagship from 634ears. Awaiting @Leonarfd impressions on it, comparing to Miroak-ii. If the difference isn't that great, then i might go hear the project M .

Last edited:
May 27, 2024 at 4:11 AM Post #103,318 of 106,857
Am afraid I haven't heard either. Perhaps @FreeWheelinAudioLuv2 can help.
Zs10pro2 only gets occasionally sibilant when the track is inherently that - as freewheel said. I haven't even changed eartips: like it as it was.

Not that I don't find stuff harsh in any iem i didnt like the shoutfest that was og simgot. Pro2 isn't that category. But if any doubt, better avoid i guess
I agree with this notion. If you want to avoid any treble disturbance, but get a pretty close proximation of the ZS10 Pro 2, then my advice is go with the CCA Trio. You'll get a close proximation with no issues with treble, and if by the smallest chance you do, you can flick a switch and bring it down even more. @Okcerg

May 27, 2024 at 4:26 AM Post #103,319 of 106,857
Going by the reviews,I f you are going to be satisfied with the sub bass quality slam on project M, then you going to love it,am going to wager. As everything else seems right in your alley . It will come down to how much quantity bass you want. No other iem in this price range has been raved as much as project M has been for its treble quality

Am quite tempted myself to get it for its treble airiness but holding out as I am keen on a flagship from 634ears. Awaiting @Leonarfd impressions on it, comparing to Miroak-ii. If the difference isn't that great, then i might go hear the project M .
Already in my neighbour town, but not scheduled for delivery before two days 😅

On another note, I will also get Project M in June. Look forward to that one also.

May 27, 2024 at 4:40 AM Post #103,320 of 106,857
Hello all,

Looking for an alternative to the Hype2 after having a really poor QC experience. I like bass, and I enjoy a neutral adjacent tone. A tad sensitive to sibilance (I am upgrading from the S12 and those are too fatiguing for me after an hour or so, and they fit weird) so looking so a little more warmth as well maybe. Around $300-400 range.

Currently eyeing -
Xenns Mangrid Tea2 (and maybe the Mangrid Top?)
Aful Performer 8
Moondrop Blessing 3 (maybe Variations)
Ikko OH10S (for a cheaper option)

I am welcoming any different options, or opinions on what is listed here. Thank you!
The mangrid tea2 are cute iems. They definetly have a wow factor to them because of the wide headstage. The bass is weird. In a way, they can pack a good punch, but it always feels quite hollow. The texture hovewer is quite unique in a good way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back